“Makeney Hall”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
staffordshire
“Makeney Hall”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at Makeney Hall on 22/02/13 for I night. The room was lovely spotlessly clean and a bottle of wine was in the room. The room was very warm which was lovely as it was a cold weekend, the only downfall was that the mattress was like a lump of concrete which was not good for my husbands arthritic bones but apart from that I can't understand what people complain about. All the staff were really lovely they couldn't do enough for you and the food was first class. The evening meal was delicious and there was more than enough food at breakfast that catered for all needs. We would definitely choose to stay here again. Thank you to all the staff you were great

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17 in the main hotel
3 Thank greyhaired
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I’m pleased that you had a good experience while with us. I will also share your feedback with the rest of the team as all feedback helps us improve and progress further.

I hope the we can welcome you back in the not too distant future

Kerry Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very good value for the price we paid on a weekend offer, room excellent size, although the bath was a small but still ok for a soak.
Room clean, food very good if eating in the hotel, overall a very relaxing break

I hope the we can welcome you back in the not too distant future

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My friend and i were given a free night back at Makenay Hall Hotel as our first experience hadn't been good. Unfortunately the same faults were apparent and no improvement, in fact probably worse. Our room in the court yard was basic and certainly not 4 star. We had been offered the best room but the engineers were working on the sauna so chose another room.The carpet was very stained ( we took a picture, same as the one on photos of this hotel), bathroom was freezing and no way could we have a shower or bath as so cold, the windows of the bathroom were filthy. The heating went off at 10.30 ish even though it was -5 outside. So after going to bed in a hoodie and socks we phoned reception and they put the heating back on. The blonde lady in reception was lovely, helpful and friendly. The room had large cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, grubby marks on the wall, no valance to cover the bed base and an inch tear in the duvet cover. Internet connection was so weak it wouldn't connect up at all. Very loud banging noises at 7.30 which sounded like poor plumbing, happened again at 8 - no way you could sleep through that. Breakfast was good and a lovely building but shabby and needing updating. I would say a tired 3 star at best if it was clean. very disappointing

Room Tip: Not the courtyard!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank strawberry36

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

Derby, England
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Groupon and paid for the room to be upgraded.

I had booked the meal in the restaurant for the evening and had been called to ask if we wanted to upgrade to the valentines menu. We did and it was lovely!!

The reception staff were helpful and had placed a bottle of wine in our room. Tea and cakes were a little slow in coming up but were worth the wait.

We stayed in the old nursery- room 32 - and it was huge! Very clean, as was the bathroom. The only let down was that it is getting a bit shabby. The sofa bed had torn upholstery and the bed itself is very soft with the divan base having a couple of old stains that really shouldve been covered by a valance sheet.

The food in the restaurant was fabulous. Compliments to the chef who did a great job. The staff were good although the service was a little slow and there didnt seem to be anyone that was running the floor to keep everything in flow. Despite that, we had a lovely time and it didnt spoil our evening.

Breakfast the next morning was good. We enjoying both hot and cold breakfast.

Check out in the morning was quick and easy

All in all i would stay here again. My only recommendation would be to get the rooms updated as they are in desperate need of it

• Stayed February 2013
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I’m pleased that you had a good experience while with us. I will also pass your feedback over to the kitchen team as all feedback helps us improve and progress further.

We do have an internal maintenance scheme in place to improve some of our more tired areas, recently finishing one of our bar areas.

Godmanchester, Cambs
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Makeney Hall also as part of a groupon deal so excellent value for money. We have stayed here before so we knew what to expect. Our room was large and very elegantly decorated. The bathroom was big too but like other guests have said it was in need of updating-nothing major. To add that touch of luxury a spa bath would be my suggestion. Breakfast was also very good. Continental breakfast was a help yourself job and the hot being cooked to order which was nice as it is often a buffet style in hotels. We found all staff to be very friendly and couldn't fault them. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2013

Swindon, Wiltshire
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed as part of a groupon voucher which we received as a gift. Only had executive rooms available on the dates we wanted so this came at a supplement of £10 per night which I was going to go for anyway.

Tea and cakes on arrival and a bottle of wine in the room was included.

We booked the special dinner deal at £15 each for 2 courses and the food and service were very good. Paid an extra £5 each for a third course and it came with a free bottle of wine.

Staff were always very pleasant.

Breakfast on the first morning was good but the second day was quite bad. They seemed extremely understaffed, even the receptionist was helping out. Breakfast was 8.00-10.30, we came down at 9.30 and they had ran out of orange juice with no more in the kitchen. Had to wait for bread as the basket was empty, milk jug for the cereal empty, no mushrooms, no bacon, no clean bowls. We were offered tea or coffee when we sat down, we asked for tea and when the waitress brought it out it went to a different table. We ended up with a pot of tea for 1 with an extra tea bag on the side and we were told to ask when we wanted the pot topped up for the second cup!

We ate out the second night at a lovely local restaurant, The Hanging Gate. Would recommend, only 10 minutes away.

The executive room was huge with a nice bathroom with corner bath. Bit of wear and tear visible in the bathroom but generally ok. What I found bad in the bedroom was the armchair which I have added a picture of. I think furniture with that much wear and tear is absolutely unacceptable for a room I am paying an extra £10 a night for! Obviously something like this didn't ruin our stay which was enjoyable but still something that needs addressing.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

nottingham
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed at Makeney Hall hotel as part of a Groupn Deal . The hotel is ideally located to the peak district

I upgraded our room and stayed in the main part of the hotel in the old nursery. the room was spacious with a massive TV on the wall

Afternoon tea was very nice and breakfast just as good.

We didnt eat at the hotel but found a lovely pub a minute away called the Holly bush inn which is fab .

The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help.

I would recommend to stay in this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m delighted that you have had a pleasant stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall Hotel in the near future

Kerry Rawson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Horsley
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!