“"Like stepping in to a Homes and Gardens feature article!"”

Hungry Bentley Barn
Ranked #1 of 2 Alkmonton B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“"Like stepping in to a Homes and Gardens feature article!"”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We found Hungry Bentley using Google accommodation search and were intrigued by the images and description on their website - it sounded wonderful. We loved the peaceful location in the heart of the English countryside - no traffic noise, just the sounds of birds! The building itself is stunning inside and out - and we really did feel as though we were stepping into the pages of "Homes and Gardens" magazine! The decor was lovely, the furniture and beds comfortable and luxurious - and a lovely welcome from Jane to make us feel at home right away. As should be expected in a place of this calibre, breakfasts were outstanding - local produce cooked beautifully by Jane, with variations to the usual "full English" available on request. Still on the subject of meals - Jane was very helpful in recommending local eateries, and kindly booked one for us. So, was there any downside? Well, yes - as mentioned in a previous review, there is very little in the way of noise insulation between rooms and the main corridor and, unfortunately, you CAN hear everything that is going on around you.........! Also, we found the shower in our room(we didn't have a bath) particularly small - thankfully, we are not large in stature, but even then we kept engaging with the rather protruding tap fitting. As nature lovers, we would have enjoyed watching the antics of the birds and squirrels at the bird feeding station, but this was out of sight for guest diners - perhaps it could be relocated adjacent to the guest dining area?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roger S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I booked this as an alternative to staying in a normal hotel, as it was a birthday gift to my boyfriend, as we were going to Alton Towers. I don't normally stay in B&B's as i normally link it to being dirty, badly run, cramped and too personal.

However, this B&B is 5 star, and in my opinion better than most hotels I have stayed in the UK. We had the biggest room in the converted barn, which was absolutely stunning. From the four poster wooden bed and beams, to the exquisite bathroom, with roll top bath and glass ceiling. The two windows provided a lovely view across the fields and rolling hills, it was felt very special and luxurious.

Jane the owner, was superb and perfect as host. She kindly went out and picked up some champagne and balloon on my behalf, as I didn't have time, which was a great surprise to my boyfriend when we opened the room. She was friendly and helpful, without being too invasive which is what normally puts me off B&B's.

We headed to dinner in the recommended Sarcaen's Head about 20 mins away. It is a great place, and does great gastro pub food, well decorated with a great roaring fire and good staff, would go there if you are feeling hungry!

When we got back, I was slightly aware that i could hear someone cough in the next room, but it was more a murmur and mumble. If you are a polite and courteous guest, you shouldn't be yelling and shouting and making a racket anyways, so as we and the other guest were as such, we didn't have a problem apart from the odd heightened noise of a few coughs here and there.

The only issue we had, was that there is no external lock on the door ( that we could find). You can lock it from the inside,with a chain and pin (it's a barn door latch), but when we left, even though there was only one other guest, we were a bit nervous just leaving our stuff sitting in the room. It was all fine of course, in the end, but it would just give you peace of mind if you could lock it. Yes theres a key to the main door, but nothing stops others guests looking around your room when you are out.

Breakfast was amazing with a plentiful menu with a vast array of local produce and had a lovely view looking out across the entrance of the property where two horses were grazing, was very dream like and whilst paying the bill got to meet the gorgeous two dogs Jane owns.

I have recommended this to all my friends and family, and if you want to make a trip to Alton Towers special, please do use this place!

Room Tip: For heightened luxury please ask for the Chalfont room i believe it is called, the largest in the ho...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Was planning a one night trip from Glasgow to Alton Towers, and stumbled upon this B&B on late rooms.

The 1st thing that caught my eye was it was located only 7miles from Alton Towers. I then had a look at the website and the rooms looked very impressive and the setting looked great also.

I contacted Jane the proprieter via email to enquire about availability and she was prompt and helpful with her reply.

Upon arrival the place looked as great as it was in the pictures and we were greeted by Jane and her two lovely dogs. She gave us our keys and showed us where we'd be staying. She helped us with a recommendation for a restaurant later in the evening, the Yeavley Arms which was a excellent choice.

Our room was very tastefully decorated with a huge 4 post bed, clean, spacious and had the most Amazing bathroom with a huge tub and excellent shower. Everything and more than we could ask for. Breakfast in the morning was
Very satisfying with all the usual you'd expect, cereal, yoghurts, fruit (home grown), toast, and full English - which all went down well!

At £98 pounds for the night in the Chatsworth room we got more than value for money from the hungry bentley barn.

I would definitely recommend this accomadation to anybody travelling this way whether it be a romantic
Break or trip to Alton Towers....

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank craigybhoy83
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Would highly recommend this B&B. Made to feel welcome as soon as you arrive. Rooms clean and well designed, with a TV that works. Breakfast made using local produce, tasted delicious. Property is set in beautiful quiet surroundings. I will be back :-)

Room Tip: 3 rooms in total = all quiet
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We arrived on 6 July for a three night stay. Wish it could have been longer. Jane and Brian went out of their way as hosts to make sure our every wish was fulfilled and every question answered.

It is true that the acoustics are such that a loud guest late at night could be a disturbance, but in general one could not ask for a more restful location.
It is unfortunate that the trip advisor map associated with this property is quite incorrect and should not be relied upon to lead one to the location.
By the way the food in the local restaurants was better than anything we experienced in London!

We would not hesitate to recommend this facility to anyone

• Stayed July 2011
Southend-On-Sea, Essex
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed for one night before going to Alton Towers and can not fault the place. It is surprisingly modern inside without losing its rustic charm. By far the cleanest room we have ever stayed in with every little detail cleaned and polished to the highest standard.

The huge roll top bath can not be missed and I'm a little ashamed to say that I was soaking myself within 10 mins of arriving down the lovely gravel driveway and being met by the owners personally.

Due to the building layout you can hear a little bit of chatter from around the house but we didn't find this a problem at all and slept very well.

The owners recommended a lovely affordable pub called The Ostrich to have dinner in which although quiet on a Wednesday night was great value and well worth a visit. The owners also sorted out affordable transport there and back for us.

In summary this deserves its excellent reputation, my advice is to get one of the rooms with a roll top bath and have a long soak like I did. Upon reflection over an hour was a touch too long, I felt a bit dizzy afterwards...

A+

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tikigod19
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night as we'd been travelling around Cornwall and were in the process of making our way back home to York. We entered through the electric gates, drove up the gravelled driveway and were greeted at the door by the owner who was very friendly. We were taken straight to our room and all we could say is wow!! I can't find a negative word to say about the Hungry Bentley. It's modern, immaculately clean and the four poster bed was unbelievably comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and the choice was ours when we had it, there's no set time.

It was a great location for us as it's only 20 mins away from Alton Towers which was where were planning on going the next day before heading home.

I would definitely go to the Hungry Bentley Barn again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to Hungry Bentley Barn? Share your experiences!