“Lovely Old England Charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Old England Charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I spent a weekend here and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Beautiful old manor house, tired in parts, cranky central heating although noisey made us both laugh. Regardless it was wonderful, quiet and romatic place to stay. The staff were excellent especially the head waiter in the restuarant who couldn't do enough to please. The food was excellent ie buffet breakfast and the dinner on the evening. We had a bathroom to dance in, an enormous bedroom and walk in wardrobe. the biggest bedroom we have ever had anywhere. We would definately return when in Derby way again. Thank you Makeney for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: This hotel is away from any roads and I don't think there would be much noise anywhere, that bei...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie H
Kerry R, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Kerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a night here for wifes birthday got key to room 19 a very spacious and tidy room the biggest I have stayed in very clean etc .Had a lovely meal in conservatory couldn't fault food or friendly staff .Breakfast also tasty not big bloating portions.Ok lift was broke and maybe some decor is dated but its an old Hall.We stayed on a Groupon deal we felt like we got treated as a normal paying customer and would definitely return .

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We returned to this hotel after having such a wonderful time in 2007. Unfortunately the saying "Never return to the same place" is true. We were disappointed from when we arrived to when we left. Nothing major, but enough to make us think twice before returning. The hotel is looking very tired and in urgent need of a makeover. When we checked in we asked for dinner for four at 7.00 pm to be told that we could have 7.30 pm. Due to medical constraints this was not possible so we were reluctantly given 7.00 pm. Our room (Room 20) was described as one of the Bridal Suites but apart from being extremely large had little else going for it. One of the bedside lights did not work so I changed the bulb for another in a table light. One of the bulbs in the chandelier was not working, which I did not bother doing anything about. I would have expected Housekeeping to have discovered this and replaced the bulbs. There were no details of hotel facilities or times of breakfast in the room, nor were there any details of what to do in the event of a fire. The bathroom was large as was the bath but getting in and out was quite difficult due to its depth. I would have expected to have been provided with Toweling Robes being in one of the best rooms.

I was disappointed with the selection of beers provided in the small bar. Not a real ale in sight. Our friends had a pot of teal at 4.00 pm and their cups, tea pot, milk jug and tray were still on the table at 10.15 pm. This despite several members of staff walking through the Drawing Room in the direction of the kitchen. At 7.00 pm I went into the restaurant in search of some menus to find it empty. I took four menus and wine lists and returned to the Drawing Room expecting someone to come and either ask us if we wanted a drink or to take our orders. Neither of these happened despite the several staff members walking past us. At 7.15 pm we gave up and went into the Restaurant. Apart from a table of five the place was empty, so I could not see the problem with our original time. The food we received was delicious and served promptly and not rushed. Portions were adequate. The wine was just plonked on the table. The top remained unscrewed and I was not offered a taste. The waiting staff are obviously in need of some training. I was entertained during the meal by watching a very large spider crawl up and down a window. This was not too surprising as the window sill corners were dirty and had webs. Another Housekeeping issue. At Breakfast I order Scrambled Egg and Smoked Salmon served on Wholemeal Toast. The chef had forgotten to include the unless like the other toast I was expected to do this myself.. Apart from this the food here was also delicious apart from the Croissant which was rather heavy to say the least. At least the account was correct when I checked out. I would have expected some comment from the petite receptionist along the lines of was everything OK, have a safe journey or hope to see you again. Not a word was spoken. Another bit of staff training here would also not go amiss. I would have been very very disappointed but for the food. As it was I was just disappointed!

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main house.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us.
We appreciate the feedback that you have left and I’m happy to inform you that we are currently in the process of enhancing several of our bedrooms, including new interior design along with fixtures and fittings. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned today from a one night stay on a Groupon voucher. Room 27 was spacious, modern TV, clean bathroom and good size. Central heating did start 'banging' but we were packing to leave after breakfast so not really disturbed by it and it is not unexpected in such an old building. Good choice for breakfast, sliced ham was very lean and tasty. We could not fault any of the friendly and hard working staff (unlike previous reviewers, we can only speak as we find). We will certainly return at some time in the future.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very poor service from reception. Apathetic attitude to lift being out of order. Very long waits to get keys as staff engaged in booking tasks that were inappropriate at the main desk i.e. booking a wedding!
Extremely poor service at meals. Staff forget to serve my dessert, knocked a spoon out of my hand whilst serving at breakfast, did not serve soup properly. Totally disorganised to a point of chaos really and lengthy waits between courses. Was interested to read another comment about food running out as this happened during my stay too!
Appalled that credit card payment is held for five days before money is credited and not immediately reinstated, especially as I did not incur any charges! Watch they do not do this to you. This is not a four star hotel by any means. Extremely disappointed and it spoiled my weekend.

Room Tip: You could ask to see the room first and do check everything works first!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank solotripper2014
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I am very concern about the comments that have been made and would therefore like to you contact me directly so that I can investigate the matter further and then come back to you with a suitable response, my number is – 01332 842 999.

Kerry

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Everything was fine except breakfast which was £10 each and the worst breakfast ever!!!!! need to get their act together. Ran out of poor quality food and finished up having 1 sausage 1 tomato and a slice of toast- not good value for £10

Room Tip: no 12 was excellant
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter M
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

It is very difficult for me to investigate into your feedback as I have no dates for when you stayed. On that basis I assume we was offering a hot breakfast buffet, if items ran out they would have been replenished within five minutes and if our servers were aware of your dissatisfaction they would of happily provided a cooked breakfast directly from the kitchen. Reception could of also offered some kind of compensation if they were made aware at check out. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

On arrival the immediate sensation was of a grubby and musty building in severe need of total redecoration and a deep clean . The room (23) was no better and the common areas of the hotel were grubby in the extreme.
We took breakfast - a big mistake with both hot and cold options offering poor and expensive choices.
This hotel should be avoided at all costs - there must be better alternatives.

Room Tip: Find a better hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I do feel that the comments made are very harsh and do not represent the hotel at all. The hotels public areas are in keeping with the age of the hotel and are far from grubby. The public areas along with the guests bedrooms and serviced each day with deep cleaning happening each week. In regards the breakfast the items on offer are not of cheap quality, we service over a thousand breakfasts a month and guests are happy with both the produce and service. If you were unhappy with the bedroom allocated to you, reception would of happily offered another bedroom better suited to your needs. It is a shame that these issues were not bought to the attention of a duty manager as they could have resolved some of your issues or offered some kind of compensation for your dissatisfaction. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Kerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
The Lion Hotel
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!