“Somewhere different”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Nantwich
“Somewhere different”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Nice hotel, with some pleasant walks in the area.

Hotel bar had a real ale (which I liked) and there's a superb pub just up the road.

We got a very good rate on our room, so thought it was excellent value for money.

Staff were helpful, we were in a group and one of them came out to help take a group photo.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Lincolnshire, England
Reviewed 19 August 2014

On arrival we went to the reception, first impressions were good, the Hotel is situated in lovely grounds, parking was good with two disabled parking spaces available.

At reception we were asked to pay a £50 deposit along with the £75 expected and known charge for 2 people for one nights B&B? On asking what it was for I was told a charge to cover possible expenses/breakages and this would be refunded at end of stay! I don't expect to be untrusted when I am arriving as a guest and it set a poor impression. I was asked if I wanted breakfasts, I had to inform it was inclusive in the booking and gave a copy of my late room booking form.

On a positive note I was asked if I wanted to use any wifi devices and was given two codes to access WIFI on my devices after I ascertained it was free (I had to ask)

We we're put in the courtyard annexe, normally I hate staying in an 'annexe' as it's usually poorer accommodation than the main hotel, though in this case it's rooms are arranged around a very pretty courtyard with a water feature in the middle.

On entering the room it initialy seemed bright and clean, however the windows were to say the least filthy, and one had the remnants of a 'clean...presumably me! written on one! More disturbing on opening a drawer, there were underwear garments presumably from the last occupant!

I informed reception and they did apologise and sent someone to collect the garments, again just shows a lack of attention to detail in preparing rooms for new guests.

Apart from a room menu, there was NO welcome information in the room at all, so we were unaware of the facilities or how to access them, very, very, poor. In the event I had to ask the time that breakfast was served. It's 7am till 9.30am if there is no information in your room!

Other points are the hair dryer is in a drawer but wired in so it cannot be removed, but the only mirror is in the bathroom. There were plenty of beverage drinks available in the room, the bathroom and bedding we're clean, no safe in the room, I don't know if there is one in the main hotel? Again part of the lack of information.

The bed was comfortable and in fairness we had a good nights sleep. On getting up in the morning the shower was stuck on scalding so unable to have a shower, which frankly isn't good enough, good job there was a bath!

Breakfast was in a pleasant room and though self service, staff were on hand if you needed anything extra. The quality of food was good and if it's indicative of the general catering, food should not be an issue.

On checking out I informed of faulty shower, met with 'I'm sorry about that!', I was then charged the room rate (£75 plus £3 for using a credit card). I asked about the £125 paid on card yesterday and was told that would be credited back on my card in a short time (presumably after checking our room, shame they didn't do that in first place.

In fact after checking my card records the £125 appears to not have been taken nor credited back to my account, so it appears that they simply retain the transaction of the £125 if needed? Still not good enough as not evident on booking and for the way it makes you feel as a 'guest'

Although we didn't have the best of experience, I wouldn't say its a bad hotel, it is in lovely grounds and the hotel itself is smart and as stated the quality of food was good. However the problems we experienced re clothes in room and broken shower and the lack of any welcome information is simply not good enough. This along with the 'deposit of £125 asked for on booking in, turned what should have been a good experience into a bad one.

The previous occupants clothes in the room and defective shower were reported to reception and in fairness did result in apology, but still left feeling resentful re these issues. We didn't report dirty windows (see picture) or lack of welcome information, as these are basic issues that should be evident on room inspection.

