“Beautiful place with excellent staff!”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Derby, United Kingdom
“Beautiful place with excellent staff!”
Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one nite with a groupon voucher which was excellent value for money! Although some areas of the hotel was a little tired our room was beautiful! The staff were amazing, professional and couldn't do enough for us! Especially the staff in the restaurant Simon and Laura, they were rushed off their feet with only the two of them in the busy restaurant! They made sure everyone was served quickly and with a smile on their face, first class service! One nite wasn't enough we hope be back soon!

• Stayed February 2013
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m so pleased that you have had a good stay with us. We currently have an on-going in house maintenance scheme, so we’re trying to address each area and improve where needed. I will pass on your kind comments to both Laura, Simon and the rest of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall Hotel in the future

Kerry Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at makeney hall for one night and throughly enjoyed it. We stayed in room 26 and the room was very spacious and clean. Yes the decor is slightly dated but it wouldent look right with modern interior in a Victorian house!!! ... We ate in the restaurant and could not fault the service. The food was okay. We had breakfast the next morning which was lovely. Wide selection of both hot and cold to choose from. Reading previous reviews I was not really sure what to expect, yes there was minor things you could point out but only if you are really picky! I really dont go around running my finger along picture frames and looking for cracks in chair legs! I Would definately stay again at makeney hall.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m delighted that you have had a pleasant stay with us. We try to keep all in house bedrooms in keeping with the main house because as you have rightly mentioned modern rooms wouldn’t look or feel right. However we do offer a more updated bedroom in our courtyard area for any guests who prefer that style.

I’m pleased that you had a possive stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall Hotel in the near future

Birmingham
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stayed for one night on a Groupon deal that had been purchased for us as a gift. It included tea and cakes, a bottle of wine and breakfast.
After reading the room reviews I decided to upgrade paying £35 extra for the Strutt Suite. I think the suite sums up the hotel. It was a great lounge, large bathroom, large bedroom and its own sauna. Then you get to the niggles. The sauna hasn't been fitted properly and cold draughts blow from under the benches so you have a sauna that is cold at the bottom and hot at the top. In the lounge there is some lovely furniture but a settee that is worn and dirty. Even somebody else's crumbs under the cushions! The bathroom has a lovely double shower yet the water doesn't clear away very quickly so you stand in dirty water. The rail holding the shower head is loose. The old raw plugs are still in he wall where some old fittings have been removed. The toilet roll holder had come off the wall and had been left on the window sill. The light above the mirror didn't work. The bed was very comfortable yet there was a cold draught blowing from inside the wardrobe.
There was a problem at breakfast, the kitchen didn't have any gas! So some breakfast items were missing. The full English was small i.e. one sausage, one rasher of bacon, my egg was undercooked with runny egg white and it was all cold.
Staff throughout were excellent, friendly and attentive
Overall this hotel has lots of potential but needs someone to get a grip of it.

1 Thank Narcky
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m delighted that you have had a pleasant stay with us. I have handed over the issues that you experienced to our maintenance department, who will rectify each issue. Thank you for making us aware.

I would like to personally apologise about your breakfast experience, there was an issue with our gas supply (we had to call an engineer out, but this issue wasn’t resolved until the afternoon). Due to the kitchen being unable to use several items of equipment breakfast wasn’t served to its usual standard.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Stayed overnight on a groupon deal Thursday to Friday. The hotel was charming with friendly staff who were welcoming and helpful. We were put in room 8 which was the biggst hotel room I have ever stayed in! Huge room, big bed, spacious bathroom and a walk in closet. Great night's sleep too - bed wasn't just large it was very comfortable and we had big heavy curtains so the room was nice and dark. Enjoyed a couple of drinks in the bar - OK it wasn't brimming with choice but they had the basics, the wine was good and the prices were reasonble. Breakfast was nice - friendly staff took the order, and it was brought to your table so no horrid buffet! All in all we were really pleased and would not only reccommend the hotel but would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 999julie999
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m delighted that you have had a pleasant stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments on to the team.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We arranged to go to the hotel (via a voucher agency) from Sunday 27 January to Tuesday 29 January 2013. Please go by the directions the hotel gives on the web site, our Sat Nav took us out into the wilds of Derbyshire! Arrival was a bit protracted due to the room not being ready and there being a wedding going on. However, we go the complimentary tea and coffee and got to our very nice and large room. Lovely views, including the swollen River Derwent, with some snow still lingering. Can't fault the food or service; first class. Decore is tired in some areas but there was a decorator plying his trade in the corridor while we had breakfast. Would we go there again? Oh yes! Perhaps in the summer time as a contrast.

Room Tip: Try for an up-grade and rooms facing the front of the premises.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

We do have an on-going in house improvement scheme to improve the tired areas, recently finishing a refurb in one of our bar areas.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The room decor was worn and dated. Poor cleanliness - there was what looked like animal hair on the carpet. The bathroom was freezing cold and damp - there was no ventilation so mould had built up. It was impossible to use the shower due to the shower curtain being in a very odd position, right underneath the water jet. The bath was small.

Breakfast was underwhelming. The 'full English' was stodgy and appeared to have been thrown together with cheap ingredients. The sausages were full of gristle.

At check out their trained receptionist was not available so I was asked to leave my debit card details and assured that I would be called before any charges were made to my card. They then over-charged my card without authorisation. I phoned to complain and was told that they would email me the bill for me to review - they didn't. Days later the bill arrived in the post and I found that I had been charged for drinks we didn't have, despite assurances to the contrary when I phoned them.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience while with us.

It was actually myself who checked you out that morning, as our training receptionist was unable to make it in due to heavy snow fall. I don’t recall any negative comments from that morning and no negative comments were recorded in our duty managers diary, if I had of been aware I would have personally apologised to you and of course compensated you. In regards to the card payment I have called you several time and left three voice mails again to apologise and ensure the issue has been resolved – please feel free to contact me on 01332 842 99.

I hope that I can welcome you back in the near future and restore that faith lost.

Kerry Rawson

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I was expecting more from this manor house hotel.
Although kept well in keeping decor wise with its age, the furniture, especially the bed was looking not 'vintage' but from a at boot sale. The mattress became wafer thin when I lay on it.
Not all rooms have shower capabilities and the bathroom facilities were very dated - but not necessarily in keeping with the Victorian theme.

I stayed in the Nursery on the top floor which was like a furnace. And the window opened no more than about 2 inches. Needless to say, I had a terrible nights sleep and lay awake until 3am trying to keep cool.

I had dinner as room service as I arrived at 8pm. Check in was prompt and pleasant and I was told I would wait just half an hour for my dinner. It was gone 9pm by the time dinner arrived. It was ok although the bruschetta for starters was very hard and was more like a chunk of thick bread than a bruschetta.

Breakfast is served in one of the function rooms in a modern part of the building. I received burnt toast for breakfast and two cocktail sausages (about 2 inches long) as part of my sausage and scrambled egg on toast.

All aside, the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The views are indeed lovely although I am sure they would look better in the spring/summer.

However I would not choose to say here again if looking to stay in a 4* hotel. I would rate this hotels services as 2 to 3 stars.

• Stayed January 2013

I’m afraid that all of our higher floor bedrooms have window restrictors on them as health and safety requires this and it is common practise throughout most hotels.

We do currently have an on-going in house improvement scheme to improve the tired areas, recently finishing a refurb in one of our bar areas.

I do apologise that breakfast wasn’t to its usual standard I will certainly pass your feedback onto our chef so he can make the necessary improvements.

I hope that I can welcome you back in the near future and restore the faith lost.

Kerry Rawson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
The Lion Hotel
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!