“Wouldn't recommend staying here”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't recommend staying here”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The scaffolding outside the hotel gives you an idea of what to expect inside. Everything looks really tired and worn and needs renovating. My bath had several rust stains, the tap was leaking in the sink (even though there is a sign asking guests not to waste water) and the tiles were cracked. The bedding seemed clean if a little grey. The floor boards creak a lot and the very small lift shakes so much that my bed actually vibrated every time it went up or down. The staff were generally nice except for a young guy who seemed pretty clueless and had to be prompted to take food/drinks orders and didn't seem to know what was on the menu. The evening entertainment is incredibly loud considering how small the room is and how close everyone was sitting. If you don't want to watch it you'll hear it anyway even if you're 2 floors up and have ear plugs! the food was quite nice although my steak was overcooked. I would definitely recommend the lamb chops though. The only wifi on offer is the cloud which isn't very good and doesn't reach the top floor. All in all I didn't have a particularly restful stay or much sleep and I won't be staying again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JAb177

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

we spent 4 nights here in April with a David Urquhart coach tour, Friendly hotel with good decor, Food was excellent - we really enjoyed it, We would recommend and happily go again. good value for money

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ben C
Whitley Bay
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Cheap, chintzy place that's good for a night with your mates before a coast to coast bike ride or for contractors. I wouldn't take the other half unless you want her to think you want a divorce. It's clean enough but everything is an antique and that's not a complement.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BigMushy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We went on a coach holiday with David Urquhart 21/4/14 for 4 nights. When we arrived at the Hotel it was surrounded by scaffolding. The room we were in was clean, the floor boards groaned and squeaked. The bath had several rust marks on it, and to top it off , our view out of our bedroom window was rusty scaffolding. When we spoke to the manager, we were told that the floor boards were nothing to do with him and that what do we expect on a budget holiday. The Hotel was a total disappointment and I would not recommend anyone to stay there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Audrey F

Travellers are raving about these Workington hotels

Millport18
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. It is right beside Workington Station. It is a chintzy type of hotel. Does coach parties and the like. My room was a bit tired but it was spotless and the bed was excellent - way better than a five star hotel I stayed in last week. The welcome was superb and the hotel was lovely and warm after coming in from a cold night. Beautiful flowers throughout the hotel and an excellent breakfast.

Would I go back - not my normal type of hotel but would return without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Millport18
West Midlands
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

First the good bits. The hotel is by the train station so is handy for that and (who I presume is the owner) is chatty and fruendly (even though it seemed she was complaining that the hotel gets busy). So each of those points add up to the 2 rating. Now what isn't so good. It feels a bit like a prison. I'm a grown professional adult but all of the literature feels like it is telling you off. The hotel guide had a complaints policy that hints if you do complain you won't get anywhere with it anyway. Even when it tells ypu to enjoy your stay it seems like an instruction rather than a wish. You have to leave your key every time you go out and collect it when you get back (accompanied by another sign lecturing you on the reason why - health and safety apparently) this made me feel like I couldn't stay out late. When I got back at 10.30 the owners were having drinks and food in the guests lounge and it really seemed like I was disturbing them in their own home when I asked for my key. The decor is very very old fashioned. Far too busy, lots of ornaments and pictures of cats. There are also two cats wondering around the hotel (giving the evil eye). There is a small choice of hot items on the breakfast menu (sausage, bacon, eggs, beans, tomatoes, hash browns etc) but I was told what I would be having (only sausage, bacon, egg and beans apparently). There is no other hot option. The only other items available are cereal and toast. The bathroom decor seems to be the worst of the 1970's. The bathroom is large and could easily accommodate at nice bit luxurious bath but it has a small cheap one instead. In the bedroom the base sheet on the bed was dirty where the sheet meets the floor. All in all not a great hotel. It's a shame there are very few hotels to choose from in Workington. A travelodge or a premier inn charging about 60-70 quid a night B&B would make a killing. This hotel in most other towns woupd be vastly overpriced. It really isn't worth 80 quid. I'm having to spend a fair bit of time in workington and really hope I don't have to stay in this hotel again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank toferbrum
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here midweek during the rugby league World Cup. Clearly a fine hotel when it was built, it's a little in need of care and attention. Was woken by the chap next door having a shower. The downstairs looks a little like my Nan's front room, quite homely and old fashioned. Right opposite the station, so easy to get to, and close to the town centre and Workington Town RLFC.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
#4 of 9 in Workington
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel

Been to The Cumberland Hotel? Share your experiences!