“Excellent value with lovely views.”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Excellent value with lovely views.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have just spent two days at the Makeney Hall Hotel and were pleasantly surprised with both the location of the hotel, the size of our room and the quality of the bed. Despite hot weather our room was airy and we slept soundly. Sitting in the gardens with a cold beer in the early evening was a treat after viewing National Trust properties nearby. We booked the hotel through a voucher scheme (a gift from family) and will have to comment that value for money was really good. We would return. Some further investment needed and the hotel is missing a trick in terms of marketing (no menu evident to promote restaurant). Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was in the main house at the back (some road noise) but some rooms overlook the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
PurpleHazeDerby, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Kerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
west sussex
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we spent 5 days here as part of a package ,which looked lovely from the write up. we were very disappointed with the food,I had to sent one meal back ,and I am not a fussy eater. The roast beef was like shoe leather and as thick, I had to ask for a steak knife and still could not cut it. so all in all we were not very happy with the stay especially as we think that good food is part of a holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anglosaxons
Walsall
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I have to speak as I find and congratulate Makeney Hall Hotel on a wonderful experience on Friday 1st August for my Daughter's Wedding.
The staff were superb . The ladies who set up the conservatory worked hard to create a beautiful setting for the Wedding Breakfast. Thanks To Paul who was so helpful in ensuring all the bride and grooms wishes were carried out. Many thanks to Liz and her team for all the hard work. The reception staff were so helpful. The food was amazing and the guests commented that it was the best food at a Wedding they had ever eaten !
The bridal room was huge and allowed us all to have hair and beauty treatments on the morning of the Wedding .
A lovely Hotel full of character and fabulous staff . Thank you to all of you .

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Janelle59
PurpleHazeDerby, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2014

UK
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked a deal through super break and was pleasantly surprised following the mixed reviews on this site. Hotel is a nice manor house style hotel with nice gardens and ample parking. Staff on reception and waiting staff were very nice and friendly.

Room was a recently refurbished one that needed small things finishing! Room was clean with comfy bed but lacked a mirror other than the bathroom room, no hook on bathroom door and we were only given one cup to make tea/coffee with.

Communal areas could have done with a quick vacuum and clean. Wifi didn't work.

Only real problem was breakfast: fine on the first morning we were there but on the Sunday after two weddings the night before we were greeted with no hot food and it took quite some time to come out and when it did it was in dribs and drabs, and luke warm. Guy waiter was lovely though and did all he could to try and feed us starving guests!

Great pub up the road call the holly bush inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the suite where they do weddings it'll be noisy otherwise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank birdseye

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had booked in at the hotel for a management away day. As normal I had looked on Tripadvisor for reviews, and was a bit put off by previous comments.
Whilst the hotel has an 'Best Western' air to it, overall it proved to be excellent value for our needs, the staff were exceptionally helpful, no one had any complaints over the meeting rooms or their bedrooms, and the food was excellent. The excellent little pub 2 minutes up the road added to the stay. Overall we thought it provided good value for money and are likely to return another day, and this was from a group of managers who spend 1-3 nights away a week in hotels around the UK.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My second time here, we were at a wedding reception 6 years ago and it was good. Got a great deal through expedia.com £42 for a very decent room. Arrived about 2.30 pm. Had a guinness (very good) my wife had a coffee which she enjoyed. A very lively naming party was in progress with loads of (well behaved) kids. There was a very good 3 piece group playing quietly. All the doors were wide open being a lovely day. The grounds were in very good shape and my wife enjoyed a stroll before we had a very good afternoon tea in the (very small) bar. Met the friends whose wedding it had been and we went out to The Hanging Gate (about 2.5 miles away) for evening meal then back to hotel for beer and coffee before a very comfortable nights sleep. Breakfast was good. Reasonable value and we enjoyed our stay. Staff were very helpful when I left my phone charger and posted it back to me.

Room Tip: Try to get one looking over the garden.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Derby, England
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We attended last weekend for a wedding and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The vast majority of the staff were very friendly and helpful (only one member of reception staff was rude and about as useful as a chocolate teapot but hey, you can't have everything!). The food was great and our room was lovely. Our only complaint was the heat - our room was like an oven and if we hadn't brought our own fan we would have really struggled to get any sleep at all, particularly with a 3 month old baby in tow. Granted the hotel can't manage the weather though!

Room Tip: We were based above the car park and were worried about the
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NarleyHoolio

Kerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Horsley Lodge
Horsley Lodge
#1 of 1 in Horsley

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!