“Stuck for hotel choice near Workington”

Melbreak Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

The good bits:
Easy to find just off the A66. Grand views over open countryside. Lovely conservatory (even on a cold winters night). Very personable staff. Breakfast cooked fresh.

The not so good bits:
Quite expensive for what you get. Room (5) was basic and a bit cramped - 2nd person in double bed has to clamber to get in or out of bed. Small tired bathroom. Breakfast was basic with traditional fry-up. Main meal choice was quite limited especially if you stay 2 or more nights - 3 vegetarian choices including a risotto that was more rice pudding than paella.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Stephen C
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Melbreak.

I can only agree with your comments regarding room 5; it is rather cramped, particularly for a family. This is something we hope to address this year as we are planning a long overdue refurbishment of our bedrooms and bathrooms, and plan to make some of our rooms adjoining to accommodate families in a more spacious way.

Likewise, we are also in the process of rolling out a new menu which should hopefully offer a more varied choice of dishes for all types of diets.

Once again, thank you for your comments. Hopefully you will return in the future to sample our refurbished rooms and our new restaurant menu.

Caroline

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We visited the hotel for a meal on 4th December 2012.

The restaurant was spacious, clean and welcoming and the staff were friendly.
The food was very nice with good sized portions and reasonably priced at approximately £25 per head for a 3 course meal including drinks.

If we had a criticism it is that the car park is badly lit and the signage to the hotel is poor. We were with people local to the area who knew the hotel but had I been driving myself I would not have know where the entrance was and how to get onto the car park.

Not wanting to be picky and it's only a small thing, but we did notice that there were 4 beer mats shoved under the leg of our to stop it rocking. It did spoil the look a little as attention to detail was so evident elsewhere in the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jinoulu
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I received a warm welcome from the reception desk, and the bar staff and waiting staff were all very friendly. The evenings meals were fine, nothing too fancy, but good wholesome fair.
I was particularly impressed with the breakfast area, which was very modern, clean and light.
The drawback for me was that to get to my room, I had to go outside. Not a big problem on a warm sunny day, but when I stayed it was raining heavily, and was very cold. So after a hot meal in the bar, I got soaked going back to my room.
I also had a problem finding the hotel, as when my satnav told me I had arrived I could not see the hotel. This is probably an issue with my satnav, rather than the hotel, but clearer signage might just have helped.
Overall though, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2012

Dear Martin
Thank you for your review; I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I understand your point about having to go outside to get to your room. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about this just at present however, I will look into providing guests with complimentary umberellas to avoid getting soaked on the way back to bedrooms.

I can also understand your frustration at not being able to find the hotel easily. Unfortunately, despite frequently requesting better signage, the local authorities insist that as the hotel can be seen from the road side, that signage is unnecessary. Hopefully, one day, perhaps with the help of reviews such as yours, we can prove to them that additional signage is indeed necessary and essential if we are to continue attracting customers.

Thanks once again for your review; they prove invaluable in improving our service.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

I would have said this was more of a motel then a hotel, but what do I know.
The welcome was warm and friendly depite the fact I was as filthy as a coal miner having just spent 12 hours doing some engineering work in a local factory, I really appreciated that, thanks!
The rooms are clean, modern, well appointed and warm!
The food was very good and plenty of it, and when there was nothing I fancied on the menu the chef russled something else up, brilliant customer service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John F
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Hi John F

Thank you for your review; it's really good to hear you enjoyed your stay and glad we could be of service. Hopefully the next time you are in the area you will consider using us again.

Caroline

Reviewed 3 October 2012

As I was travelling for business I wasn't looking for a beautiful romantic hotel, which is a good job, because this hotel is desperately in need of a make-over. Contrary to recent reviews, I found my room to be extremely tired and dated. The room was also cold because the radiators were full of air. I didn't want to use the bedspread to keep myself warm as it smelt very fusty. Thankfully I had some pliers in the car to bleed the radiators and make the room warm, but I recommend visitors bring their own radiator key just in case. Unfortunately I forgot my shower gel. Handy sackets of shower gel are provided, but there is no place to tear them and I really couldn't get into them. Other people had tried before me - I could see the marks from their teeth in the sachets.
Anyway, it's a tired hotel and it's way too expensive. If it was £50 a night then I wouldn't complain. I am posting a picture of the outside from my stay in the past week.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear Richard H

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel and your comments.

As I responded to a previous reviewer, I agree that some of our rooms are indeed dated and in need of renovation, however, as I have also previously stated, we are generally a busy hotel, thus they unfortunately have to be done as and when we have the available time.

I am also sorry that your room was cold. Without prior knowledge, it is impossible to predict whether our guests prefer their rooms hot or cold, therefore the housekeeping staff generally tend to leave the radiators on a medium setting. I have made enquiries with our staff members regarding the issue with the radiator, who assure me that no one reported any such problems on this particular evening, nor was it mentioned when checking out. I am quite alarmed to learn that you felt the need to bleed the hotel radiator with your pliers which may or may not have resulted in damaging the bleed nipple. Perhaps a simple call to reception might have been more appropriate as we could have arranged for a member of staff to attend to the problem with a bleed key, or we could have moved you to another and more suitable room.

I also find it quite sad that you feel the need to post a picture of the car park claiming it as the view of the outside of the hotel. Yes, it is true that some of the rooms do overlook parts of the car park but they also overlook fields, fells and gardens, something which you have chosen to omit from your review.

As for the issue of price (and value for money), I have researched other hotels in the area and feel we are quite competitively priced with hotels similar to ourselves; as you can see from the various other guests who have reviewed their stay, generally the hotel is well liked with most comments being complimentary regarding all aspects of the hotel, including our staff and the facilities and services on offer.

Please be assured that we are committed to providing a first class service for all of our guests and as we are fortunate to enjoy repeat business from many of our residents we feel we must be meeting their expectations.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I arrived at 21:20 on a rainy dark night after a very long day. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. No quibbles about the late arrival and told not to worry, the restaurant would stay open and to come down to dinner. The Bedroom was spacious and well appointed with fast, free broadband, comfortable bed, excellent power shower, everything I needed, it was absolutely spotless and black out curtains, heaven!

I liked the iron and ironing board hung at the end of the hall so I didn't have to bother room service.

The hotel is situated just off the main road in beautiful surroundings on the coast to coast walking route. Perfect for anyone working in or visiting the West Lakes area.

The restaurant is in an attractive and comfortable conservatory. The menu is imaginative, the food delicious and the service quick and pleasant.

Breakfast was lovely and my cooked breakfast came within ten minutes of ordering cooked to order.

I had a number of documents I needed printed out, which reception did perfectly. The staff were welcoming, polite and helpful.

The hotel looks like it has been through an extensive renovation recently, sympathetic to the original structures. Therefor I have to say some of the previous reviews may be out of date. I couldn't fault it and I am a fussy customer.

My only suggestion is newspapers available at breakfast as I like to read a paper when breakfasting on my own.

The Melbreak turned an arduous journey into a pleasure. I felt the pressure and strain of the day drift away once i arrived to a warm welcome. I chatted with the owners as i was checking out and realised how much work they are putting into the hotel. They deserve every success and look forward to staying again soon as my base for working in this stunning part of the country.

Room Tip: tell the hotel what you need when you book! I need broadband so always ask if there is unresticted f...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you for your very kind review of the hotel; we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

I have duly noted your point about having a newspaper to read; hopefully the next time you stay this issue will have been rectified.

Thanks once again for your comments - they prove invaluable with regards to staff training, motivation and the overall running of the hotel.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I firstly stayed here around 5 years ago. It was over priced with cold showers and the bedroom was almost like army quarters. Nothing has changed. I only came back as my usual hotel was full. The food is fine although check in is like a Travel Lodge. The bar area and restaurant are also fine. The rooms let it down in a MASSIVE way. poor value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear Steve W

It would be fair to say that some of our rooms are indeed dated and in need of renovation, however, I feel your comment that our bedrooms are like army quarters is a tad harsh. We are aware of the need to refurbish the bedrooms but, as we are generally a busy hotel, they unfortunately have to be done as and when we have the available time. In a perfect world it would be lovely to be able to decommission an entire block and refurbish them altogether, however, sadly this is not possible at the present time.

However, that said, I am extremely sorry your stay was not a pleasant one and can only apologise that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Kind Regards
Caroline Hughes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
#3 of 9 in Workington
Washington Central Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
#4 of 9 in Workington

Been to Melbreak Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!