“Frozen”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Derby, United Kingdom
“Frozen”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited last night, lovely setting, wonderful beer awful food.
We ordered a fishcake starter to share between us. It arrived VERY quickly, this was due to the fact that they had forgotten to defrost it!
Obviously sent back and 5 minuted later it returned still very cold.
Got up, paid for drinks, left.

4 Thank Steve E

Wirksworth, United Kingdom
“Reasonable food, great beer, mostly good staff”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've been using the Bear for years and always enjoyed it. Since the change of ownership a couple of years ago, it has been obviously struggling to work out what it's about and become less of a gastropub and more pub grub with a premium. There are more staffing issues, especially at weekends when there can be a 10 minute wait for drinks at the bar during busy periods.
All of this can be seen as usual settling in period for new owners at a pub, although it could have been better managed. However, the last few times I've been, there has been a member of staff named Charlotte, who seems to be trying to singlehandedly drive away all the customers.
We arrived today with my elderly parents and the lovely woman at the front desk managed to find us a table in the carvery room. All of the staff were very pleasant until we went to order our carvery, where Charlotte was on the till. She was extremely aggressive and impolite during the ordering process, and at one point refused to change my mother's order before we had finished ordering, saying it was impossible to change it on the till. When we came to order the desserts we had already paid for, she demanded to see the till printout which she said we would have been given with our initial order. She had not given us a printout, so I told her this which caused untold huffing, puffing and rolling of eyes until she finally deigned to allow us to order our puddings when I pointed out that she could surely look up our order on the till. She then sat at the counter, shooting us filthy looks until we finished and left. My wife at one point asked another member of the waiting staff to tell her she had not given us the printout, to which the member of staff looked at Charlotte and said 'do you mind sorting that out with Charlotte, I'd like to keep my job'.
To sum up, lovely pub, great position, reasonable food, good staff apart from this one. I don't usually write reviews but I felt this experience really had to be shared. As things are, I don't think I want to use this place again, which is a shame as it is my local, I like the rest of the staff and I've had a lot of good times there

6 Thank JDH22
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a meal , not really knowing what to expect.
Very very happy with the food , beautiful scenery & great friendly staff . Will be back again shortly without a doubt

Derbyshire, UK
“Clean up”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have used this pub numerous times over the years, but not for several months. Although the food was what one would expect in a pub, the atmosphere seemed to have changed radically since our last visit. The place just didn't look clean or cared for. There were cobwebs in the toilets, dust on all the "antique" decorations in the quaint bar needed polishing. The worry is, what are the kitchens like?

3 Thank Ecclesall
DERBY
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My friend and I had arranged to go on a bicycle ride but it looked as though the weather was against us so we decided to have lunch instead at The Bear Inn. On balance it was the right choice because we enjoyed a delicious and very satisfying meal in a picturesque, quaint, rustic setting.

The inn was very quiet and service was relaxed but our host was very friendly, generous and helpful. Our food was tasty and well presented. I wouldn't say it was faultless but it was one of the best meals I've had for some time home or abroad. In particular, it was a delight to see traditional "nursery puddings" on the dessert menu. They were very tempting but I resisted. However, I would certainly recommend the white chocolate cheescake if you have any room.

I've had a look at some of the recent reviews and I can imagine that when the restaurant is busy, service would be problematic. But as long as the food is a high standard, I think I'd be prepared to overlook a little "unhurried" service. We were fortunate to visit at lunchtime. The carvery on a Sunday might be more of a challenge.

I'd love to go back.