“just a total mess”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Goole, United Kingdom
“just a total mess”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Just returned from this hotel and felt I must write the review straight away to try to stop other people experiencing what we did.
This mini break was a gift from my sister in law.
We arrived for our 2 night stay on the 10th of March ( our pearl wedding anniversay) We were put in an attick room that was very shabby and so cold we had to get into bed to stay warm ( room 23 ) we did complain and was told that the hotel is old and hard to keep warm, no comfort to us!!.
Our bed was one of those that you roll into the middle, I dare not look at the mattress, not wanting to see what I might find.
The whole place is dirty and uninviting. Please think twice abiout staying there!!.
Eileen Ward

Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
I’m really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with us and I’m very shocked to read about the issues that you have experienced.

It is difficult for us to sometime heat the hotel, due to its age all of our in house bedrooms are different sizes, but we would of happily put the heating back on for you or given you a portable heater.

The room that was given to you is an original bedroom of the main house, all of our in house bedrooms have their own quirks and is something that we haven’t changed as we believe they should be in keeping with the main house and its age. I do apologise that this style of bedroom isn’t your preferred taste. Our courtyard bedrooms are much more standardised and may have been better suited to you.

We use an external cleaning company to ensure that all of your bedrooms are cleaned to the highest standard, so I will pass on your feedback so they can discuss with the housekeeping team.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future and restore the faith that is lost

Kerry Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Leeds
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We were given a night at Makeney Hall Hotel as a Xmas gift from a close relative and with 2 children under 4 were really looking forward to a night away, just the 2 of us.

It was such a shame. I would actually have prefered to stay at home. We were in room 1 in the Courtyard. The room was old-fashioned but clean. The bathroom was a huge letdown. No shower! Just a plastic hose attachment to fix to the taps which didn't actually fit the taps so was of no use at all! We contacted reception straight away to request a room with a shower and were told the hotel was fully booked and we couldn't change. Obviously we were disappointed but we'd tried.

Sadly the shower issue was not the worst part of the stay. At approx 2 am we were woken by guests accessing the room above via the metal staircase outside our bedroom window. Then to our dismay we found out there were sound issues with the room. We could hear the guests using the toilet and every single footstep which made our ceiling creak unbearably. This carried on for half an hour until my aggravated husband shouted 'shut up'! Of course some noise is expected when staying in a hotel but this was dreadful. We were woken again at 6.30 to the people above moving about at which point we just gave up on sleep. It really was unbearable and I don't think room 1 can be used when the room above is also in use as the sound is shockingly loud.

I honestly felt I wish I'd stayed at home and at least been able to get a good night's sleep. We didn't complain in the morning because we were both so tired and fed up that our much awaited night away was ruined.

Yes the room was clean and we received a free bottle of wine but sleep is more important and I really feel this room is not fit for purpose. How much does an electric shower cost? And the noise was totally unacceptable I would recommend the hotel manager stays a night in the room with guests above to see just how bad it is!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1 in the courtyard!
1 Thank LeedsLaura36
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
I’m really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with us and I’m very disappointed to read about the issues that you have experienced while with us.

We are currently looking into getting a shower installed into room one, this is a recent issue and I’m afraid it is more complicated than purchasing an electric shower, however I do apologise about the inconvenience this caused you and the issue will be shortly resolved. In regards to the noise this is something that hasn’t been reported to me before, but it is something I will certainly look into and rectify.

It’s a shame that you didn’t complain on check out as this would have been our opportunity to of rectified these issues and compensated you for the experience that you had.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Not sure what all the complaints are about as we had a lovely meal. My husband and I went for a meal at the Makeney Hall, as we are local we didn't need to stay. the restaurant was empty but we were early and there was a wedding on so I guess all the guests were at the wedding. The service was really good and the food 9 out of 10. We had a set menu 3 courses for £25 which was very good value for such nice food. To start we had fish cakes which were really nice and were big however they could have done with a touch more seasoning (and maybe a choice of sweet chilli sauce as an alternative to tartare sauce) and the side salad had no dressing but the waitress did bring out some for us to add ourselves. The steak was big and very tasty. It had a chargrilled taste to it and the steamed vegetables were a nice addition. The portions were quite big (which was nice) and by the time desert came we were both quite full but then we normally get by just on one course at home! The desert I had was really really nice - profiteroles with banana cream and toffee sauce basically banoffee profiteroles however the cream could have done with a little sugar and more toffee sauce would have been nice. The negatives were only very minor things and I hope the chef takes this a constructive criticism and guests should not be put off at all as overall the meal was way up there as one of the best in my experience. We will be back in the future and would recommend to friends.

2 Thank eating42
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I’m pleased that you had a good experience while with us. I will also pass your feedback over to the kitchen team as all feedback helps us improve and progress further.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall in the near future.

