“At home while away”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Dundee, United Kingdom
“At home while away”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Have to say the hotel and environs didn't look much as we drew up and we were a bit concerned initially.
Not to worry though as receptionist immediately made us feel very welcome and swiftly had us booked in in and dealt with our parking queries.
The room was clean, spacious and had good sized quality TV, coffee/tea making dubbings etc., etc.
Bathroom on a par with hotels in general, could have done with more shelf room but I'm niggling here. Loads of hot water instantly on tap.
Good long breakfast times, plenty of choice and excellent quality. No black pudding for me unfortunately but it will be there from now on I'm told.
All the staff were lovely, putting you at your ease and making you feel like an old friend they were glad to see again. Very helpful with any problems and local knowledge.
If I'm down that way again, they will be first on my list, only caveat is I don't think they had a lift and the stairs to bedrooms are steep so probably not the choice if you are infirm.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lynn P, Owner at Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. All your great feedback has been passed on to our team who greatly appreciate your comments. We would love to have you stay with us again whenever you are in the area. Black pudding is now on the breakfast menu !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

For the start of our C2C, this hotel suited the bill very well. It was good value with a safe place to store our bikes, and generally had a lovely atmosphere. The inside is refreshingly nicer than the outside so don't be put off by pics of the outside. The double room had a refurbished bathroom. the 2 x singles didn't and it felt a bit 'grubby' round the edges. The bedlinen was perfectly clean but 'tired'. I think they will be refurbishing all rooms over time. I slept very well. Breakfast was a large selection buffet - all good. The staff were lovely and warm and gave us a lovely welcome and send off.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
sheffield
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Wonderful staff, welcoming, approachable and accommodating. Rooms ok bit small but big problem was the shower or the lack of water halfway through a shower! Not good. Not once but twice!
Food on the other hand at the Waverly was very good even for me, the vegetarian. So don't go searching, relax and put your feet up and eat drink and be merry at the Waverly but be warned about the showers!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
DARWEN
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed here one night as part of a coastal walking holiday. As I walked towards the location I began to wonder: the area is not preposessing, but rather down-at-heel, making me feel that the hotel might be something similar. But as soon as I opened the door i relaxed. I found a modern hotel, clean, bright and attractive. The reception was friendly, efficient and helpful. The room was all it had to be, clean, well-decorated and inviting; I slept well. The young barman was very efficient, and keen to be of service. I chose the table d'hote menu, and for £10.25 I got an excellent soup; a main course of roast beef (lots of it), Yorkshire, three veg, roast and mashed potato, and a gravy boat (a gravy boat!), all very well-cooked and tasty; and apple crumble and custard, could have had cream. Fantastic value.
The breakfast was from 7.00, which is very handy for me; it was buffet-style, as much as I could want, with as much choice as I could need. Yum. And the lady in attendance was also friendly and helpful.
It's unlikely I'll ever stay in Workington again, but if I do I will certainly come here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Lynn P, Manager at Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeded your expectations. The team work hard to ensure everyone has a pleasant stay. Thank you!
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I took my Mother to stay at the Waverley as we were attending a family wedding. She has mobility problems with stairs but the Staff provided the closest room available up one flight and offered assistance each time she wanted to use the stairs. I have to rate the service provided by the Staff as exceptional (I travel regularly on business in Europe in 4/5* hotels) as nothing was too much trouble and often, they anticipated our needs. Critically, the hotel infrastructure is tired (took a while for my shower to heat up) but then it is a family-run hotel aiming to deliver good honest service and food - it does just that! Not pretentious but reasonable value for money

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
The Lakes
Reviewed 24 May 2013

It has taken some time for me to get round to this (sorry for the delay guys). I booked the Waverly for some guests of mine who were coming over from France for my wedding in the lakes and they could not have been more helpful. We had a mix of all ages and everyone had a great time. The staff dealt with Taxis and advice on the local area, the rooms were spotless clean and everyone said what great value for money it was.

Top tip? Try the Sunday lunch. It is amazing.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

The room was very expensive, £60 is a rip off. The room was old fashioned, and very disappointing. It had cracks in the walls and ceiling. The shower was freezing and did not get warm. At 3 o'clock in the morning, the staff were emptying the bottles outside which was very loud. I will only say that the staff and bed were nice, however the bed was two singles joined together. I will not be visiting again.

• Stayed May 2013