“Feel like I'm at boarding school”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

First the good bits. The hotel is by the train station so is handy for that and (who I presume is the owner) is chatty and fruendly (even though it seemed she was complaining that the hotel gets busy). So each of those points add up to the 2 rating. Now what isn't so good. It feels a bit like a prison. I'm a grown professional adult but all of the literature feels like it is telling you off. The hotel guide had a complaints policy that hints if you do complain you won't get anywhere with it anyway. Even when it tells ypu to enjoy your stay it seems like an instruction rather than a wish. You have to leave your key every time you go out and collect it when you get back (accompanied by another sign lecturing you on the reason why - health and safety apparently) this made me feel like I couldn't stay out late. When I got back at 10.30 the owners were having drinks and food in the guests lounge and it really seemed like I was disturbing them in their own home when I asked for my key. The decor is very very old fashioned. Far too busy, lots of ornaments and pictures of cats. There are also two cats wondering around the hotel (giving the evil eye). There is a small choice of hot items on the breakfast menu (sausage, bacon, eggs, beans, tomatoes, hash browns etc) but I was told what I would be having (only sausage, bacon, egg and beans apparently). There is no other hot option. The only other items available are cereal and toast. The bathroom decor seems to be the worst of the 1970's. The bathroom is large and could easily accommodate at nice bit luxurious bath but it has a small cheap one instead. In the bedroom the base sheet on the bed was dirty where the sheet meets the floor. All in all not a great hotel. It's a shame there are very few hotels to choose from in Workington. A travelodge or a premier inn charging about 60-70 quid a night B&B would make a killing. This hotel in most other towns woupd be vastly overpriced. It really isn't worth 80 quid. I'm having to spend a fair bit of time in workington and really hope I don't have to stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank toferbrum

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here midweek during the rugby league World Cup. Clearly a fine hotel when it was built, it's a little in need of care and attention. Was woken by the chap next door having a shower. The downstairs looks a little like my Nan's front room, quite homely and old fashioned. Right opposite the station, so easy to get to, and close to the town centre and Workington Town RLFC.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is, it is right next to train station. The decor is dated, service was average, rooms were cold, old and uncomfortable. Avoid this hotel!!! there are plenty more available only up the road with much better value for money. The most annoying, rude man at front of house really made my decision to write a review, as I wouldn't normally.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Karen P
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have just spent 4 days at the Cumberland Hotel,yes it could do with a bit of updating!!! but the food and the service were good,no complaints there,we were on the first floor the noise from the entertainment was very very loud !!!!!! it was over by 11pm though thank goodness,we were with David Urquhart coach tour,great value no problems going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank liz m
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Room was fine except for the leak in the bathroom ceiling. Tea/coffee facilities and tv. Bar/ lounge is full of furniture which made it quite hazardous for someone like myself who has a visual impairment. Definitely not recommended for people with mobility problems due to the number of steps.
Staff were friendly and helpful. I had some sympathy with the lady serving breakfast as she seemed to be alone despite there being a coach party staying. She also had to cover reception.
Handy for the train station which is just across the road.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We visited this hotel with a coach tour and stayed for 4 nights and were to visit the Lake District.
Steps up into hotel, then steps down to reception. As reported by others lift only took 1 person with one suitcase if you were lucky. Our double bedded room had a 4 poster, but that is where the excitement ended. Carpet had black spots all over it and it was gritty to walk on. Hair Dryer on switch had to be held down while it was in use, which is no good. Shower was good size but shower door panel came off in my hand as it was not fitted into grooves properly, then the shower head was not stay in the fitting nor wood the shower head stay up on its own it kept sliding down riser. Food was very good, but limited choice, however, to be fair it was enough and there was plenty of it, in fact too much, there was a lot of waste, even when people asked for small portions. Staff mostly friendly although one particular female gave a grunt when you asked for anything. Tea and toast on table before you got in for breakfast, hence it was cold and had to ask for fresh. Lift broke down one day so stairs had to be negotiated, which was a nightmare for me with arthritis pretty bad in knees. Asked reception about shower etc and although was promised it would be attended to it never was while we were there. Also no grab rail in shower. As someone else mentioned this hotel does not really cater for disabled people.

Room Tip: Not possible to recommend any rooms. Our rooms faced side but got noise from traffic, which did not...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Agnes65
Reviewed 12 August 2013

it was a last minute idea to go to the lakes on our motorcycles for the weekend, and in august was nearly impossible to find anywhere to stay for 6 bikers, ( 4 guys ladies) but Steve booked us in at the Cumberland hotel for £35 per night each,with a locked compound for the bikes it was looking good.
we had read the reports on trip advisor !!, and were pleasantly surprised when we turned up, yes I admit a lot of what is put on here is correct, it is very dated decor, yes it does need a coat of paint to the outside of this massive building, but these things don't matter to me, I want a comfy bed, a good clean room, and a working shower, telly and tea and coffee are a bonus.
I nearly got them all !!,the shower was great, we had a small flat screen telly, we had some instant tea and coffee, and when I asked for more some more milk I was given a jug of fresh cold milk, the room was warm and dry, and the bathroom was massive !,but my bed was awful, the mattress was very lumpy and sloped, I could feel the springs, and didn't sleep very well at all, but the bedding was spotless and smelt clean, I was just unlucky, everyone else's was fine.....oh well !
the room was in need of a coat of paint, and a few finishing touches, and so was the bathroom, the hotel also has a well stocked and large lounge bar area, we went for breakfast on the Sunday morning and there was everything you expect, a very nice cooked full English, with hot tea and coffee, cereal and fruit juice.
overall I would say, lovely staff, they couldn't do enough for us, lovely breakfast, very dated decor, but ask yourselves " do I stay at a hotel for one night, to admire the decor?".

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends