“Long Weekend Break.”

and 1 more site!
Melbreak Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The hotel was in a good location however, a car or mode of transport is definitely needed.
My husband I stayed in a double room for our 3 nights stay. The room was okay however, I was disappointed with the shower as it trickled when turned on hence it took a long while to rinse the shampoo of my (may I add short hair)!
The breakfast offered a nice variety and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. I would like to add however, that I thought for a week day 7-9am was too early for breakfast. Two reasons..... 1- I am on holiday and would like a lie in. 2- Not everybody likes breakfast immediately on waking up. Perhaps if breakfast was served until 10.30am like other hotels I would have enjoyed tasting the different variety they had to offer. I did think that it is overpriced per night for what it is and it is rather like a motel as the rooms are in a separate building and you are situated on a main A road. I did have an overall good nights sleep however was woken at early hours every morning by a young baby in the room next door. The walls were extremely thin and one can hear every word of a conversation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and for your comments. I can sympathise and understand that whilst on holiday you might not want to rise early for breakfast however, as we regularly have many business people residing with us during the week, they, more often than not, do require to be up and away relatively early. As we can generally be flexible being a small hotel, it is a shame you did not bring this matter to our attention as I'm sure we could have accommodated you in some way or other if the early breakfast time was too inconvenient. I should add that we do serve breakfast later at weekends which is generally when we have holiday makers staying with us.

Regretfully, we are powerless to prevent babies from crying. I suppose the parents were not too happy at being woken early either!

Thank you once again for your comments as they provide valuable information when reviewing current working practises.

There are newer reviews for Melbreak Country House Hotel

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed for a long weekend and found the staff friendly and very helpful with our little one. The food was also great and all amenities worked perfectly; we were on the discount rate at around £180 for 3 nights, which we felt was great value. We were only minutes away from Whitehaven, Workington and Cockermouth which is where our family live so the connectivity by road was also perfect.
The only slight downside was the awkwardness getting our little one from the accommodation building 3rd floor down and into the main hotel building and the traffic noise on the Monday morning was quite noisy (window open due to warm weather), but neither issue was something we couldn't live with.
In all, great. Many thanks to all at Melbreak!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main road if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the hotel; it is good to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

I can only apologise for not allocating you a more suitable room for your young child and hope that it did not cause you too much distress at navigating all of those stairs. Information like this proves invaluable to us in terms of staff training and this is something that will definitely be brought up at our next meeting.

Sadly, the traffic noise is something we are powerless to change!

Thanks once again; hopefully you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the area?

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I felt the need to write a review after reading some of the negative comments about this hotel.
We originally started visiting the Melbreak about three years ago as we come here for business and it is ideally situated for where we need to be.
We had stayed in several hotels in the area and on first visits had been pleased with the overall service, however, on return visits to the other hotels found not so willing to provide early breakfast or even leave out cereals but still charge you the full bed and breakfast rate , which i must say all more expensive than the Melbreak.
Melbreak on other hands serve an early breakfast anyway ! But the staff also understand that sometimes we need to be out early and if we go down for breakfast at 8am when open we have a full cooked breakfast by 8.10 !!!!
Bar area is nice , staff always friendly and willing to chat. Conservatory is lovely well decorated and even in the winter bright and cheerful.
When we visit we always eat at the Melbreak and find food of good value and excellent quality , we have never had a bad meal yet. Over the three years we have visited the menu has been changed on a regular basis with a wide variety of choice.
Some of the rooms are a little outdated in the decoration however are very clean tidy and comfortable which is all you ask for really !!!

Carolynn and Bill Sunderland

Room Tip: rooms 1a and 1b are both updated and nice and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr & Mrs Sunderland,

Thank you for your very kind comments; it is so nice to hear that you have enjoyed all aspects of your visits to the hotel so much that you always consider us when returning to the area.

