“Glad I got a bargain price”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Glad I got a bargain price”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I booked into the Makeney because an as yet unmet friend from the US was booked there when on a business trip to the UK. I was delighted to find I could get a room for £39 instead of the standard £120. Boy was I misled! Having got lost in the dark (blame the sat nav!) and spent an hour traversing narrow country lanes without a clue where I was, I arrive at an ill-lit car park, extremely tired and cold with the makings of a nasty cold. Turned out my room had a outside door but no porter to take me there - I was taken to the door and had the entrant pointed out across the car park!

Room as sort of nice but tired and with rather yukky bits. Worst was the tv remote which was sticky and the buttons clogged around with grease from many fingers. I had to clean it with a moist tissue before I could bear to use it. Still, the TV was a nice size, W/S with excellent reception.

Bathroom was icy cold and had a corner bath which, with arthritic knees, I found it very difficult to get into. The tiles were soiled with mold in the corners and the shower head looked a bit manky, even repaired with rather grubby looking tape in one place!

One thing really made me laugh was that the shelf at the hand basin was above head height having obviously been place over a largish framed picture which was at shoulder level. As a result, there was nowhere to put one's toothbrush or anything. Would it have been such a leap of logic to have put the picture higher and the shelf at a more sensible level? Obviously not.

All in all, the entire premises looked like a candidate for "The Hotel Inspector" as the once grand décor and furnishings are now dated and tired looking. Carpets worn and stained, curtains that are really dated and nets that are inches narrower than the window!

I had dinner and breakfast and I'll admit I'm a bit of a fussy eater, but neither meal was more than average. Best course at dinner was the biscuits and cheese! Must say, the young man who served me at dinner was really pleasant and tried very hard to set himself a high standard. Kudos to him!

However, when I went to breakfast, the view of the Derbyshire countryside from the restaurant was breathtaking.

Had I paid the regular price for this, I would have been on the phone to the manager right then and there. But I thought for a B&B price, B&B standards was about what I got!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daisy M
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I’m pleased that you had a good experience while with us. I will also share your feedback with the rest of the team as all feedback helps us improve and progress further.
We’re located just off the main A6, so I do apologise that your sav nav took you’re a more scenic route. I also would like to apologise that our night porter didn’t escort you to your bedroom and I will certainly feed this back to his line manager to avoid this happening again.

In regards to our bedrooms we do have an internal maintenance scheme in place to improve some of our more tired areas, recently finishing one of our bar areas. Some of our bedroom do need a little attention and this is something we hope to complete very shortly and therefore ensuring that all of our bedrooms are to the highest standard. It’s a shame that you didn’t feed this back to us as we would of happy upgraded you into a different bedroom and we do have selection of really beautiful bedrooms.

I will also pass on your feedback to our kitchen team and I apologise that the meal wasn’t to your liking.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future and restore the faith that is lost

Kerry Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Recently had two night stay in this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday but sadly it turned out to be a birthday to forget. We were greeted by a lady on reception who could not book us in, which begs the question why was she working on reception? We stayed in the Chinese room, in the main building, and the only thing remotely chinese about it was a picture on the wall with some foreign writing. Although the room was of a good size, the coving above the bed had cracked badly and all the paint had come off. The room was extremely cold and not as advertised. Food was generally good, but service was poor - we waited 35 minutes for a starter to be delivered. We felt that parts of the hotel were badly in need of refurbishment. We have since written a letter of complaint to the Manager, but almost two weeks later have not received a response which just about sums it up!!

2 Thank Kevin C
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for leaving a review, these are valuable to us as it allows us to learn about a guests experience and then improve our product or services accordingly. I responded to you on February 18th, unfortunately this appears to have not made its way to you. (Thank you for bringing this to my attention.) I have re-posted this to you today. So hopefully it should be with you in a couple of days.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Chinese suite, the bedrooms rooms were named when the hotel was first built as a home and this is something that we’ve left as its part of the hotels history. This is something that I think we should now review, especially if it leaves our guests disappointed in their allocated bedroom.
I will also pass on your feedback to both our food and beverage manager and the reception manager as there is clearly a need for re – training and I do once again apologise that this was something you encountered during your stay.

