“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport

Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night including 14 days on site parking and paid £120 when booked through holiday extras as a mystery 4 star hotel. Ended up with a junior suite for this price including airport transfers. Hotel was excellent, the concierge picked us up within 5 minutes of calling from the courtesy phone at the airport and dropped us directly by our car in the on site car park. Very impressed and would recommend. It would have cost approx £75 for parking alone at the airport so if you have an early flight definitely worth while

Stayed July 2014
Debbie E, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Hello Lutterworthcooper,

Thank you for awarding us 5 stars.

We're very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the Shuttle bus facility was efficient and easy to use.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Was on business in the area, booked into the Hotel as business was nearby the airport. Car Park was spacious, reception area well set out. Rooms were fabulous great space to move around within but having the capability to watch tv from the shower well who needs a tv in the bathroom not here.

Well priced ultra comfy beds never had such a good nights sleep in a hotel, Breakfast was well worth a visit ultra friendly staff. Eben managed a late night drink in the bar staff could not be more helpful.

Highly recommended hotel

Room Tip: Check you can watch tv from the bathroom
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
      Location
1 Thank maverick276
Debbie E, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hello Maverick276

Thank you for posting a response and awarding us 5 stars.

It’s always great to hear when our guests like the special features in the bedrooms.

Best wishes

Trstenik, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here on business mid-week. I've stayed here before and been very impressed with many aspects of the hotel, to the degree that it was my default choice when needing to book a hotel in the area.

The hotel has plenty of onsite parking and it costs £5/night for guests. There are various park'n'fly options available for those wanting to leave their car here and there appears to be a shuttle service to/from the airport that is very close by (as the picture hopefully shows).

Check-in was efficient and professional, with Patricia (apologies if I've got your name wrong) recognising me from my previous stay (did I cause that much trouble last time?!). The hotel was completely full so the usual complimentary room upgrade I enjoy as a Concierge level member of Carlson Rezidor's loyalty program wasn't possible. However, I'm fairly certain that they had allocated me one of the best available Business Class rooms, as I ended with one at the end of the corridor, so it was in effect a corner room and had a fantastic view directly toward the airport. The view was great - I had no idea that EMA was so busy - and there was no intrusive noise from the planes taking off & landing. I even got to see a Condor (or Antonov AN124) landing which is a bit of an event.

The room was very spacious and certainly felt larger than the quoted 28m2 on the website. It had plenty of storage & hanging space, a good-sized bed, table & armchairs and a decent-sized work desk and lamp. Next to that was a unit containing the mini-bar, tea & coffee facilities and a Nespresso machine. There was also a rather clever narrow but full length mirror that folded out of the side of this unit, ideal for getting dressed in and without having to walk across to the main mirror opposite the bathroom exit. For those getting dressed into work clothes, it was a clever touch.

The bed was the usual Radisson standard; soft but not too soft and certainly conducive to a very restful night's sleep.

The climate control unit was effective and able to both warm and cool the room quickly and without too much intrusive noise.

There was a decent-sized (I'm guessing at least 32") flat screen TV on the wall opposite the bed, which had a very good quality picture and a selection of - but not all - Freeview channels. The TV wasn't that interactive and the EPG was next to useless. Compared to other Radisson Blu properties - I'm thinking here of the exceptionally good interactive features and easy EPG on the LG TVs at Radisson Blu Stansted - the TV here was a little lacking. Having said that, I know in the suites that the TV emerges from the base of the bed like something out of Tracey Island, which was enough to amuse me for hours.

It was good to see UK and international sockets on the corner of the work desk, ideal for those travelling into the UK from abroad who don't have enough/any UK travel adapters.

The bathroom was relatively spacious with a shower over the bath. The half-length shower door was a very effective fit, meaning that no water leaked out onto the bathroom floor. One of my bête noires is getting out of the bath after a shower and stepping into a small inland sea, where the water from the shower has ended up mostly on the floor.

The water temperature was good but the water pressure from the rain shower head and the hand-held head was a little disappointing; the rain shower was more light precipitation and the hand-held head suffered from the age old problem of the cable coming away from the head, resulting in the water dripping out at that point and the loss of pressure through the head when you pulled the cable taut. I've stayed in other higher grade rooms in the hotel (the Jensen, Hamilton and Presidential suites) all of which have had much more effective shower heads (granted in standalone walk-in shower cubicles) and so one would expect to see the same effective shower heads across all grades of room.

There were plenty of clean, fluffy towels with the second set of towels being housed in the wardrobe opposite the bathroom, in a clever nod to sustainability: there were enough towels for two but if you were in the room on your own, as I was, there wasn't the temptation to use all the towels simply because they were all hanging in the bathroom.

