“Great location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bear Inn

The Bear Inn
Ranked #25 of 74 Restaurants in Belper
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding reception in Belper and as there were no vacancies at hotels closer to Belper, we booked a room at the Bear Inn. We arrived at The Bear after a lovely drive through winding country roads. It is in a great location with beautiful views.
We were attended to immediately, and after checking in we were shown to our room. The guy who showed us to our room also gave us a long list of taxi phone numbers which was really helpful.
On entering, first impressions were good. Although small, the room was
suitable for purpose and had a lovely beamed ceiling.
Downside, was very dirty carpet and the walls could do with a lick of paint.
The shower wasn't very powerful although the water was warm.
When we returned later that evening, we had a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed and woke up the following morning to silence! Bliss!
The room rate of £80 included breakfast so we took advantage of the full english on offer. There was also cereal and fruit juices, tea and coffee. Breakfast was ok. Plenty of it just a bit greasy for me.
On checking out there was a little confusion as at time of booking we were given the impression we were paying in advance as we gave ALL card details including the security number. However when we checked out we were asked for our card to pay. When we questioned the fact they had already had the card details we were told that this is done at time of booking and all the details are "written" in the reservation book in case of damage to rooms or people leaving without paying. Whilst I totally appreciate details being taken in advance, I was not happy that they had been written in a book that all staff can see. This could potentially lead to fraudulent use of a card. Friends also had the same issue. The staff apologised that it hadn't been made clear at the time of booking.
Overall we really enjoyed the stay and would stay again.
I do think the hike in price of £25, from £55 Mon-Thurs and then £80 Fri-Sun is a little steep. Ì know weekends are normally a little more but I feel that £80 is maybe a little high for the standard of the room.
All said, I would recommend The Bear and we will hopefully return ourselves.
Just for information, a taxi cost us £9.20 each way from The Bear to Belper. It will probably be a little more if its after midnight but for a Saturday night we thought this was reasonable for the distance.
Hopefully we'll get to eat there next time as well.

1 Thank Rachael S

Derby, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

It has had a lick of paint and we had a great carvery yesterday but the cider/lager was not good.
Still a long way to go till it's back to what it built it's reputation on ...

6 Thank Hannah4242
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What on earth has happened to the wonderful Bear Inn?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having been a patron of The Bear Inn for over a decade, I have been one of its biggest fans. Always telling people that if they visit the area they must visit it.

All this came to a shuddering halt last night. What has happened?

Where is the wonderful specials board that used to be the main feature of the restaurant? Where are the quality staff that were the backbone of this establishment?

The starters we had last night were very mixed and not up to the quality that I have come to expect here. Serving average sliced white bread with a gloopy pate is not what I expect of a Gastro Pub! Far worse than this, when my wife pointed this out to the staff they didn't really say a great deal and then as I was walking to the toilet later, were having a derogatory conversation about us within clear earshot of the main passageway. Terrible customer service.

The main courses were a mixed bag as well, with the burger being a huge and solid mass of inedible beef, and the veg for one of the meals arriving towards the end of the meal, despite a reminder.

The other thing that seems very odd is the hugely varying portion sizes, some of the meals were so big that they could not hope to be eaten and some were so small that they could have been missed!

This was such a dissapointing evening and I have rated the atmosphere as poor as this place used to remind me of something from Lord of the Rings, there was always an element of magic to The Bear Inn, which had sadly vanished.

We will not be coming back

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank Richnkirst1
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went to the Bear Inn On Friday for a Birthday celebration,have not been for a couple of years, the food has certainly gone downhill in fact this must be the second worst meal I have had at a restaurant. Will not be going back. A shame because it`s a nice venue and quite local.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank Lynne Y
worcestershire
“A mixed experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Went on the Saturday for a drink and found the staff and locals lovely. We were recommended the carvery by the locals who swore that it was the best around. The beer was excellent. We decided to go back on the Sunday and was a little disappointed by the barmaid. She really did not want to be there. We asked for a table and huffed when we said we hadn't booked (even though we could see the restaurant had been busy but was now pretty empty. She gave us a table number and we proceeded to the carvery only to find we needed to pay at the bar in advance. No mention of this when she gave us the table. I am pleased to say that the barman who served me this time was lovely. Friendly and courteous as I had expected from the girl. The meat on the carvery could not be faulted. Beef cooked three ways (Rare, Medium and well done) as well as pork, turkey and Lamb. The veg were good and I was ecstatic when I found they put a big bowl of extra cheese sauce for the cauliflower cheese. There were 3 types of potato but unfortunately the roast potatoes were best given a miss. They tasted like they had been cooked the day before and reheated and this is the first time ever I have left a yorkshire pudding as it was too chewy. These tasted like they had been microwaved. Shame as they looked lovely. I think it may have been because they were not as busy as usual due to it being a particularly hot day. Overall, good value for money and a few small tweaks would have made it excellent. I wish we had gone for the al a carte as the food looked excellent.

• Visited July 2014