“Excellent service and good value for money.”

and 1 more site!
Melbreak Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Mauchline
“Excellent service and good value for money.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a delightful, warm welcome we received. Our one year old was with us and she was made a fuss of which was nice! A lady (owner?) helped us plan a few trips which was great. Had lunch and dinner in the hotel which were tremendous. Breakfast was not quite as good. Scrambled egg...not great and sausage very disappointing. (Def change your butcher!) However, I would stay again and loved all the pretty flowers.

• Stayed July 2014
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review; it was great to hear you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality.
I am sorry the breakfast was not to your liking and have passed your comments to our catering department. Generally, most of our guests do enjoy our breakfast though I suppose sausage can be quite an individual thing with some liking it quite spicy with others not so much. I am assuming the scrambled egg was overcooked and can only apologise for this and will most definitely inform the breakfast servers to enquire as to how guests would like their eggs cooked.
I am glad to hear that this would not prevent you from using the hotel again and would be happy to see how your little girl has grown - absolutely beautiful!
Regards
Caroline Hughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Had a pleasant stay, was impressed with the room was spacious airy & clean. Breakfast was ok, scrambled eggs let it down, maybe opt for fried or poached!
Bit out the way, no local shops to hand. Planned on leaving car when we came but unfortunately we drove most of the weekend. Lovely setting & peaceful. Staff friendly & helpful.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank hoopygal1
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit to the hotel and glad to hear, that on the whole, you enjoyed your stay.

As you so correctly commented, we are a little out of the way, though with so many beautiful and interesting places only a 20 minute drive away hopefully you didn't spend too much time in the car?

I will, of course, pass on your comment regarding the scrambled egg to our catering department and can only apologise for it not being to your liking; hopefully this would not prevent you from using us again?

Regards
Ambert, France
Reviewed 28 June 2014

On business in the area and I needed somewhere comfortable with wifi and decent food. I was warmly welcomed, shown to my room which had everything I wNted. Very prompt and friendly service in the bar with tasty food. Early breakfast and checkout meant I was back on the road in good time. Will stay again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Caroline H, Guest Relations Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi Peter

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the hotel.

We are glad you found everything to your liking and certainly look forward to welcoming you again when you are next in the area.

Kind regards
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

First time in this area and stayed on recommendation with two golfing partners. Absolutely superb! Staff ( and owner ) very friendly and welcoming. The Room was very comfortable and the food very good. Would definitely stay again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear John

Thank you very much for your generous comments following your recent stay at the hotel. You and your pals certainly seemed to enjoy yourself and we certainly enjoyed having you.

Perhaps you will return soon for another round of golf and hopefully stay with us again?

Kind regards
Cumbria UK
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed this week with two friends - we were all playing golf locally. What a great little find!! Such an Idea location for us. The staff (and owner) were very friendly and attentive. The rooms comfortable and the food very good. Would recommend anytime.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review following your recent stay at the hotel - it is so good to hear such nice comments; it certainly makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Hopefully you might use us again when golfing in the area?

Stonehaven
Reviewed 15 May 2014

First time down this way. Phoned hotel to advise late arrival. Young lady, later found her name to be Caroline, on Reception, could not have been more helpful. As I was arriving way outside "normal" hours asked her if you could arrange sarnies etc in my room when for when I arrived. Very pleased at the customer service ethos as well as the friendly atmosphere. Great little hotel on the edge of the Lake District. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Caroline H, General Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you very much for the generous review following your recent stay at the hotel; we were certainly glad to be of service and happy that you had a safe journey, secure in the knowledge that you would not be going to bed hungry!

Look forward to greeting you again the next time you require accommodation in this area?

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Melbreak over the early May bank holiday weekend. Took advantage of the 3 for 2 deal and used the hotel as a walking base for the Western fells around Buttermere, Wasdale and Ennerdale.
I was impressed by the level of service I received at the Melbreak. I was given rm 30 as I asked for a quiet, non smoking room.
The room was serviced each morning of my stay, was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was well cooked and ample to fill the hungry fell walker. Evening meals were varied and well done.
All in all if you are looking for a base for the Western fells and don't want to pay Ambleside prices I could not recommend this place more. A well deserved excellent review!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Adrian

Thank you very much for the generous review you submitted following your recent break at the hotel.

It was very good to hear that you consider the hotel an ideal base from which to explore the Western Lakes and can only hope that others wishing to experience the beauty of this area will take heed of your appraisal?

Thank you also for the book recommendations; I have passed this information on to my colleague Emma, who is keen to try out some of the recommended walks in order to pass on first hand information to future guests. With the luxury of some time off, I could easily be persuaded to don my walking boots and join her!

Caroline Hughes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
The Old Ginn House Inn
#8 of 9 in Cockermouth
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to Melbreak Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!