Kerry
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I booked into the Makeney because an as yet unmet friend from the US was booked there when on a business trip to the UK. I was delighted to find I could get a room for £39 instead of the standard £120. Boy was I misled! Having got lost in the dark (blame the sat nav!) and spent an hour traversing narrow country lanes without a clue where I was, I arrive at an ill-lit car park, extremely tired and cold with the makings of a nasty cold. Turned out my room had a outside door but no porter to take me there - I was taken to the door and had the entrant pointed out across the car park!

Room as sort of nice but tired and with rather yukky bits. Worst was the tv remote which was sticky and the buttons clogged around with grease from many fingers. I had to clean it with a moist tissue before I could bear to use it. Still, the TV was a nice size, W/S with excellent reception.

Bathroom was icy cold and had a corner bath which, with arthritic knees, I found it very difficult to get into. The tiles were soiled with mold in the corners and the shower head looked a bit manky, even repaired with rather grubby looking tape in one place!

One thing really made me laugh was that the shelf at the hand basin was above head height having obviously been place over a largish framed picture which was at shoulder level. As a result, there was nowhere to put one's toothbrush or anything. Would it have been such a leap of logic to have put the picture higher and the shelf at a more sensible level? Obviously not.

All in all, the entire premises looked like a candidate for "The Hotel Inspector" as the once grand décor and furnishings are now dated and tired looking. Carpets worn and stained, curtains that are really dated and nets that are inches narrower than the window!

I had dinner and breakfast and I'll admit I'm a bit of a fussy eater, but neither meal was more than average. Best course at dinner was the biscuits and cheese! Must say, the young man who served me at dinner was really pleasant and tried very hard to set himself a high standard. Kudos to him!

However, when I went to breakfast, the view of the Derbyshire countryside from the restaurant was breathtaking.

Had I paid the regular price for this, I would have been on the phone to the manager right then and there. But I thought for a B&B price, B&B standards was about what I got!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daisy M
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I’m pleased that you had a good experience while with us. I will also share your feedback with the rest of the team as all feedback helps us improve and progress further.
We’re located just off the main A6, so I do apologise that your sav nav took you’re a more scenic route. I also would like to apologise that our night porter didn’t escort you to your bedroom and I will certainly feed this back to his line manager to avoid this happening again.

In regards to our bedrooms we do have an internal maintenance scheme in place to improve some of our more tired areas, recently finishing one of our bar areas. Some of our bedroom do need a little attention and this is something we hope to complete very shortly and therefore ensuring that all of our bedrooms are to the highest standard. It’s a shame that you didn’t feed this back to us as we would of happy upgraded you into a different bedroom and we do have selection of really beautiful bedrooms.

I will also pass on your feedback to our kitchen team and I apologise that the meal wasn’t to your liking.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Recently had two night stay in this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday but sadly it turned out to be a birthday to forget. We were greeted by a lady on reception who could not book us in, which begs the question why was she working on reception? We stayed in the Chinese room, in the main building, and the only thing remotely chinese about it was a picture on the wall with some foreign writing. Although the room was of a good size, the coving above the bed had cracked badly and all the paint had come off. The room was extremely cold and not as advertised. Food was generally good, but service was poor - we waited 35 minutes for a starter to be delivered. We felt that parts of the hotel were badly in need of refurbishment. We have since written a letter of complaint to the Manager, but almost two weeks later have not received a response which just about sums it up!!

2 Thank Kevin C
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for leaving a review, these are valuable to us as it allows us to learn about a guests experience and then improve our product or services accordingly. I responded to you on February 18th, unfortunately this appears to have not made its way to you. (Thank you for bringing this to my attention.) I have re-posted this to you today. So hopefully it should be with you in a couple of days.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Chinese suite, the bedrooms rooms were named when the hotel was first built as a home and this is something that we’ve left as its part of the hotels history. This is something that I think we should now review, especially if it leaves our guests disappointed in their allocated bedroom.
I will also pass on your feedback to both our food and beverage manager and the reception manager as there is clearly a need for re – training and I do once again apologise that this was something you encountered during your stay.

Should you wish to discuss further please don’t hesitate contacting me – 01332 845701

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

staffordshire
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at Makeney Hall on 22/02/13 for I night. The room was lovely spotlessly clean and a bottle of wine was in the room. The room was very warm which was lovely as it was a cold weekend, the only downfall was that the mattress was like a lump of concrete which was not good for my husbands arthritic bones but apart from that I can't understand what people complain about. All the staff were really lovely they couldn't do enough for you and the food was first class. The evening meal was delicious and there was more than enough food at breakfast that catered for all needs. We would definitely choose to stay here again. Thank you to all the staff you were great

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17 in the main hotel
3 Thank greyhaired

I hope the we can welcome you back in the not too distant future

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very good value for the price we paid on a weekend offer, room excellent size, although the bath was a small but still ok for a soak.
Room clean, food very good if eating in the hotel, overall a very relaxing break

I hope the we can welcome you back in the not too distant future

Kerry Rawson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Horsley Lodge
Horsley Lodge
#1 of 1 in Horsley

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!