“Great place!”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Manchester
“Great place!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Came to the hotel as I was working local on business, Stayed in 15a and this was a superb site room, really nice hotel, wonderful customer service and great food too,highly recommend this place to everyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank flinty197575
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Mr Flint,
Thank you very much for your recent review posted on Tripadvisor.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you would be happy to recommend us to others.

Hopefully we will see you again should you need to visit the area in the future?

Kind Regards
Caroline Hughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
uk
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Came here for a xmas family meal. Thought we'd try somewhere different and we were quite happy. Staff were friendly and attentive. Food was to a good standard and the surroundings were nice. Can't comment on value for money as I didn't pay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jonnypb
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Johnny

Thank you for your kind review following your recent Christmas meal. So glad you enjoyed both the food and the evening - and at someone else's expense - what a bonus!

It is always good to hear when our guests have enjoyed themselves; it makes all our hard work and planning worthwhile.

Hopefully you might visit us again soon?

Regards
cumbria
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had a party of around 20 people for a mid week Christmas meal. This happened in early December and since then Ive eaten a few other Christmas meals at a couple of more "upmarket" destination hotels closer to keswick and it really brought it home to me what a bloomin good job the team at the Melbreak had done this year! Really there was no comparison you were head and shoulders above the others I had! Well done to the all the team your hardwork and care for customer satisfaction really shone through, Your chef did a fantastic job this year, really good tasty food all prepared quite obviously on site and with care and love. Your bar and restaurant team were attentive and efficient, friendly and helpful. Excellent service and food. Possibly could be even better by a little louder or more christmassy music for atmosphere but other than that minor point, top marks!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your very kind review following your meal this Christmas; it is always nice to hear when our customers have thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We have passed on your comments to both our chef's and our front of house staff who are grateful for the kind words and appreciation of their hard work.
I have taken on board your comment regarding the lack of appropriate music and can only apologise for this. We have had Christmas music playing in the background during December, though I must admit our music system could probably benefit from being updated.
Once again, thank you for your generous review; hopefully we will see you again soon?
Kind regards
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Melbreak for two nights, in order to attend my Mother-in-law's funeral. Although not the best of circumstances, it was made all the more pleasant, thanks to the warm welcome from all members of staff. Professional, yet friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The room was spotlessly clean, very comfortable and well appointed.
So nice to have a shower with properly hot water and good pressure.
Breakfasts were tasty and evening meals of a good standard.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Melbreak.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for kind review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate the circumstances of your stay were not as you would have perhaps desired and are glad that our staff acted both professionally and sensitively.
Thank you once again for your review; perhaps you might consider using us again when next visiting the area?
Kind Regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

As a lot of our family members live out of the county we try to get together in early December to enjoy a Christmas meal together and exchange gifts. For several years we have done this at another local restaurant but having felt let down by them we chose a different venue this year, The Melbreak Hotel.
As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a lady at reception who directed us through to the bar area, here we were instantly greeted by friendly bar staff who even went out of their way to serve us real ale at room temperature (most places serve bottles straight from the fridges). We were then allowed to relax in the bar area to chat before being shown to our table and served starters immediately. The staff were very friendly and attentive throughout the meal offering to take photos for us and clearing plates swiftly after each course. We were looked after as if we were the only party there despite their having a huge second party to take care of as well. The food was from the set Christmas menu and was delicious, a far cry from the usual set menus which always seem like reheated paper thin slices of turkey hidden by gravy, this was lovely thick slices of juicy meat, there was plenty of it and more veg than you could shake a stick at! At the end of the meal we were given the bill but not rushed out, we were again allowed to relax in the bar area quests the staff looked after us until after 11 pm, they even arranged a taxi for us at the end of the night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review. I am sorry I have not responded earlier though we have been rather busy of late.
It was really good to hear you enjoyed not only your meal, but the whole evening; it makes all of our hard work worth while.
Hopefully you will consider dining with us again when you next have a family gathering?
May I also take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2014.
Kind regards
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed on business at the melbreak. It was a late booking and the staff were very accomodating and very friendly and pleasant. The food was very good and very tasty. The room was to be expected and just had been freshly painted. I would definitely stay here again if i am in need of accommodation in this area

• Stayed August 2013
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hi David,
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the hotel - it is always good to hear that guests have enjoyed their time with us and, even better, that they would consider returning when in the area. It certainly makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Look forward to greeting you again on your return.

Regards
Caroline
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The hotel was in a good location however, a car or mode of transport is definitely needed.
My husband I stayed in a double room for our 3 nights stay. The room was okay however, I was disappointed with the shower as it trickled when turned on hence it took a long while to rinse the shampoo of my (may I add short hair)!
The breakfast offered a nice variety and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. I would like to add however, that I thought for a week day 7-9am was too early for breakfast. Two reasons..... 1- I am on holiday and would like a lie in. 2- Not everybody likes breakfast immediately on waking up. Perhaps if breakfast was served until 10.30am like other hotels I would have enjoyed tasting the different variety they had to offer. I did think that it is overpriced per night for what it is and it is rather like a motel as the rooms are in a separate building and you are situated on a main A road. I did have an overall good nights sleep however was woken at early hours every morning by a young baby in the room next door. The walls were extremely thin and one can hear every word of a conversation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Sam,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and for your comments. I can sympathise and understand that whilst on holiday you might not want to rise early for breakfast however, as we regularly have many business people residing with us during the week, they, more often than not, do require to be up and away relatively early. As we can generally be flexible being a small hotel, it is a shame you did not bring this matter to our attention as I'm sure we could have accommodated you in some way or other if the early breakfast time was too inconvenient. I should add that we do serve breakfast later at weekends which is generally when we have holiday makers staying with us.

Regretfully, we are powerless to prevent babies from crying. I suppose the parents were not too happy at being woken early either!

Thank you once again for your comments as they provide valuable information when reviewing current working practises.

Caroline Hughes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
Broughton Craggs Hotel
Broughton Craggs Hotel
#6 of 9 in Cockermouth
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel

Been to Melbreak Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!