“Fantastic”

Ranked #4 of 25 Ashbourne B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

A fabulous warm welcome from all of the staff the room was spotlessly clean very comfy bed crisp white linen and towels, beautifully decorated. The most gorgeous evening meal and breakfast what can I say just perfect and made for a fabulous end to a most wonderful place to stay. Thank you so much.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
manchester
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed one night only, our stay was really excellent. We received a warm welcome and was shown to our large nicely decorated room, the room was warm, spotless and well equipped free WiFi always a plus. We had a really good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. The food in the restaurant was of very high standard and the service was very good. Our breakfast was everything we asked for and good quality bacon and sausage, most enjoyable.We would highly recommend this hotel/restaurant and would stay again if we were in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2ndMrsP
Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have stayed here twice now, always one night on business. On both occasions I have to say the place is spotless, the food id good and great value as is the beer. The welcome is OK and the rooms vary hugely in size but are properly equipped, inc Wi-Fi.
My problem last time was that I was cold. cold at the bar, cool at the dining table and cold in my room. So much so that I went to bed early. Very comfy bed with a great duvet so I slept well, but the room was cool when I woke. Hot water DOES get there but you have to leave the tap running for ages.
Breakfast was OK, but having cancelled half of the items offered (like beans mushrooms etc) I got a large plate with a small breakfast. I kind of assumed that would not be the case
I did tell the landlord, and I will be back on business so watch this space

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Exmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

First impressions not too great. Had booked to stop here as attending a party in the function room and traveling up from Devon. I have no idea who booked us in, though pretty sure it wasn't the owner, but there was no greeting just a 'what's the name?'. We were then shown to our room with NP offer of help with our luggage and asked what time we would want breakfast. I plucked a time put of the air but found it a bit regimental given we were attending a late night party. The room was very small and the door to the ensuite was glass panelled, albeit frosted. Keen to use the facilities, I went into the bathroom and locked the door while my husband went back to the car. It stuck and resulted in two members of staff coming to my rescue. Fortunately my husband managed to free me. I was asked if I was alright by a gentleman brandishing a screwdriver but as we were told it could't be fixed perhaps the offer of a drink would have been the least to be expected. The bed was very comfortable but only one pillow each which ruined a good nights sleep. The bathroom was excellent and looked newly decorated. The shower was divine, hot and powerful with the use of lovely towels. Overall, spotlessly clean. Breakfast was very good, excellent poached eggs, tasty bacon and mushrooms. The lady attending was a very good hostess. There are little attentions to detail that would make a stay here perfect, but for me personally it was too small and breakfast, with only 7 rooms to cater for, should feel more relaxed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have eaten in this restaurant with colleagues and their partners many times over the past few years. For the first time, we stayed overnight on Friday. On arrival, we received a warm welcome and were immediately shown to our room. The room was spacious, nicely decorated and spotlessly clean - the towels were amazing! As always, we enjoyed a lovely meal in the bar. The service was efficient and very friendly. The food was delicious - cooked to a high standard. Breakfast did not disappoint - excellent quality - the sausage and bacon were lovely. I cannot recommend this hotel/restaurant highly enough and will look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Room 3 lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ashbourne
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We recently had a superb meal at the Royal Oak which is our local pub/restuarant. We have been going to this pub off and on for a number of years but the new owners have made a real difference by offering excellent food which is on a par with many of the best UK gastro-pubs. The menu is imaginative and will, we were informed by the new owners, be supplemented by an expanding 'specials' board. I had lamb tagine with cous cous, which is easy to type on a menu but difficult to cook. It was excelllent with great lamb (must have been local since this is the best lamb in the UK). My wife had liver which she said was one of the best that she had ever tasted. The whole pub is fresher and more open than it has been in the past with a great beer garden by the side of the River Dove. They sell a great pint of London Pride! Many people drive past this pub on the way to Alton Towers. In future combine the excitement of Alton Towers with a wonderful welcome and good food prepared by the new owners. You will not be disappointed. PS The Royal Oak should also be in the restaurant section of Trip Advisor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bath
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel after happening to drive past and don't we feel lucky we did!
The room we had was a huge double, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. Nicky was the most polite, warming and friendly owner we have ever met and we later found out through chatting it was her husband that cooked us the amazing food we were so lucky to sample. My wife used the word 'delicious' at least 6 times while eating her main course and she is a part time food critic so that says a lot!!
The next morning breakfast was served. Again brilliant, they got all the little things right, hot coffee, ice cold milk for the cereal, fresh orange juice, warm toast all topped off with fresh local sausages and bacon.
If you do go, I'm sure you'll leave wanting to write a review like mine.
Thank you Steve, nicky and your very friendly Breakfast lady!!

Room Tip: If you have lot's of children the family room is excellent value!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
The Station Hotel
The George & Dragon
The George & Dragon
#2 of 25 in Ashbourne
The Dog & Partridge Country Inn

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!