“Good for kids”

Callow Top Holiday Park
Tean, United Kingdom
“Good for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

During the summer months if you are thinking of using Callow Top for Camping/Caravaning don't expect a quite time. For the kids its great as there is a big play area which attracts them like a magnet. This is good as it keeps them amused but the niose level is very high. To be fair it does quite down by 9:30 went thr play ground is closed and gors to next to nothing by 10:30. Other attractions is an out door swimming pool and during the day is a large cafe that serves food and drink all day. At night the pub,The Callow Inne, opens and has nice pub grub. I would recommed you try some of their own ales. Having said all this i have used the site out of school holidays and found it very good.

1 Thank Keith J

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Myself, husband and two young children stayed here for two nights camping (without electric hookup). Our brother and sister in law joined us for the first night (a Sunday) and there was plenty of room on the camping field for them to be next to us.
The fields for the tents are well kept with a large green in the middle of field 6 for children to play and for family ball games etc. The only downside to this field is that it is quite a walk to the nearest toilet if you happen to get the pitch at the bottom of the field. However if we stay here in future I would always opt for field 6 as it appears the most spacious.
The pitches themselves are generous in size so you don't have to be right next to your neighbours should you pitch in the middle (providing they don't have the worlds biggest tent!), another advantage of the large allocated pitches is that you have ample room for a wind break outdoor area for BBQ's etc.

The site has good facilities, although it is a shame that you have to pay for the showers. These showers are all in separate rooms so they are private but there is no sink so once your allocated time for the shower is over you can't wash your hands after applying make-up etc for instance. The floor is also all tiled so once showered generally it is difficult to keep your feet clean from previous users and shows. A few more showers would be nice also, during high season you have to queue outside and wait for people to finish, not something you would be doing in inclement weather.

The café / bar serves lovely food, the breakfast is amazing, good portions and value for money there. The only criticism here would be that it could do with being a bit bigger to accommodate the number of families on site.

The pub is nice but the menu is limited, just hearty meals no burgers, sandwiches or lighter options. Service for this is from your table and with several different room offshoots it is difficult to be seen so we were waiting a while before placing our order. You also have to pay at that time which again can be a bit awkward if you are in a group and paying separately. The food was very nice though.

We didn't use the pool so I am unable to comment on that aspect.

Staff were generally very helpful.

The site itself is situated next to the Tissington Trail, a lovely walk to Ashbourne which too is a lovely little place. When you are on the site you feel far enough away from places to feel that you are really on holiday, even if only going for one night. Be aware though that getting to and from the trail is a hilly experience, not for the faint hearted walkers or inexperienced cyclists.

The childrens park area was very nice and our kids loved it. If your children are old enough you can sit inside the café at a window seat looking straight out at them. There were a lot of children when we went and so this was always busy with a lot of children unsupervised.

The only downside to our camping experience was the redneck group that were camped half way up the field, they thought it was acceptable to play loud music until 1am, have a massive fire and have their young children running about at that time!! It was a shame that no one reported this, or if they did that the staff didn't sort it out. I was led to believe that there was a strict rule about noise after 11pm and also regarding fires.

Overall we would stay here again, it is the nearest family site to us which is reasonably priced and the main thing is the kids loved it!

1 Thank Louise K
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Good place to stay for a few nights but camping is without electricity. As there isn't electricity I had to take an external battery to charge my phone etc but I have to charge my battery and there are no facility's that allow me to do that.

On site pub, shop, playground, heated swimming pool (although is quite cold) and bar. In the bar there is entertainment most nights but is always packed! Facilities could have been a lot bigger because they are always full. Having to pay for the showers wasn't the best either.

Still a good place to stay for a few days.

Stayed August 2014
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at callow top for a weekend with a friend and her 3 children (7 year old twins and 6 year old) absolutely fantastic site for the children with everything you need for a child friendly break. There is a lovely walk straight off the site into Ashbourne town and bike hire is also available on site. The shop is well stocked, play park safe and can be seen from the bar. Great disco for the little ones in a sat evening. Would recommend to families and will def recommend.

• Stayed August 2014
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I agree with the last review regarding the concerns of safety within the pool.
We spent two weeks at callow top with two children. The park has very good facilities and is very child friendly however the health and safety has a lot to be desired.The shower water (block nearest to the reception)was red hot and very dangerous. I am aware that Agency staff are used to clean the shower/ toilet blocks twice a day a long with the callow top staff in between. I noticed that the agency staff wear no protective wear ie gloves or aprons. I also witnessed a agency staff place a mop bucket in the dishwashing sink to be used for cleaning the toilet floor(how disgusting). I also witnessed a fellow guest take his socks off and wash them in the dish washing sink !!!! guests are then expexted to wash their dishes in these sinks.Toilet blocks are not closed during cleaning.... but staff clean around you which gives you no privacy/dignity and can be a hazard. I had male staff in the toilets cleaning the sinks whilst I was in the toilet cubicle. Our stay wasn't a complete negative experience we had a fantastic stay and as previously stated the facilities were great for the kids. I believe the problem mainly lies with the agency workers who need to retrained in health and safety / environmental health. My concerns were raised to callow staff before my departure

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Went away with my partner and the 2.5 children had a nice time. The things that let it down for me was.....
A very rude staff member in the shop and more worrying the safety concerns around the pool. Going into a bit more detail, none of the stated rules were followed I.e. no diving, no bombing, no inflatables when over 20 people I counted more that double that and inflatables was not the word, more like small boats. Kids were diving onto other kids. There was a so called life guard but she showed no interest what so ever and I believe when a family site has a pool some duty of care should be taken. I did raise this with another staff member but nothing changed. Further more me and my family have came away feeling ill, very sore eyes and with a much lighter colour hair due to very hight levels of treatment in the pool. You could clearly smell it in the air from 5 meters aways from the pool. "Not good". Sorry but I feel I need to be honest because I was concerned that that someone could drowned very easy in over 7 meter deep pool. I really hope this comment is taken seriously because apart from that we had a good time.

1 Thank Chris M
Boston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Visit site every year at least once, cannot recommend enough, clean, friendly, fab location, excellent tourer pitches. We like field too near park and quieter wash facilities. Highly recommend. Bikes, swimwear and walking gear an absolute must!

• Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
The Izaak Walton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartington
Sandybrook Country Park
Sandybrook Country Park
#1 of 15 in Ashbourne

Been to Callow Top Holiday Park? Share your experiences!