“Avoid Wedding Days”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were at the Hotel on the 12th and 13th Aug just like the person in the last report last report,On the 12th when the wedding was on,we was felt to be like outsiders not Hotel guests,we was completely ignored by the staff,when we tried to make enquires,we just got the cold shoulder treatment.The next day when it was more quiet,they was completely different,helpful and considerate.All I can say is ask before you book if a wedding will be going on,If so book a different day

1  Thank ManchesterGraham
There are newer reviews for Makeney Hall Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked a one-night DB&B here before I read the reviews. When I did see the volume of negative Trip Advisor reviews I began to regret my choice and wondered if I had made a huge mistake. I am pleased to say that I was not disappointed. I did hear from another guest that a new manager has recently been appointed. I cannot vouch for the veracity of that but if it is the case that may explain why things are no longer as described in previous reviews.

We had a room in the annex which has a bit of a motel feel to it but was very clean and comfortable and quiet. It has recently been refurbished and one or two silly mistakes have been made like not providing a mirror close to the poistion where the hairdrier is fixed, but that really is a minor matter which I'm sure can easily be fixed.

We had a lovely dinner, a sound night's sleep, and an good breakfast. The staff were all most attentive and helpful. What more can you you reasonably ask?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PurpleHazeDerby, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My Daughter had bought us a 2 night stay from Buy a Gift as a Christmas present and we booked this for the 9/10 and 11th July. On the Monday two days before ( 7th ) the hotel called us and cancelled our booking as the refurbishment on some of the rooms had not been completed in time. We were a bit annoyed at the short notice but they promised us that when we did come ( 11/12 and 13th August ) we would be upgraded to a suite , have a bottle of wine in our room and the £ 20 I had paid to upgrade to a feature room would be deducted from our dinner on the first night. We managed to rearrange our Chatsworth tickets and have just stayed at the hotel.
Now I am the first to say that when something is promised I am very wary that we would receive it and as I had nothing in writing I was a bit dubious to say the least.
I take it all back, as when we arrived we were given the Strutt Suite , asked our choice of wine and yes the £ 20 was off the bill at checkout.
The room yes was a little bit shabby in the lounge , no cushions on the sofa and a bit bare but it was clean and comfortable . The bath was lovely and deep and the bed was very soft, just how I like it. Dinner the first night was very good and tasty but I do not think they should not chage extra for vegetables as £ 18.00 1 course and £ 24.00 for two is expensive enough.The full breakfast both days had plenty of choice and we ate at 8.30 each morning and nothing has run out.Service was excellent too.Now when we got back on the second day I was dismayed to see a wedding going on as in past reports noise was an issue but after speaking to reception it was in the conservatory and we heard nothing even though our room overlooked the main door and car park. They said that they tried to accomodate guests who were not part of the wedding party as far away as possible and this they had done but if the wedding reception had been in the main function room it could have been more of a noise issue as our room was nearly over the top of this,.There was nothing from our stay that warantedall the critical remarks on this website and I wonder sometimes if some people are not happy unless they have something to moan about.Please eat if possible at the New Inn ( Angelos ) just down the road as this was one of the best Italian meals I have ever eaten but do book as it gets very busy but we were lucky as we got a table after 30 minutes , not a big deal.I did say it was a shame to Angelo that to come back we would have to drive 165 miles from Kent but that shows you just high highly we rated this place,We have travelled all over the world so we are frequent travellers and yes the decor could be improved in places but where it matters, food, cleanliness and service it was excellent.

1  Thank KentishmaidSevenoaks
PurpleHazeDerby, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2014

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed for a weekend in this beautiful late Victorian house with lovely grounds.The dining room overlooks the garden and is light and spacious. The house has a interesting past history. it could do with some attention to the fabric of the building and needs some updating but the rooms were spacious and clean and had all the amenities you could want. The food was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful. Very good value and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The extension has refurbished rooms but I prefer the character of the main house.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were a little put off by the negative comments but we have just had a lovely 2 day/night stay on a buyagift.com voucher. We upgraded our room and had No.18 which was huge,bathroom was spotless as were the sheets 2 huge ticks in box for us, it had a quiet look out over the back (there is a road but we didnt notice the noise) Huge LED style TV as well and superb pic. All the staff were lovely - the breakfast on both days was lovely you really cant complain there is everything there. Our first night was very very quiet,last night we heard more corridor noise but after 11 it went very quiet. The drinks we had were very reasonable. The menu was a tad steep for us at 3 courses (£30) and extras charged for veg etc, so we as most seem to do ate out locally.There are a few pubs locally which are ok.WIFI in the hotel was free and excellent signal,lift was working. One negative,yes some areas are a little tired but this did not spoil our stay, if you can get a voucher stay its a bargain!!

Room Tip: Our room No 18 was huge
1  Thank salopman

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a vintage Country House hotel straight out of the late 80's....but there's been very little investment since I'd imagine. I had the Bridal Suite, the best room in the house but it lacked warmth and modern amenities - no shower and having to kneel in the bath as the shower attachment dribbled out water. I'm sure it's not through want of effort by management and the staff were friendly and helpful. Wifi worked. Room service options were OK but sandwiches were served on white bread with a few crisps alongside-all a bit 'old-school hotel'. But I'm used to better quality and more modern facilities these days and it just doesn't deserve its star rating. I couldn't face going to breakfast as I'd had enough by then...I didn't want to wake up over my coffee to Basil, Manuel or Sybil!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Robsski
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a standard room in the annexe building. The bedroom had just one small window which looked out onto a car park, except we could hardly even see that as the view was obscured by a huge tree right by the window. The bed was very comfortable and there was an impressive large screen TV. There was also complimentary wi-fi. The bathroom was big but in need of updating. There was a bath (with cracked side panel) which had a hand-held shower fixed over it. Overall the room was just OK, but not what we expected for the price we paid (£119 per night plus £20 supplement for the Saturday).

We decided not to have an evening meal at the hotel, based mainly on some recent negative reviews. However breakfast on the Sunday morning was chaotic. We luckily arrived just in time to get the last available table, thereafter people were having to wait by the entrance for tables to become free. The continental breakfast table wasn't being monitored by staff and guests were repeatedly having to ask staff to refill empty milk or juice jugs. We had no juice glasses on our table, others had to ask for cups to drink their tea/coffee. The cereal bowls were tiny - I chose a packet of 2 Weetabix but could only fit one in at a time.

The choice of cereals and fruits etc was good but there were no rolls or pastries etc - only 2 croissants, which were not replenished once they had been taken. So 'continental' consisted of cereal/fruit plus toast (if you missed out on the croissants) and a few slices of meat.

I had wanted a good continental breakfast but given the display I opted for a full English. This was nice and well stocked and had 2 members of staff hovering around checking it was all stocked. Why couldn't one of them have looked after the continental section?

The staff appeared overrun by the number of guests as there had been a wedding the night before and many stayed overnight. However, as this is a wedding venue, surely they must be accustomed to this.

We looked forward to breakfast the next morning as we knew it would be much quieter, and indeed it was. However there were no croissants at all this time! If you wanted continental you had to make do with the sliced bread by the toaster to eat with your sliced meat and individually wrapped packets of cheese.

We stayed at the hotel on 9th & 10th August.

Overall a very disappointing experience.

2  Thank keston88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!