“French cuisine in Ashbourne”

The Duncombe Arms Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
The Duncombe Arms Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Price range: US$9 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Duncombe Arms Pub is a delightful setting in which to enjoy a drink, some lovely food and a chat. You’ll have the ambience of a roaring log fire and enjoy choosing from a great range of beers, a varied and interesting selection of wines and all your favourite soft drinks. Our great food is freshly prepared and we offer traditional favourites with a few exciting specialties of our own – all at affordable prices.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having recently travelled to Derbyshire from a ten-day stay in the Dordogne, I was pleasantly surprised to find a great pub with delicious English & French cuisine in Ashbourne. Our group was heartily welcomed by the manager and staff of the establishment, and we had a delightful evening in a lovely atmosphere with an exquisitely prepared and served meal. I myself had a wonderful filet of venison, which was perfect, while others chose interesting fish and vegetable dishes. The evening was so delightful that we returned the following night for another gourmet experience

3  Thank Sven B
jgreenall, Owner at The Duncombe Arms Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Sven
Thanks for reviewing The Duncombe Arms and we are delighted you not only visited but you returned the next day! The filet of venison is delicious and we are really pleased with the supplier as we have had some very positive comments. Please rest assured that your comments mean a lot to us so from everyone at The Duncombe a big thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Visiting from Canada, we dined at the Duncombe Arms in Ellastone on June 3rd with family in England. Two of us had the starter of Cropwell Bishop blue cheese mousse, fig tart, and polenta crisp. Other dishes ordered were the celeriac and apple soup with roasted hazelnuts; the breaded black pudding scotch egg with fruity brown sauce and bacon crumb; the pan fried halibut fillet, saffron and chorizo risotto with sautéed samphire; the sautéed fillet of gilt head bream, crushed new potatoes and shrimp buerre noisette; and the Duncombe ale battered fish with crushed peas and triple cooked chips. The service and artistic presentation of well-prepared delicious food were top notch. We have nothing but high praise for this establishment.

6  Thank Wood64

Dear Wood64

Thank you for writing a really positive recommendation for The Duncombe Arms. Your accolade is extremely generous and we are so grateful for your kind comments. Thank you for also describing the dishes you had in detail, they sound as delicious as they taste!

We hope you enjoyed your visit from Canada and hope you will return and see us soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My friends and I came here for my Birthday. I love good food and this place didnt dissapoint with its very well put together meals. I was excited by how my starter of goats cheese mousse was put together. Such thought went into the presentation...even edible flowers...beautiful. I had the burger and then followed with the brownie. Expensive but worth it. Only thing going against it was how when we had come to the end of our meal we were waiting ages to ask for the bill and when we finally collared someone to ask....no one came back for nearly 20minutes. Not good. I dont like waiting and there were only two other tables left so not busy. We ended up going to the bar to pay....maybe this is what ur expected to do but no one told us. Wouldve got a 5 if service was better. Wouldnt stop me from going again though.

Dear Gemma
Thanks for writing a review on The Duncombe Arms. We are delighted you had a lovely time and enjoyed the food. Matt and his team in the kitchen will be over the moon regarding your comments on the food. Many apologies on the service side and having to wait. This has been looked into with the staff on that day and your review was made available to them! Your comments will enable us to improve and keep us up to the mark so thank you. We hope you will come and see us soon but again many thanks for choosing us for your birthday party.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The pub looked like a traditional pub with stone floors and brick feature walls. The chimney wall had a huge family tree of the Duncombe family featuring their coat of arms. In the restaurant room the floor was wooden and the large pictures on the wall were of a cow, sheep and pig - quite appropriate for that room I guess.

The place was busy enough to have a bit of atmosphere but not so busy that we couldn’t hear each other speak.

Hard to say if I would recommend as the food was good and certainly well presented but for the price the meals were I did feel that sides should have been included, certainly a basket of bread and butter. The starters were good, I was disappointed with my main meal considering the price and I think my husband was too. The dessert was delicious.

I can’t complain about the service or really any of the food except to say my fish was very bony which I hate but considering the prices it should have been good.

I don’t think my husband and I will be rushing back here as I think the food was good but not special and those prices are special food prices in my view.

Dear Catsholiday,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to The Duncombe Arms. I am pleased you found the food good and liked the presentation. The pricing however seems to be an issue but you will appreciate that all the food is fresh and prepared at the pub. We maximise our energy into sourcing the best ingredients and have dedicated kitchen staff trying hard to make every diner happy.

I hope you will try us again in the near future.
Regards

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Sorry to say it did not match my expectations - the wine was lovely but nothing on the menu really excited me. Having said that my starter and main were fine but dessert was revolting. I did mention this but the bill did not reflect the fact- won't be going back for a while if at all.

1  Thank 226Clare

Dear Clare
Thank you for taking the time to review The Duncombe. I am sorry you were disappointed although the food was fine albeit you didn't like your pudding. It is hard to comment on your criticism of the dessert as I am not sure if you are referring to the cooking or that you didn't care for the dish? I am a dessert person so have a keen interest in what the kitchen prepare and I love everything Matt and the team put on the menu. The Bakewell Tart creme brulee,The Williams Pear and blackberry parfait, cinnamon bonbons and finally the trio of ice creams are just delicious so please come again because I am sure we can make fine into excellent!
Regards