“Only for those who like their hotels grubby”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Reviewed 17 March 2014

On arrival the immediate sensation was of a grubby and musty building in severe need of total redecoration and a deep clean . The room (23) was no better and the common areas of the hotel were grubby in the extreme.
We took breakfast - a big mistake with both hot and cold options offering poor and expensive choices.
This hotel should be avoided at all costs - there must be better alternatives.

Room Tip: Find a better hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

I do feel that the comments made are very harsh and do not represent the hotel at all. The hotels public areas are in keeping with the age of the hotel and are far from grubby. The public areas along with the guests bedrooms and serviced each day with deep cleaning happening each week. In regards the breakfast the items on offer are not of cheap quality, we service over a thousand breakfasts a month and guests are happy with both the produce and service. If you were unhappy with the bedroom allocated to you, reception would of happily offered another bedroom better suited to your needs. It is a shame that these issues were not bought to the attention of a duty manager as they could have resolved some of your issues or offered some kind of compensation for your dissatisfaction. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Lovely welcome due to I arrived late evening, food was about to finished and was advised would take order and then I can go and settle in my room.dinner was nice not brill but depends on your taste clean and inviting room.
Bedroom was big and spacious the room itself was a bit dusty but not dirty, bathroom clean and spacious with complimentary toiletries.
Free wifi
Breakfast very nice a very good choice of items and cooked breakfast nice stay in a lovely area and good views of the countryside

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan d

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The room was very musty and the window didn't shut, cobwebs on ceilings and very dusty. Bathroom tired and water pressure a really issue. Avoid room 23! Breakfast was buffet style and ran out on the Sunday morning of hot food. On a positive staff very friendly, beautiful grounds & ample car parking. Management never replied to complaint, Needs improvement

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us. I haven’t received any form of direct communication from you regarding your stay, so I apologies if you have been waiting for me to contact you. Please feel free to contact me directly on - Gm.makeneyhall@akkeronhotels.com or 01332 842 999.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We booked one night on a Livingsocial package which included a two-course dinner+wine and breakfast. We only paid £76 so it was value for money, normally we were told it is £115.00.
Room 14 was clean but certainly needing some refurbishment. There was no valance on the bed, no cushions either, very plain and not at all like other 4* hotels we have stayed it. The tv looked dated and there was no remote control. Like in other reviews the central heating was quite noisy but despite this the room was warm and the bathroom was clean and adequate.
The meals were served in the conservatory. Unfortunately the radiators weren't on so it was a little on the cold side, also a few cobwebs on the light fittings.
However, the food was presented well and tasted good. The staff are very polite and friendly and they went out their way to make sure everything was okay. However, upon checking out (Saturday, 8th March) the Receptionist seemed a little sharp, she didn't ask if we had enjoyed our stay and if there were any issues. It just seemed that she wanted to check us out and that was it, probably a little more training is required on customer service!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us. We are planning on making improvements to our bedrooms this year and it does including new TV’s etc. I hope that maybe we can welcome you back later in the year so that you can take advantage of these updates.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Usually stay in a premier inn when we go away, but as travelling without any children, thought I'd splash out on something a little more pricey for a special weekend away. I paid for the Executive double, rather than standard, which appears to have meant we had a (ripped) sofa in the room.... no period features (as advertised) and nothing about it that made it a special room. Very soft/old feeling mattress which made us sink into the middle of it. Staff informed up the lift was broken, and even through our room was on the top floor, there was no offer of help with carrying baggage upstairs. Wholey disappointed with the hotel (and the somewhat musty smell...) and not at all worth what we paid for. A Premier Inn would have been much cheaper, and much better!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us. We are planning on making improvements to our bedrooms this year and it does including new sofas etc. If we were made aware that you wanting to take advantage of the hotels period features we would of happily allocated a bedroom that had plenty or alternatively we would of happily moved you into another bedroom after check in if we were aware that the bedroom wasn’t right for you. I hope that maybe we can welcome you back later in the year so that you can take advantage of these updates.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

A friend purchased this as a gift for my birthday (through Amazon local) and it was a really lovely experience. The Afternoon Tea is served in the conservatory and we were given a table by the window with great views of the local countryside. We started with a glass of pink fizz and then had the choice of tea or coffee to accompany our sandwiches, scones, fruit cake and meringues. The staff were very friendly and although it was fairly quiet in the restaurant we didn't feel at all awkward or conspicuous! We were intrigued though as to the lack of other customers, as when we had phoned to book we were given very limited times, as the receptionist said they were 'absolutely fully booked!'
Minor suggestion for improvement would be to provide either another round of sandwiches or make the current ones a little bigger (these were the smallest we've ever had with afternoon tea!). All in all a great experience which has made us consider a future stay at the hotel and/or a meal in the restaurant.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Our booking was complimentry so its hard to have to say anything negative. However firstly the positives. The grounds,buildings and rooms are well presented and clean. Our room did not have a shower in which was a disapointment.However I suppose the large bath/bathroom fitted in well with what you may expect from a property like it is. The restuarant was pleasant and the food was exceptional. A credit to the chef.
On to the issues ...during the night the central heating came on and the system rumbled and made noises for over an hour !. Now lets be fair it is an old system and probably to be expected.
At around 6.00 am a horrible engine noise was reving and popping..It sounded like an old petrol lawn mower,chain saw or even a motorbike. So that was that..enough was enough and we had to get up at 7.15 on a sunday morning. We did complain on exit and was told that it was just the heating system...I am convinced it wasn't just the heating but our stay was free and we didnt want to leave on a sour note. We even missed breakfast because we felt so tired still.
Shame really but there it is.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a shower in your room and ask for a quiet one if possible!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us. I’m so sorry to hear that you experienced so much noise and it is strange and very disappointing to hear. Without knowing what bedroom you was in it is very difficult to investigate further, however I am very sorry that this did occur.

Kerry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Callow Hall Hotel
Callow Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mappleton
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!