“Perfect Venue for Our Wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Derby, United Kingdom
“Perfect Venue for Our Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We got married at Makeney Hall on 19th April - Easter Weekend. The staff did everything possible to make our marriage go with only a single hitch, Wedding planner Liz Fletcher and MC Paul deserve particular praise for the planning and the scheduling on the day respectively but we found all the staff very helpful. The food was superb for the wedding breakfast, the evening buffet, midnight Bacon cobs & the breakfast the following morning. The rooms are spacious and although maybe lacking a few amenities regular travellers may miss (a fridge, ironing board etc) they more than make up for it in rustic character with feature baths & a four poster in the bridal suite. We had a total of 40 guests staying the night at Makeney and although some of the rooms varied in size and facilities all who stayed enjoyed the food, atmosphere & service without a single complaint - Kerry and the staff had ensured all our guests travelling up on the day could check in early (to great credit and relief) as our wedding ceremony took place at 2pm (the usual check in time). In fact lots of our guests (120 in total) complemented our 'perfect' choice of venue.

All we can say is thank-you to all involved and if you are thinking of booking Makeney for your special day get in early as our wedding was one of four in consecutive days over the Easter period.

Mr & Mrs Nightingale

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phillip N
PurpleHazeDerby, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Kerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We visited this hotel for a weekend break. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We ate in their dining room on the Friday night, and what a treat that was, we both had salmon. The skin was beautifully seasoned and crisp, the sauce delicious and the Saute' pots and beans very hot. I then had Bakewell Tart (of course) with stewed cherries and clotted cream, my travelling companion had the chocolate mousse which were both delicious. The Pastry Chef must be an artist! We couldn't eat their on the Saturday as they had two weddings but managed to find time to get us a drink returned to the hotel.
While walking in the gardens we came across the gardener who, while working, told us that this house, now the hotel, used to belong to a man called Strutt who was a local Mill Owner and benefactor of the area etc. The gardener was very knowledgeable and interesting. Thanks to him and all the staff at the hotel.
Yes it could do with a bit of decorating and some new furniture, BUT the linen, bathroom and bedroom were spotlessly clean. It is also fairly near a lot of attractions, such as Chatsworth, Bakewell, Matlock, various Mills, The Tramway Museum etc. We had room 8 which overlooked the car park but we couldn't hear much noise from the weddings.

Room Tip: As above Room 8 overlooks the car park, but is quite quiet if wedding recetions are in progress
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KittyEliz
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My partner and I had booked a two night break at this hotel. They had informed us when we booked that as they had no double rooms, if we upgraded by paying an additional £30 we could have a superior room.
On arrival we were charmed by the atmosphere and the welcome by front of house staff.
. Our room was lovely, very clean, super sized bathroom, and we were pleased we'd paid the upgrade.
The following morning we arrived for breakfast 20 mins too early. '' No problem'' said a staff member, and off she went returning with tea and coffee and inviting us to help ourselves from the cold buffet.
The problem began on our return that evening to our room. The hotel is a wedding venue and it seemed our room was on top of the disco. The noise level was horrendous, I was close to tears and ready to pack and go home. My other half finally went at midnight to the night manager who on hearing about the problem knew exactly which room we were in.
The following morning the check out woman was not particularly sensitive to the problem and kept asking us what we wanted her to do about it.
We wrote to the manager and received a very nice apologetic email offering us another night in one of their suites. Unfortunately as we hadn't planned to return to the area, we aren't able to take her up on her kind offer.
So overall I would recommend the hotel, just be aware it is a popular wedding venue so avoid rooms 18 and 19 when you book!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 18 & 19 as these are over disco.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danae363
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at the Makeney Hall Hotel as we were attending a wedding reception there, and the only positive thing I can find to say about the whole experience was the staff (and there seemed to be very few of them) were pleasant. I upgraded to a 'feature room' and upon entering the room the first thing I was greeted with was a very badly stained divan base they hadn't even put a valance on to hide it. All I would say is that I I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane S
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us.
We appreciate the feedback that you have left and I’m happy to inform you that we are currently in the process of enhancing several of our bedrooms, including new beds and valance sheets. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Kerry