Should you wish to discuss further please don’t hesitate contacting me – 01332 845701

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

staffordshire
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at Makeney Hall on 22/02/13 for I night. The room was lovely spotlessly clean and a bottle of wine was in the room. The room was very warm which was lovely as it was a cold weekend, the only downfall was that the mattress was like a lump of concrete which was not good for my husbands arthritic bones but apart from that I can't understand what people complain about. All the staff were really lovely they couldn't do enough for you and the food was first class. The evening meal was delicious and there was more than enough food at breakfast that catered for all needs. We would definitely choose to stay here again. Thank you to all the staff you were great

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17 in the main hotel
3 Thank greyhaired

I hope the we can welcome you back in the not too distant future

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very good value for the price we paid on a weekend offer, room excellent size, although the bath was a small but still ok for a soak.
Room clean, food very good if eating in the hotel, overall a very relaxing break

I hope the we can welcome you back in the not too distant future

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My friend and i were given a free night back at Makenay Hall Hotel as our first experience hadn't been good. Unfortunately the same faults were apparent and no improvement, in fact probably worse. Our room in the court yard was basic and certainly not 4 star. We had been offered the best room but the engineers were working on the sauna so chose another room.The carpet was very stained ( we took a picture, same as the one on photos of this hotel), bathroom was freezing and no way could we have a shower or bath as so cold, the windows of the bathroom were filthy. The heating went off at 10.30 ish even though it was -5 outside. So after going to bed in a hoodie and socks we phoned reception and they put the heating back on. The blonde lady in reception was lovely, helpful and friendly. The room had large cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, grubby marks on the wall, no valance to cover the bed base and an inch tear in the duvet cover. Internet connection was so weak it wouldn't connect up at all. Very loud banging noises at 7.30 which sounded like poor plumbing, happened again at 8 - no way you could sleep through that. Breakfast was good and a lovely building but shabby and needing updating. I would say a tired 3 star at best if it was clean. very disappointing

Room Tip: Not the courtyard!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank strawberry36
Derby, England
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Groupon and paid for the room to be upgraded.

I had booked the meal in the restaurant for the evening and had been called to ask if we wanted to upgrade to the valentines menu. We did and it was lovely!!

The reception staff were helpful and had placed a bottle of wine in our room. Tea and cakes were a little slow in coming up but were worth the wait.

We stayed in the old nursery- room 32 - and it was huge! Very clean, as was the bathroom. The only let down was that it is getting a bit shabby. The sofa bed had torn upholstery and the bed itself is very soft with the divan base having a couple of old stains that really shouldve been covered by a valance sheet.

The food in the restaurant was fabulous. Compliments to the chef who did a great job. The staff were good although the service was a little slow and there didnt seem to be anyone that was running the floor to keep everything in flow. Despite that, we had a lovely time and it didnt spoil our evening.

Breakfast the next morning was good. We enjoying both hot and cold breakfast.

Check out in the morning was quick and easy

All in all i would stay here again. My only recommendation would be to get the rooms updated as they are in desperate need of it

• Stayed February 2013
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I’m pleased that you had a good experience while with us. I will also pass your feedback over to the kitchen team as all feedback helps us improve and progress further.

We do have an internal maintenance scheme in place to improve some of our more tired areas, recently finishing one of our bar areas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall in the near future.

Kerry
Godmanchester, Cambs
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Makeney Hall also as part of a groupon deal so excellent value for money. We have stayed here before so we knew what to expect. Our room was large and very elegantly decorated. The bathroom was big too but like other guests have said it was in need of updating-nothing major. To add that touch of luxury a spa bath would be my suggestion. Breakfast was also very good. Continental breakfast was a help yourself job and the hot being cooked to order which was nice as it is often a buffet style in hotels. We found all staff to be very friendly and couldn't fault them. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2013
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013

I look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall in the near future.

Kerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Horsley Lodge
Horsley Lodge
#1 of 1 in Horsley

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!