“Bit tatty but pleasant enough”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Bit tatty but pleasant enough”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here midweek during the rugby league World Cup. Clearly a fine hotel when it was built, it's a little in need of care and attention. Was woken by the chap next door having a shower. The downstairs looks a little like my Nan's front room, quite homely and old fashioned. Right opposite the station, so easy to get to, and close to the town centre and Workington Town RLFC.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is, it is right next to train station. The decor is dated, service was average, rooms were cold, old and uncomfortable. Avoid this hotel!!! there are plenty more available only up the road with much better value for money. The most annoying, rude man at front of house really made my decision to write a review, as I wouldn't normally.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Karen P

Travellers are raving about these Workington hotels

Auchinleck, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have just spent 4 days at the Cumberland Hotel,yes it could do with a bit of updating!!! but the food and the service were good,no complaints there,we were on the first floor the noise from the entertainment was very very loud !!!!!! it was over by 11pm though thank goodness,we were with David Urquhart coach tour,great value no problems going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liz m
UK
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Room was fine except for the leak in the bathroom ceiling. Tea/coffee facilities and tv. Bar/ lounge is full of furniture which made it quite hazardous for someone like myself who has a visual impairment. Definitely not recommended for people with mobility problems due to the number of steps.
Staff were friendly and helpful. I had some sympathy with the lady serving breakfast as she seemed to be alone despite there being a coach party staying. She also had to cover reception.
Handy for the train station which is just across the road.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Broxburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We visited this hotel with a coach tour and stayed for 4 nights and were to visit the Lake District.
Steps up into hotel, then steps down to reception. As reported by others lift only took 1 person with one suitcase if you were lucky. Our double bedded room had a 4 poster, but that is where the excitement ended. Carpet had black spots all over it and it was gritty to walk on. Hair Dryer on switch had to be held down while it was in use, which is no good. Shower was good size but shower door panel came off in my hand as it was not fitted into grooves properly, then the shower head was not stay in the fitting nor wood the shower head stay up on its own it kept sliding down riser. Food was very good, but limited choice, however, to be fair it was enough and there was plenty of it, in fact too much, there was a lot of waste, even when people asked for small portions. Staff mostly friendly although one particular female gave a grunt when you asked for anything. Tea and toast on table before you got in for breakfast, hence it was cold and had to ask for fresh. Lift broke down one day so stairs had to be negotiated, which was a nightmare for me with arthritis pretty bad in knees. Asked reception about shower etc and although was promised it would be attended to it never was while we were there. Also no grab rail in shower. As someone else mentioned this hotel does not really cater for disabled people.

Room Tip: Not possible to recommend any rooms. Our rooms faced side but got noise from traffic, which did not...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agnes65
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

it was a last minute idea to go to the lakes on our motorcycles for the weekend, and in august was nearly impossible to find anywhere to stay for 6 bikers, ( 4 guys ladies) but Steve booked us in at the Cumberland hotel for £35 per night each,with a locked compound for the bikes it was looking good.
we had read the reports on trip advisor !!, and were pleasantly surprised when we turned up, yes I admit a lot of what is put on here is correct, it is very dated decor, yes it does need a coat of paint to the outside of this massive building, but these things don't matter to me, I want a comfy bed, a good clean room, and a working shower, telly and tea and coffee are a bonus.
I nearly got them all !!,the shower was great, we had a small flat screen telly, we had some instant tea and coffee, and when I asked for more some more milk I was given a jug of fresh cold milk, the room was warm and dry, and the bathroom was massive !,but my bed was awful, the mattress was very lumpy and sloped, I could feel the springs, and didn't sleep very well at all, but the bedding was spotless and smelt clean, I was just unlucky, everyone else's was fine.....oh well !
the room was in need of a coat of paint, and a few finishing touches, and so was the bathroom, the hotel also has a well stocked and large lounge bar area, we went for breakfast on the Sunday morning and there was everything you expect, a very nice cooked full English, with hot tea and coffee, cereal and fruit juice.
overall I would say, lovely staff, they couldn't do enough for us, lovely breakfast, very dated decor, but ask yourselves " do I stay at a hotel for one night, to admire the decor?".

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed her while visiting the area for business. I arrived mid-evening tired from a long journey and there were no staff around. I kept pressing the bell with no response. Eventually a man came out and I was told my room had been let to someone else! I was told it would be 2 minutes get an alternative room ready but it took more like 30mins. I was offered a glass of wine but all I wanted was a shower. Eventually I was taken to my room which smelled like an entire can of cheap air freshened had just been sprayed in. It was small and dirty and very badly maintained. The cables were pulled out of the TV, I had to reconnect and retune. The radiator did not work. There was a stained 'decorative' cushion on the bed. There was hair in the bed and the whole room was very dusty.
There was a coach party staying and although my room was on the top floor, I could hear the loud entertainment all evening.
At breakfast time, there were no clean tables (one poor waitress run off her feet!) she cleared a table for me, only removing the cutlery on the plates so I was left with the last persons spoon for my cereal! My coffee cup was also grimey... Even after a shower I left the place feeling dirty! Decor is old and tired and in desperate need of a complete overhaul. I will never stay again and urge you not to either!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Chester2222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
#4 of 9 in Workington
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel

Been to The Cumberland Hotel? Share your experiences!