“Great takeaway”

Ranked #16 of 83 Restaurants in Belper
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Very Good. Hot fresh & tasty. Staff worked quickly & politely & received food in under 10 minutes despite full takeaway area.

1  Thank Wendy M

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Rather disappointed to say the least after hearing so many good reviews, including one from a member of staff at a nearby Indian restaurant.
Service, I had a takeaway, was speedy and polite, and the portion size was good, but unfortunately this was let down drastically by the soggy batter on the fish, and the so so chips.
Obviously it would be stupid to assume all the Georges Tradition outlets serve poor standard food, but having recently read about the award they got, I am surprised to say the least.

Incidentally, the same award people voted the chip shop on the quay in Whitby as THEE best in the UK.
I have eaten there, they are, and by comparison, Georges Tradition shouldn't be in the same list.
Sorry, I won't be returning, at least not to the Ilkeston one.

GeorgesTradition01, Marketing Manager at George's Tradition, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Hi Craig,

Really sorry to hear that after looking forward to your visit it was not to the standard that you expected. If you could please email me at marketing@georgestradition.co.uk or call on 01332 226640, I can then find out all the details and look into this.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Ate in at George's last night after visiting the cinema. Good atmosphere, friendly service, and the fish and chips were excellent (especially the chips!). Served with mushy peas, bread and a mug of tea if you want it. There was also a good selection of bottled beers. Very good value for money, will definitely visit again.

GeorgesTradition01, Marketing Manager at George's Tradition, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Great to hear you loved your recent visit to our Belper restaurant. I'm glad this rounded off your evening nicely and I hope your next visit is just as enjoyalbe.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Visited this afternoon for 2 portions of chips, peas and gravy -stone cold and stodgy. Will not be returning as this is the 3rd bad experience we have had. King Street Fish Bar much more reliable for a good service and always piping hot and cooked fresh not disgusting leftovers.

1  Thank CKW259
GeorgesTradition01, Marketing Manager at George's Tradition, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Hello,

Thank you so much for making me aware of the unacceptable food quality that you have received on 3 different occasions at Belper. We will be looking into this based on your feedback. Please email me directly at marketing@georgestradition.co.uk and I can then contact you to keep you updated what we have looked into.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Visited George's today with my wife and son.
We arrived mid-afternoon to find the place rammed with customers. The windows were steamed up and the atmosphere was unbearably humid.
Had to wait ten minutes for a table, but time soon passed and we were shown to our seats.
I ordered large haddock 'special' and chips, my wife had the scampi and our son went for the small cod and chips.
We have visited Georges Tradition on dozens of occasions and it's generally pretty decent.
Having said that, we usually go to Ilkeston or Allestree.
To be honest, I wish we gone to Ilkeston today instead of Belper because our meals were mediocre.
A wait of 10 minutes is typical (as they can cook a piece of fish in 4½ minutes).
But not today. We waited a full 25 minutes for the meals to be served.
However when they eventually turned up the food was no more that luke warm.
In fact the chips were stone cold by the time I was less than half way through the meal.
I strongly suspect that the meals had been cooked promptly, but then left sitting under a 'heat lamp' for 10 or 15 minutes in the kitchen waiting for one of the servers to walk them to our table. Either that or they just took whatever the chip shop had sitting in the hopper and slapped it on a plate.
At Ilkeston all restaurant orders are freshly cooked and piping hot, but this was certainly not the case today at Belper.
Often the food at George's is very good.
Today it was dreadful.
The cost of this little treat?..... £22.45 (no starters, no sweets)
As the title says, "It's a gamble". You might get a great meal....... then again, you might not!
When we walked out into the street afterwards, I felt bitterly disappointed.
If you want a decent meal at Georges, try Ilkeston, Long Eaton or Allestree instead.
The odds will be more in your favour.

2  Thank English_Jabberwocky
GeorgesTradition01, Marketing Manager at George's Tradition, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit to our Belper restaurant. I was very sorry to hear of your recent experience, which I can imagine was very disappointing. Your detailed feedback has been passed on to our operations team and shop manager to investigate further. If you could kindly email marketing@georgestradition.co.uk, I will then follow up your feedback and be able to contact you once this has been fully investigated.

Many Thanks,