“Handy for airport, above average Express”

Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
England
“Handy for airport, above average Express”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

An impressive holiday inn express, no different from some Holiday Inn's I've stayed in. Friendly service and food in restaurant was OK, and a welcome convenience when you need an early night for the first flight. The food was served incredibly fast. The free breakfast was a nice touch. Recommend this hotel for a quick stay before a flight as a budget price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

If I'm honest, my expectations of a budget hotel near a airport were low.

Therefore I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service provided. The staff were courteous and professional. As soon as I entered I was greeted by Darren, he greeted me and my sister, explained the facilities etc.

We went to our room, all clean, tidy and immaculate. A little bit of tv and free wifi we went down to dinner.

Dinner was not as impressive as the service and the room. My chicken was cold however Patryk rectified this issue and provided great service. He was assisted by a lady at the bar with glasses and a guy with blonde hair, equally great.

In summary, excellent service and lovely room!

• Stayed August 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here due to an early flight the morning after from East Midlands Airport, hotel is literally 2 minutes from airport. Staff were very helpful and friendly on check in, rooms clean and modern with air con. Breakfast was very good. Can't fault the hotel whatsoever especially considering the price of £40

Room Tip: One side of the hotel has brilliant views of the airport runway, don't know whether this is east...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jon-John-89
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were greeted by very friendly smiley staff and helped with any queries we had..
The room was great !
The kids first time in a hotel and they loved it, and they loved the breakfast! Highly recommended!
Will definatly go again ..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is my second review on the same Hotel and I felt I should do so, as a lot of issues addressed in my previous review seem to have improved. In my opinion it remains average but it was very promising to see positive changes.

The staff were very courteous and polite. I liked the freshness and cleanliness of all spaces and the seemingly new carpet. Not to mention the quietness, although next to the airport.

I still did not like the fact that the shower drainage remains inefficient.

Breakfast ok, at least the continental, which I did try (normally I don't). The free internet is adequate for checking emails, but not for streaming movies or other heavy use. I tried Skype and it was difficult to hold a decent discussion over the line. One has to be careful when logging in; although free, if not careful, you may end up paying dearly for an hour's or day's use.

I didn't have dinner at the hotel after having read many negative reviews on that department.

The £4.00 daily parking fee put me off a bit. Visitors who are on business or overnight visit before boarding flights should not have to pay unless they are on a park and go deal. In addition, the tarrif does seem to change for particular days, possible when airport traffic is denser; I find some of the rates highly excessive for what the hotel has to offer.

I would probably return again, though I would make sure I have either booked in advance or at least hit the competitive season rates.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HIEMA_Deputy, Manager at Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear moslit,

Many thanks for taking the time to once again review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport.

I am delighted that you noticed improvements since your previous stay. We are constantly trying to improve the guest experience and continue to do so. All comments provided from tripadvisor are taken into account and all areas addressed.

I'm glad to hear that you would return again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kieron Roe
Deputy General Manager
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here 29th July 2014 we were flying out from EMA the next day. The hotel is very clean but I wanted to warn future guests about the bathroom door. This acts as a door to both the WC and shower. If you open the door quickly from the inside whilst exiting its easy to trap your hand between the door and frame to the WC. Both my wife and myself hurt ourselves.
The breakfast was a freebie and was ok apart from the fact there was no bacon and the vessels containing the hot food were hard to fully open. You have to be at least 5'6 to be able to push the lid all the way back. We witnessed staff struggling with this. The croissants were rock hard. Otherwise all was ok.
We didn't want to leave until 1200 noon but the power to the room went out at 1120 so we decided to leave early. I mentioned this at reception and three members of staff just looked at me with a 'so what' attitude. At least they forgot to charge the extortionate £4 for the privilege of parking outside the hotel overnight.
The Jet parks plus car park was full when we arrived so we got upgraded to Long Stay One which was a great bonus.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear hellofafungi,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport.
I'm very happy to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and that apart from a couple of issues, you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will instruct our maintenance department to double check that all doors are functioning correctly to try and ensure that there are no future accidents like the one you experienced,
I will also ensure that any issues with breakfast equipment not functioning correctly are addressed immediately.
I apologise for the 'rock hard' croissants and assure you I will look into this personally to ensure these are being cooked correctly.
There is no explanation as to why your electricity cut off at 11.20, but I assure you, this is not normal and I will ensure this is looked into.
Regarding the car parking charge, this is charged automatically to everybody's bill so I can only assume this was removed as a gesture of goodwill for the issues experienced during your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kieron Roe
Deputy General Manager
brecon
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Expected the bog standard low price airport hotel but were pleasantly surprised.
Check-in was efficient and friendly. Entrance area comfortable and welcoming. Room excellent of its type. Bar prices reasonable. Free, good, breakfast. Good location. Highly recommended if you are flying out of East Midlands Airport. We did a 'parking deal' which all went smoothly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Donington Manor Hotel
Donington Manor Hotel
#7 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!