“Light evening meal”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Light evening meal”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First time visit at the Bear Inn, lovely cosy countryside pub/restaurant/hotel with lots of character. Friday evening was busy but managed to get the quiet room to ourselves. Food was delicious and piping hot, great sized portions,couldnt manage it all. Staff were extremely polite and friendly. Would highly recommend and will definitely return!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank sheryl_jayne

Derby, United Kingdom
“Frozen”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited last night, lovely setting, wonderful beer awful food.
We ordered a fishcake starter to share between us. It arrived VERY quickly, this was due to the fact that they had forgotten to defrost it!
Obviously sent back and 5 minuted later it returned still very cold.
Got up, paid for drinks, left.

4 Thank Steve E
Wirksworth, United Kingdom
“Reasonable food, great beer, mostly good staff”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've been using the Bear for years and always enjoyed it. Since the change of ownership a couple of years ago, it has been obviously struggling to work out what it's about and become less of a gastropub and more pub grub with a premium. There are more staffing issues, especially at weekends when there can be a 10 minute wait for drinks at the bar during busy periods.
All of this can be seen as usual settling in period for new owners at a pub, although it could have been better managed. However, the last few times I've been, there has been a member of staff named Charlotte, who seems to be trying to singlehandedly drive away all the customers.
We arrived today with my elderly parents and the lovely woman at the front desk managed to find us a table in the carvery room. All of the staff were very pleasant until we went to order our carvery, where Charlotte was on the till. She was extremely aggressive and impolite during the ordering process, and at one point refused to change my mother's order before we had finished ordering, saying it was impossible to change it on the till. When we came to order the desserts we had already paid for, she demanded to see the till printout which she said we would have been given with our initial order. She had not given us a printout, so I told her this which caused untold huffing, puffing and rolling of eyes until she finally deigned to allow us to order our puddings when I pointed out that she could surely look up our order on the till. She then sat at the counter, shooting us filthy looks until we finished and left. My wife at one point asked another member of the waiting staff to tell her she had not given us the printout, to which the member of staff looked at Charlotte and said 'do you mind sorting that out with Charlotte, I'd like to keep my job'.
To sum up, lovely pub, great position, reasonable food, good staff apart from this one. I don't usually write reviews but I felt this experience really had to be shared. As things are, I don't think I want to use this place again, which is a shame as it is my local, I like the rest of the staff and I've had a lot of good times there

6 Thank JDH22
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a meal , not really knowing what to expect.
Very very happy with the food , beautiful scenery & great friendly staff . Will be back again shortly without a doubt

Derbyshire, UK
“Clean up”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have used this pub numerous times over the years, but not for several months. Although the food was what one would expect in a pub, the atmosphere seemed to have changed radically since our last visit. The place just didn't look clean or cared for. There were cobwebs in the toilets, dust on all the "antique" decorations in the quaint bar needed polishing. The worry is, what are the kitchens like?

3 Thank Ecclesall