“Not a Bridge too far”

Ranked #22 of 94 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Price range: US$3 - US$7
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Not a Bridge too far”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

his restaurant has undergone many name changes and re inventions over the years I have lived around Ashbourne. I really can’t remember what it was when I was at school way back but at one time it was trendy bar, and then it became less so, it then became a really nice cafe and light meal place and now the front is a really relaxing bar and at the back a rather smart restaurant.

We were brought our drinks very quickly and asked if we were ready to order and we hadn’t really decided so the lovely waitress said she would give us more time and come back in a few minutes. Meanwhile she brought a small basket of fresh warm bread with an olive oil and herb dipping oil which was very tasty and we were a bit silly and ate this despite the fact we knew we had three courses to follow.

I chose a smoked salmon roulade which was so delicious and beautifully presented and my husband had a pate which he enjoyed and was equally well presented. We both chose the steak as we very rarely have any beef at home and steak is a big treat for us. It was delicious, melt in your mouth with a choice of sauces and they were not at extra cost either. I opted for a baked potato and hubby had chips. The vegetables were fresh, bright colours and just cooked perfectly, crisp but not raw just the way I like them so that you can taste the vegetable’s own flavour. We has a small bowl with broccoli, tiny carrots, cauliflower and some beans which were just steamed and nicely balanced the rich steak and sauce .

We both chose crème brule which we always do if it is on the menu. I just love the creamy richness and vanilla flavour which is subtle and not too filling. Other options included Sticky toffee pudding, Bakewell tart and various chocolate and fruit tarts as well as a cheese option.

The waitress who served us was lovely friendly and smiling without being in our face. She brought our drinks and took our order efficiently and I have absolutely no complaints at all. She came to check that everything was okay but otherwise was there when we needed her but not hanging around being obvious.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank catsholiday

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“I would defiantly recommend visiting the bridge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I eat and drink and the bridge regularly! I have never had a bad meal and the staff are all friendly and welcoming.

• Visited June 2014
“Brill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Love it here the food is good husband says it's a good pint can take the kids in the day and it's great for us to to at night dale is brill

• Visited May 2014
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Great venue for a celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Invited to an engagement party. Excellent venue with good food and friendly staff. Would highly recommend for a celebration

Visited May 2014
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Best in Ashbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We travelled to Ashbourne for my daughters 21st Birthday, to stay in a local cottage, just out of town, we wanted somewhere to have a drink with the family, and also food with in nice surroundings, with a nice atmosphere and the bridge was an excellent choice. The waiter, Tom, served us with an engaging attitude, and really made our visit special, the food was served in plentiful portions and was very well put together. The surroundings are modern without being too so, and we felt very at home there.
We found Ashbourne, although quite quaint, very difficult to find somewhere like this, it seems to be full of working mens clubs, and odd hotels which are your only alternative for a drink, which does not seem to work.
We thought the best shot at this before we got to 'The Bridge' was to go to the curry house up the road (The Red Chilli) and we went in an empty restaurant, which was freezing cold, sat and looked at the menu, which seemed very expensive, and made our apologies and left, to a few mumbled insults, not good at all, so the Bridge was like an oasis after that.

I can only say, that if you are visiting try here first, apart from it being not only the best place in Ashbourne by far, it is amongst one of my favourite meal/Drinks venues anywhere.

• Visited April 2014