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I spent a weekend here and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Beautiful old manor house, tired in parts, cranky central heating although noisey made us both laugh. Regardless it was wonderful, quiet and romatic place to stay. The staff were excellent especially the head waiter in the restuarant who couldn't do enough to please. The food was excellent ie buffet breakfast and the dinner on the evening. We had a bathroom to dance in, an enormous bedroom and walk in wardrobe. the biggest bedroom we have ever had anywhere. We would definately return when in Derby way again. Thank you Makeney for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: This hotel is away from any roads and I don't think there would be much noise anywhere, that bei...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie H
Kerry R, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a night here for wifes birthday got key to room 19 a very spacious and tidy room the biggest I have stayed in very clean etc .Had a lovely meal in conservatory couldn't fault food or friendly staff .Breakfast also tasty not big bloating portions.Ok lift was broke and maybe some decor is dated but its an old Hall.We stayed on a Groupon deal we felt like we got treated as a normal paying customer and would definitely return .

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We returned to this hotel after having such a wonderful time in 2007. Unfortunately the saying "Never return to the same place" is true. We were disappointed from when we arrived to when we left. Nothing major, but enough to make us think twice before returning. The hotel is looking very tired and in urgent need of a makeover. When we checked in we asked for dinner for four at 7.00 pm to be told that we could have 7.30 pm. Due to medical constraints this was not possible so we were reluctantly given 7.00 pm. Our room (Room 20) was described as one of the Bridal Suites but apart from being extremely large had little else going for it. One of the bedside lights did not work so I changed the bulb for another in a table light. One of the bulbs in the chandelier was not working, which I did not bother doing anything about. I would have expected Housekeeping to have discovered this and replaced the bulbs. There were no details of hotel facilities or times of breakfast in the room, nor were there any details of what to do in the event of a fire. The bathroom was large as was the bath but getting in and out was quite difficult due to its depth. I would have expected to have been provided with Toweling Robes being in one of the best rooms.

I was disappointed with the selection of beers provided in the small bar. Not a real ale in sight. Our friends had a pot of teal at 4.00 pm and their cups, tea pot, milk jug and tray were still on the table at 10.15 pm. This despite several members of staff walking through the Drawing Room in the direction of the kitchen. At 7.00 pm I went into the restaurant in search of some menus to find it empty. I took four menus and wine lists and returned to the Drawing Room expecting someone to come and either ask us if we wanted a drink or to take our orders. Neither of these happened despite the several staff members walking past us. At 7.15 pm we gave up and went into the Restaurant. Apart from a table of five the place was empty, so I could not see the problem with our original time. The food we received was delicious and served promptly and not rushed. Portions were adequate. The wine was just plonked on the table. The top remained unscrewed and I was not offered a taste. The waiting staff are obviously in need of some training. I was entertained during the meal by watching a very large spider crawl up and down a window. This was not too surprising as the window sill corners were dirty and had webs. Another Housekeeping issue. At Breakfast I order Scrambled Egg and Smoked Salmon served on Wholemeal Toast. The chef had forgotten to include the unless like the other toast I was expected to do this myself.. Apart from this the food here was also delicious apart from the Croissant which was rather heavy to say the least. At least the account was correct when I checked out. I would have expected some comment from the petite receptionist along the lines of was everything OK, have a safe journey or hope to see you again. Not a word was spoken. Another bit of staff training here would also not go amiss. I would have been very very disappointed but for the food. As it was I was just disappointed!

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main house.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate the feedback that you have left and I’m happy to inform you that we are currently in the process of enhancing several of our bedrooms, including new interior design along with fixtures and fittings. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Kerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
The Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!