Room Tip: Personally although the courtyard isn't bad, I think a room in the main hotel would be better.
3 Thank clocksandwatches

Travellers are raving about these Belper hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

After reading bad reviews on this hotel I didn't know what we would find,but we were more than surprised and delighted when checking in.The pleasant receptionist told us that we had been allocated one of their newly refurbished courtyard rooms.The rooms were really tastefully furnished with all new furniture ,carpets,beds and bedding, and a lovely bathroom.The rooms were very quiet and comfortable.We didn't eat at the hotel as it was quite expensive,so cannot comment on the food.This was a present from our son and his family and the hotel made a good central base for exploring Derbyshire.We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a newly refurbished room in the court yard
1 Thank pmagpeterborough
PurpleHazeDerby, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

MANCHESTER
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were at the Hotel on the 12th and 13th Aug just like the person in the last report last report,On the 12th when the wedding was on,we was felt to be like outsiders not Hotel guests,we was completely ignored by the staff,when we tried to make enquires,we just got the cold shoulder treatment.The next day when it was more quiet,they was completely different,helpful and considerate.All I can say is ask before you book if a wedding will be going on,If so book a different day

1 Thank ManchesterGraham
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked a one-night DB&B here before I read the reviews. When I did see the volume of negative Trip Advisor reviews I began to regret my choice and wondered if I had made a huge mistake. I am pleased to say that I was not disappointed. I did hear from another guest that a new manager has recently been appointed. I cannot vouch for the veracity of that but if it is the case that may explain why things are no longer as described in previous reviews.

We had a room in the annex which has a bit of a motel feel to it but was very clean and comfortable and quiet. It has recently been refurbished and one or two silly mistakes have been made like not providing a mirror close to the poistion where the hairdrier is fixed, but that really is a minor matter which I'm sure can easily be fixed.

We had a lovely dinner, a sound night's sleep, and an good breakfast. The staff were all most attentive and helpful. What more can you you reasonably ask?

Sevenoaks
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My Daughter had bought us a 2 night stay from Buy a Gift as a Christmas present and we booked this for the 9/10 and 11th July. On the Monday two days before ( 7th ) the hotel called us and cancelled our booking as the refurbishment on some of the rooms had not been completed in time. We were a bit annoyed at the short notice but they promised us that when we did come ( 11/12 and 13th August ) we would be upgraded to a suite , have a bottle of wine in our room and the £ 20 I had paid to upgrade to a feature room would be deducted from our dinner on the first night. We managed to rearrange our Chatsworth tickets and have just stayed at the hotel.
Now I am the first to say that when something is promised I am very wary that we would receive it and as I had nothing in writing I was a bit dubious to say the least.
I take it all back, as when we arrived we were given the Strutt Suite , asked our choice of wine and yes the £ 20 was off the bill at checkout.
The room yes was a little bit shabby in the lounge , no cushions on the sofa and a bit bare but it was clean and comfortable . The bath was lovely and deep and the bed was very soft, just how I like it. Dinner the first night was very good and tasty but I do not think they should not chage extra for vegetables as £ 18.00 1 course and £ 24.00 for two is expensive enough.The full breakfast both days had plenty of choice and we ate at 8.30 each morning and nothing has run out.Service was excellent too.Now when we got back on the second day I was dismayed to see a wedding going on as in past reports noise was an issue but after speaking to reception it was in the conservatory and we heard nothing even though our room overlooked the main door and car park. They said that they tried to accomodate guests who were not part of the wedding party as far away as possible and this they had done but if the wedding reception had been in the main function room it could have been more of a noise issue as our room was nearly over the top of this,.There was nothing from our stay that warantedall the critical remarks on this website and I wonder sometimes if some people are not happy unless they have something to moan about.Please eat if possible at the New Inn ( Angelos ) just down the road as this was one of the best Italian meals I have ever eaten but do book as it gets very busy but we were lucky as we got a table after 30 minutes , not a big deal.I did say it was a shame to Angelo that to come back we would have to drive 165 miles from Kent but that shows you just high highly we rated this place,We have travelled all over the world so we are frequent travellers and yes the decor could be improved in places but where it matters, food, cleanliness and service it was excellent.

1 Thank KentishmaidSevenoaks
PurpleHazeDerby, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2014

West Midlands
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed for a weekend in this beautiful late Victorian house with lovely grounds.The dining room overlooks the garden and is light and spacious. The house has a interesting past history. it could do with some attention to the fabric of the building and needs some updating but the rooms were spacious and clean and had all the amenities you could want. The food was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful. Very good value and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The extension has refurbished rooms but I prefer the character of the main house.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Kerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
The Lion Hotel
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!