“The Best View in the Village”
Review of The Hill Top Inn - CLOSED

The Hill Top Inn
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed locally (a mere 5 minute walk away) from this little gem. This pub has the most fantastic views and even on wetter days the Happy Hour between 5-6pm on Tuesday to Friday makes it worth the walk. The landlord was most accommodating for food for us on our first night and our subsequent visits to have a drink.

1  Thank NickNock1975

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have previously reviewed a pub in Belper and was accused of having too high standard for "pub eating" because I didn't like the fact the tables were bare and when the condiments were brought out they were in cheap plastic bottles and baskets. I was also accused of sharing my "expert" opinion. I like eating out and I go to pubs much more frequently than restaurants and like to think I rate them on the particular experience each individual place offers.
The hill top has previously had a bad name, however please don't let that put you off, there are new people in and they offer a marvellous atmosphere, friendly, warm and inviting as we'll as excellent value for money food. We have eaten here four times in the past few weeks, and the food has been excellent. Pub food, nothing ever so exciting but what they do bring out is tasty, hot and fresh. We generally go on a Friday night and the bill is generally around twenty pounds per head for two courses with a drink. This week however, we went to try the midweek carvers and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food for the price. We had two starters ( that came with proper bread - take note fishermans rest!) the soup was lovely and as per usual my prawn salad was cold, fresh and tasty.
We then had the carvers. Pork or lamb on offer, we both chose lamb and it was delicious. Plenty of meat and you helped yourself to everything else including yorkshires and roast potatoes. Excellent value we paid seven pounds each for two courses, couldn't manage three courses for nine pounds!
The tables were all set with nice cutlery, and a centrepiece (again, take note fishermans rest).
On top of the good food, good value you can enjoy the stunning terrace views and the friendly staff. You can tell a lot is still new to some staff but the service does not suffer and according to husband "it's a nice pint"
My opinion is by no means expert, but I like to help local business to thrive by passing on good comments when they are deserved.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The food wasn't great - just average but the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful to a lone diner - great views over the valley - worth a try.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have started taking visitors to the Hill Top Inn. The views are stunning, the staff are so friendly and obliging, and the food is pretty good too. The beer too is very great. Its just a gem of a place.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

From the start I have to say this is not our usual place to eat. We called for lunch after visiting friends in Belper ,they had heard how good this place has become ,and looking at past reviews it's certainly had a terrible name. The views from here a fantastic ,which is a good start ,we were greeted very warmly by the barman ,drinks orders taken and shown to the table,very basic ,but clean table's and cutlery . The soup was hot and very tasty , The main course , there was a choice of three meat's ,with the usual vegitables, I have to say the meat's were very well cooked and not at all dry,( my only negative comment would be that some of the vegitables were a little on the cool side so these soon became cold before the meal was finished ,but this is my opinion ). A sweet is available ,but after the starter and main we decided to not go with this . In conclusion ,the place was a suprise to us ,very friendly people ,food quite good . Would we go again ?? Yes if we were in the area ..THANK YOU