“Overnight stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Avignon, France
“Overnight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a one-night stay on the 14th November. We were given room 5 upon which when first entering had a wow factor. Then reality kicked in. The room quickly became cold when the sun went down. I was told by reception at around 4pm that the heating would be on shortly. About an hour and half later, by which time we were both very cold, I reported it again to reception. They offered to bring up a small radiator which we accepted, not that it was much use. The heat came on about 5.30 but it took a long time to warm up the room.
Again in the dining room, we had booked for 8pm but asked if we could dine earlier. There was only a handful of people in the restaurant but we were still kept waiting and eventually got our starters at around 8.30pm! The wait was unacceptably long winded.
In the bathroom of room 5, has anyone ever really tried to have a shower!! The handheld shower is useless. It spins round in your hand and part of it is coming apart! The towels were stained as was our duvet cover. This is not what I expect from a 4 star hotel.
Finally, the first thing a guest sees as they enter the hotel is the front door. It looks very neglected and brass looks as though it hasn't been cleaned for ages. That goes for the windows in the building too.
I have noted that the manager offers apologies when people write poor reviews but what do they actually do about it??? I never saw an offer of " come again and have afternoon tea on us"!!!
But then again, the reviews on afternoon tea leave much to be desired!!
Doubt we will come again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christinelindley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We got married on the 3rd of November at Makeney Hall.
It is a gorgeous hotel with beautiful gardens and wonderful views from the room.
The room was clean, tidy and had the best bathtub ever!
The staff were lovely, patient and helpful.
We would 100% recommend it for staying and a perfect wedding venue.

• Stayed November 2013
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m so pleased to hear that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your kind comments to the team and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is set in lovely grounds in a very nice part of the world. The hotel was in need of some TLC and the beds were very uncomfortable, as mentioned by others the staff are nice. Overall I'm glad that we had a voucher to stay as full price would not be worth the money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ColMcK
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your stay was not entirely positive, for which I can only apologise. We do have an internal improvement scheme in place at the hotel and we do continuality try to improve the appearance of the hotel. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service. I hope that you re-visit us soon and provide us with an opportunity to restore the faith that has been lost.
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Bathroom was dirty, mildew round the bath, bath panel had a big crack in it, there was no shower, just a shower hose that would only fit on the sink, not very good to wash long hair, there was no where to even hang our towels. There was no remote for the tv it took two complaints and two day to sort, we were a party of three yet they only supplied two cups for tea or coffee, the room was very tired and dated it really needs to be updated, and it looked like they had just placed any type of furniture in the room, did not match. I have stayed in many hotels across the country wether for work or leisure, this one would not be one that I would return too, or recommend to anyone. ratings out of 10 - a poor 4

Room Tip: don't bother, choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. I had notified the hotel by email that it was a special surprise break for my husband's 65th birthday. I received a call from Gemma who told me that they had upgraded our room for free and asked if there was anything else they could arrange. I asked for chocolates and a balloon with breakfast in bed on the actual birthday date. This was all arranged. Our room was actually the Strutt suite which had its own sauna! The hotel and grounds are lovely for a relaxing break. The food is very good and reasonably priced. We very much enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel which I found through Buyagift.com. Everything was spot on and my husband had a birthday treat to remember!

• Stayed October 2013

Wakefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My partner and i came here on a groupon deal on the 19th of October. Both of us had read the reviews on here and some were quite scathing! well i'm happy to say we were amazed by how lovely everything was and not at all like the reviews ( some people can be so picky) food fabulous room very spacious and bed very comfortable and most of all very clean. I would definitely come back again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it friends or family either....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

makeney hall was amazing a beautiful hotel and just as lovely gardens.We went for one night .we spent a fab afternoon in the local pub opposite Hollybush .The room in makaney hall was very spacious with a large tv, it was one of the largest rooms we have stayed in and it had a n old cooking range in .When we went down for dinner staff were very attentive we sat in conservatory and they reserved our seats because we wanted to sit near the window which i thought was very good of them .Food was lovely we had 3 courses but i advise 2 courses as large portions .We stayed here with an offer fro KGB it was 79 pound that included bed and breakfast for two, a bottle of wine, 20 pound off your food bill .All in all super weekend would love the offer to come again would book straight away

Room Tip: Room 32 The nursery enormous,good field views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
The Lion Hotel
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!