Perhaps on your next visit you will be able to enjoy one of our newly refurbished rooms, which I must agree have been long overdue, but are very much a welcome addition and are being enjoyed and commented on by current guests.

Thanks once again and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Rooms are clean but a bit noisy. Restaurant was nice and sunny and breakfast was good. Staff polite and helpful but I wouldn't stay here again - it was a bit dated and tired looking. Free wifi which is a bonus in the land of no phone signal.

• Stayed: July 2013
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear K8NSH

Thank you for your honest review following your recent stay at the hotel.

It would have been helpful to us if you could have expanded on how the rooms were noisy eg. traffic or adjoining rooms as without this information it is impossible for us to try and eliminate the problem.

On the positive side, I am glad you enjoyed our food and hospitality but also sorry that your business trip was not a little later in the year as we have just this week embarked on a programme of bedroom refurbishments which I'm sure would have been more to your liking.

Perhaps you might give us the benefit of the doubt and try us again should you happen to pass this way in the future?

Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business in June because the hotel was in a convenient location for me. The positives are my room didn't have traffic noise (although I could hear everything going on next door or in the corridor). The hotel also had nice views across to the east although my room faced the other way. The staff were friendly. The breakfast was standard. The room had a nice big TV.

On the downside, I hate blankets and would prefer a duvet (but I guess that's personal choice). The room wasn't the cleanest, especially the windows. The bed almost collapsed when I got in it (and I'm slim) and proceeded to creak all night. There were two bright lights outside my window (presumably to illuminate the hotel although I'm not sure why this is necessary) which made my room very bright even with the curtains closed. The room and corridor were both incredibly dated. The lock on my door was pretty much hanging off, making it hard to unlock the room.

The Melbreak will always have customers because it's in a handy spot but for £67 (I stayed in a twin room), I thought it was expensive for the quality. I previously stayed at the Cumberland Lodge nearby which was £62 and is infinitely better (although smaller). I wouldn't stay at the Melbreak again when there is somewhere cheaper and nicer nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

So sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at The Melbreak; it is very disconscerting for us when we hear that guests are unhappy with either our facilities and/or the service on offer. However, safety is great importance to us whilst guests are on our premises perhaps it would haver been better to voice your concerns to the hotel personnel immediately. Likewise, if you had concerns regarding the safety of the bed this too should have been reported and we could have moved you to an alternative room and investigated the suspect bed the next day.

That said, I must agree with you on the point about the blankets as I also prefer a duvet. However, the good news on this point is that most of the rooms are soon to be refurbished and the blankets will be replaced by duvets which I believe is a big step in the right direction for the hotel.

Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but hope it was more down to the room aesthetics rather than the customer service on offer?

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We had an extended stay here and the hotel is FANTASTIC. All the staff are a credit to this establishment, they were very welcoming and could do no more to make our stay better.
The room we had was very clean and homely, breakfasts and evening meals were of excellent quality and enjoyed in beautiful surroundings.
Excellent access from all major routes, and plenty of car parks even when the hotel was full!!!

THANK YOU Melbreak for all your help.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you very much for your generous review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay; it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed for one night and were very comfortable. We had room 5 which was fine for us. As a few previous reviews have stated, the room was dated and the kettle should be out of the way of children (as it's a family room) but apart from that, there were plenty of extra pillows, the beds were comfortable, there was a modern tv with childrens channels and tons of lovely thick towels. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was very powerful. We also had a gorgeous view of the mountains.

Staff were very friendly, breakfast was lovely and the conservatory was delightful for dining, especially when the sun shone.

For the £99 that we paid for our family to stay, it was well worth it and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Thank you for your kind review; I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The staff at the Melbreak are constantly striving to improve standards in order to make our guests' breaks enjoyable experiences; to hear that you have enjoyed your stay makes the hard work all the more worthwhile.
Kind Regards
Caroline Hughes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Cockermouth
Washington Central Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
#4 of 9 in Workington

Been to Melbreak Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!