“Fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have just returned from a one night living social deal. I have been on a few deals like this to various hotels, and have enjoyed them on the basis that it's a cheap offer so don't expect too much.however, this last one as far as I am concerned cannot be faulted. At no stage were we treated any differently from other guests. We had the same menu for dinner, which was excellent as was breakfast. The service was slow ish but that isn't a criticism, it was nice not be rushed between courses and it was in keeping with the slow pace of the hotel and the area. Everything was cooked fresh. Yes the lift was broken, which I suppose, if anyone staying was disabled could have been a problem, not sure if there are ground floor rooms. I struggle with stairs a bit, but I just took my time! Rooms comfy, nice bathroom. Weather glorious so spent most of the time with a martini in the garden! I will def go back

1 Thank Patricia P
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Kerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

beautiful place to stay , had plenty of sunshine !!....classy rooms....castle like feel , I believe that is what it was prior to being converted into a hotel .very friendly staff and great service . would recommend it to anyone going there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Diya_pilani

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I read a lot of reviews about this hotel, it's very unfair to say anything other than it's good value for money! The staff are all very polite and try very hard to provide a good service. The hotel is clean and the food is very good.

If bookers are looking for a decent base to explore the local area, then this is the place to stay. My husband and I celebrated our 21 year wedding anniversary here, we loved every minute. It's not the Hilton, but it's middle England in a nut shell. Beautifully quaint and stunningly peaceful!

Anna.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Ciccare
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here over the weekend in May 2014 and enough to say we woul dnever go back.
Lift still not working 10/11 may 2014.

On the positive, the location was pleasent, room was sizable and the restaurant conservatve had nice views but the negatives far exceed the positives.
Our bed was too soft and probably the most uncomfortable night's sleep we have ever had as you were sleeping on the matress springs. The reception staff were polite but the bar staff were non existant. Twice i had to go looking for them for a drink, the second time they were in earshot and acted as if serving me was a massive inconvienience to their conversation.

Evening meal was a lovely steak but the trimmings were inedible as was my wife's meal.
We actually had to leave and eat off site. Breakfast was basic but edible.

This was a romantic weekend away for our aniversary. It was memorable, but for entirely the wrong reasons. Terrible and would never go again.

Room Tip: Choose a diferent hotel
3 Thank DirkC745
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while you was with us.
We appreciate the feedback that you have left and I’m happy to inform you that we are currently in the process of enhancing several of our bedrooms, including new beds which are now in place. I will address the points that you’ve made directly with the food and beverage team. Once again I am sorry that not all of your stay was perfect and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore some of the faith that has been lost.

Kerry

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

Stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here on Friday evening 9th May 2014 on a BBEM basis. The feeling you get when you arrive, meandering up the long drive to the hall entrance, is wow - this looks nice! Parking is right next to the hotel and offers plenty of parking spaces. As soon as you enter the hotel reception, it's evident that this place has character, but it rather depends on what you are looking for as to whether or not this place is for you.
We booked in and were advised that we were staying on the top floor, and that the lift was not working. I have to say that I wasn't over impressed by that fact, but as the top floor was actually only the 2nd floor, we went along with it. The bedroom door was opened by a key, indeed no fancy swipe cards in this place. The room was tired and in need of decorating, no debate there, but it was clean and a decent size, with Tea and Coffee making included.
Back on the ground floor, it's quite a small hotel with practically no guest facilities, but it is nicely laid out, with a peaceful drawing room in which you can relax and a stunning restaurant conservatory overlooking the nicely appointed garden. The hotel is old and it would be very easy to say that it is in need of some modernisation, but I'd say not too much as then that would compromise what the place is about.
The evening meals were OK and all the staff were very polite and pleasant. The drinks were a tad on the expensive side, we had what I would classify as an average bottle of Rioja, which cost just under £25. Breakfast was served in the conservatory, it was a nice cooked breakfast, but when they say bacon, they mean 1 rasher - so now you know!
On settling the account, you have to pay a £2 surcharge if you want to use a credit card, which for an hotel I found a little odd, but I guess they have to use all the tricks these days.
In Summary, if you can get yourself some kind of deal to stay here for one night then go for it. It's a lovely relaxing place and worth what we paid. If you do book though, ask if the lift is working before you go or better still request a ground floor room and then you've got it covered.
Hope this helps someone!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room as the lift may not be working.
2 Thank BladeS-O-T
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I had our Wedding Breakfast and Evening Reception here 4 weeks ago today! We managed to get the Conservatory which really is a stunning room.
The Wedding Package was by far the best we had come across and was fantastic value for money. Inclusions of chair covers, sashes, centre pieces, DJ and 6 rooms (inc. Bridal Suite) just meant that we didn't have to worry about all that!
The staff were helpful and special thanks go to MC Paul and Kat for their help on the day. They really couldn't do enough to make sure everything ran smoothly.
The food was beautiful and the option of the Hog Roast for the Evening really added something special.
We are considering returning in a years' time to celebrate our 1st Anniversary and to see how our tree is getting on!

Room Tip: We chose Room 20 for our Bridal Suite which looks over the Conservatory and grounds.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Makeney Hall for our wedding anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived with a lovely driveway and a warm welcome at reception. The receptionist said they had upgraded us free of charge due to our anniversary. Such a nice thought. We found the staff friendly and helpful. We would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Horsley Lodge
Horsley Lodge
#1 of 1 in Horsley

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!