All reviews great pub lamb shank sausage dog market place reuben scampi dog friendly pub coleslaw busy market pub grub visited ashbourne home made specials board homemade food worth the wait parking permit lovely food
Reviewed 24 March 2015

Despite only paying £30 for the night, the room was well above expectation, clean and well decorated. I have paid much more for less. The pub part was very cheerful with friendly bar staff (and happy customers) and the beer was well kept. Unfortunately I did not eat there but the food looked good and I saw many happy eaters. There seems to be lots going on and it is brilliant to see a pub so well run and caring for their customers.

Room tip: I was overlooking the market place on market morning but there was not much noise.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank ElQueue
Reviewed 22 March 2015

What a lovely welcoming hotel. Had a lovely evening meal. Nice room. Staff were helpful and friendly. Only downside was the parking. Would definitely recommend and definitely stay there again. There were some very quaint shops.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank dawn263
Reviewed 7 March 2015

Having never been to Ashbourne before, we were unsure of where to eat. We tried the George and Dragon pub for lunch. It was really, really nice. The staff were always smiling and very helpful. The food was really nice. We had the homemade burger, egg and chips and scampi. All really nice. I would highly recommend the George and Dragon for anyone for any age. The resident dog and cat made the whole experience brilliant. Made visiting Ashbourne for the first time even better. Cannot wait/all ready planning to go back and to definitely eat at the George and Dragon. A must in Ashbourne.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank moxonjp
Reviewed 8 February 2015

After a morning spent trudging through the snow on the hills, we would have a walk around Ashbourne and get a pub lunch. We happened upon this pub, just by the market place and saw the board advertising 2 meals for £12 and were drawn in.
On walking through the door we were greeted warmly by the staff and were drawn in, took a menu and sat down on a table by the open fire, what more could you ask for?
We both had steak and chips with onion rings, peas and mushrooms ( 2 for £12?!!) The steaks were done as we requested and were very good, we both left empty plates, with maybe a little space for dessert!
The pudding choice was good, all home made. My partner had apple pie and custard and I had sticky toffee pudding and cream. I thought my pudding was really good!
The staff were very friendly and full of smiles, not over attentive.
As it was lunch time we found it quiet, but with a pleasant atmosphere. It was warm due to the open fire which also added to the atmos. Views out onto the market and up into the hills meant I could have sat there all afternoon!
I would recommend this pub and the food is really good, and would like to return in the spring and maybe book a room so we can make a short break of it.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie050
Reviewed 3 February 2015

this was just a day out in Ashbourne, a bit of shopping, so late lunchtime, looking about in the market sqaure and we spied the board outside this place, 2 meals for £12 .... we thought, really !!! so why not..... we were not disappointed.... nice friendly staff.... nice beers.... the food was well cooked and enough of it..... a really nice spot to rest weary legs after shopping, a days walk or just somewhere away from the madding crowd... it was a snowy dreary day in January and this just warmed us up and cheered us up..... worth a visit

Date of stay: January 2015