1,170 results
All reviewsdrawing roombridal suitemain buildingexecutive roomthe holly bush innevening mealafternoon teaconservatory restauranttwo night stayroom was largederbyshire countrysidefood was lovelylovely settinglovely old buildingwedding venueboth morningsself service
Reviewed 30 May 2007

Do not trust this place!

I booked a week in advance of my stay and had to cancel the following day at the same time I re-booked giving 3 weeks notice.

Few days later a charge was taken from my credit card for the cancellation which they refused to refund even though I had made a further booking.

Do not use this hotel for anything they are simply thieves.

• Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank WestYorkshireJ555
Reviewed 25 April 2007

My girlfriend and I booked this hotel for 2 nights as we were going to Alton Towers. We paid £126 for both nights including breakfast and morning paper, this was booked online the day before arrival.

When we arrived (Make sure your handbrake is up fully, car park is on a hill) the hotel staff was extremely friendly and had our confirmation ready. They asked us if we would like a table booked in the restaurant for dinner, if we would like a morning paper and if so which one also if we would like a wake up call. (Handy as we were getting up early for the theme park)

Paper was at the door as we left for breakfast. The breakfast in the restaurant was excellent.
My girlfriend had the continental which there was plenty to choose from including all usual morning juices. The waitress was really happy and friendly, asked us if we would like any tea/coffee and gave me the menu to make a selection from the full English. This was spot on! Cumberland sausages, bacon and beans went down a treat. There was everything else you can think of on offer.
Directions to Alton Towers was printed of for us at reception.

The hotel has beautiful grounds which overlook the stunning views of the countryside; they have recently undergone a big refurbishment in the main building. Set in a little village called Belper next to Duffield.
Duffield has a great fish and chip shop which sells Chinese food too (Restaurant in hotel is quite pricey) no other restaurants about really although we did see one place nearby which looked quite nice but we were too late to place a food order.

I saw in the facilities Cocktail bar and thought what a wonderful way to relax in the evening - Well we walked in the so called area where there was a little bar and about 3 tables and 6 chairs. Did not see the cocktail menu so I asked the bar man if I could see the menu. Brilliant reply " We don’t do cocktails, we just call the bar that! Funny really because I get asked that all the time!" Hmmm I wonder why! Think that is a bit of a con to get you to the bar where the prices are fairly high. Lucky there is an off license in the near town to get some drinks for your room.

We stayed in the courtyard side of the hotel. I believe this to be the side which had not had the refurbishment but it was still in good condition. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was what is expected of a 4 star although when the taps were turned on there was a slight unpleasant smell what could only be described as sewage, but this was not unbearable. It might have just been our TV but in the evening if you had the volume slightly above medium the sound became distorted.

On check out we were charged 70p for the papers but hey the breakfast was worth it.

Overall the hotel was excellent value for us as we only paid £126 for the 2 nights. I have stayed in some of the top hotels world wide and as a fair comment I would say this is a decent 4 star accommodation with friendly and very polite staff. Food was excellent although the dinner seemed pricey and we didn’t eat it I assume it would have been good.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank tophoteladvisor
Reviewed 3 April 2007

We booked this hotel for a special weekend treat for my mother in laws 70th birthday and we were not dissapointed. The hotel was spotless clean and the staff were very polite friendly and helpful.
There was a wedding on the Saturday but it only added to the atmosphere of the hotel and in no way did we feel it intruded on our weekend or vice versa. My mother in laws room was the chinese suite in the main house and was fabulous, our room was in the ajoining courtyard which was excellent but one word of warning the walls are really thin and we could actually hear next doors kettle boiling.
All in all this was a fabulous hotel with exceptionally pleasant hard working staff who made us feel very welcome and we would have no hesitation in recommending it, we hope to return for another weekend soon.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank hobnobsryummy
Reviewed 25 February 2007

My wife and I stayed here in late Feb to getaway for the weekend and to find a relaxed hideaway so she could finish writing her thesis. And this place delivered on all levels.

The superior room we'd booked, with a super view out to the village and fields below, was huge and felt more like an apartment than a room. The interiors have charm without being tacky and the Hall itself is a beautiful old building - you really feel like you've stepped back in time.

Having said that, this place has all the mod cons including BTopenzone wifi which came in handy for us. You do have to pay a little extra for this however.

The food in the conservatory style restaurant was very very good (not extraodinary by any means) and we did have to ask for water a couple of times. Otherwise the service was spot on. There was a wedding on here whilst we stayed (which we thought might effect the service we got) but you'd never have known.

We'd stay here again in a flash.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank JayneAndD
Reviewed 11 January 2007

Stayed for a night in the courtyard area of the hotel rooms had not been refurbed there and were a little tired looking but spotlessly clean with modern soft furnishings. Breakfast was really good with a wide variety of fresh fruit cereals and pastries. Full English was great freshly cooked and piping hot with spectacular views over the Amber Valley. Staff were friendly.

If you're going ask for one of the rooms in the main hotel building which has just had a million quid refurb and you'll enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business