Sustainability is one of this hotel's party pieces. It has some of the highest sustainability credentials for any Carlson Rezidor property in general and Radisson Blu portfolio property in particular, in which I've stayed. I've highlighted this in previous reviews on here and if you're interested, read those earlier ones. To reiterate the key issues;

- the room's lights are all low energy and/or LED. These include the combination bedside lamp/flexible reading light units either side of the bed.
- the corridors have motion sensors that turn on the lights ahead of you as walk along the corridor and then turn them off when the corridor is empty.
- the language used is sustainability2.0 and not 1.0.
- the hotel's restaurant (Runway - reviewed separately on here) seeks to maximise the use of both local and/or seasonal produce.

I had dinner in Runway and have reviewed it separately. One point I would add that I omitted to include in that review was that the bill was presented to me without the automatic addition of a discretionary service charge; something that is itself a paradox. It was very refreshing to see this in a modern hotel as it is becoming the norm, as inertia means most diners won't remove it. My personal view is always to remove and then give the server the same amount in cash, so that it goes into the tronc and isn't used to subsidise the hotel's wage bill. It's even worse when you are presented with a bill that not only a discretionary service charge added but also has a Gratuity or Tip section with an open box next to it. Hmmm. Anyway, Runway has neither and should be commended for this.

I had breakfast the following morning and was again impressed by the range of items on offer as well as the service. There is an omelette station where you can have an omelette cooked to order with your choice of ingredients (in fact they will cook eggs to order as well). Despite it being relatively busy, the charming lady doing the cooking offered to deliver the omelette to my table that was much appreciated and was a nice touch.

The breakfast was certainly up to the Super Breakfast Buffet standards and the availability of jars of Marmite, peanut butter and Nutella is fantastic. It no doubt goes down well with those travelling with children although a warm croissant with Nutella on it is appealing to guests of all ages!

On the downside:

- The selection of Nespresso capsules was almost right but for some reason the standard 2x3 flavours had ended up as 3+2+1 of flavours. Hardly anything to write home about but the presentation of the same mixture of capsules across the portfolio is for me a mark of consistency that shows uniformity.
- Whilst it was good to see Nespresso-sized cups next to the machine, as well as normal-sized coffee mugs (because the latter a) don't fit under the nozzle and b) give you no benchmark for how coffee to dispense), there was only 1 and not 2 of them. A little reminder to housekeeping that the little things are important.
-The bathroom looks into the bedroom area with glass panels either side of the splashback mirror. Whilst the toilet itself in the bathroom is separate with its own door, there is still a lack of privacy when you are in the bathroom as you see into the bedroom and vice versa. It could easily be solved with a curtain that can be pulled across.

These downside points are very minor and hardly likely to be noticed by most people but I believe feedback should be comprehensive and honest. Also, it is the attention to detail that can differentiate a hotel from its competition when their overall levels are guest service are similar.

Talking of that, the levels here are very high. All the staff I met were very efficient and polite, perhaps slightly too professional to the point of appearing slightly detached and impersonal. It may well be that I haven't stayed here enough times and that I am comparing the staff to other properties (notably Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow, where all the staff are superb) where I know the staff better. This is perhaps the only observation I can make that could in any way be construed as constructive criticism: the hotel doesn't yet have a 'feel' to it. It can come across as a bit impersonal and that risks being misinterpreted by some guests as disinterested.

It is something I have experienced at airport hotels in the past (Radisson Blu Gardermoen in Norway was one example), where the airport has such a captive market that it doesn't have to try that extra amount or go that extra bit in terms of delivery customer service excellence. It shouldn't be the case as the Radisson 'Yes I Can!' ethos is about doing just that. In contrast, Park Inn Gardermoen at the other end of the airport couldn't do enough for me and it had a lovely feeling of familiarity to it.

I accept that the proximity of the hotel to the airport means that holidaymakers and business conferences are not going to be in short supply. However, complacency is never good and having elevated itself to a very high ranking on Tripadvisor - a ranking that it thoroughly deserves - it should be focusing upon establishing its own distinct identity. It is a relatively new property, having only been open for a couple of years and maybe it has yet to establish its own feel.

My observation is perhaps a little skewed because of my Concierge level membership: the good news is that when I stay in Carlson Rezidor properties I actively look for things with which to find fault, as my expectations are very high. At Radisson Blu East Midlands, my expectations were only again exceeded and the only points I could make are those listed above (which are hardly earth-shattering).

The rooms here are modern and well-equipped, the facilities are excellent (including a lovely little pool - if you stay here, don't forget to bring your swimming costume) and the value for money is superb: I paid £129 for a Business Class room that represented excellent value for money.

What felt lacking was an awareness of and ability to respond to Concierge members, not helped by the relevant discount not being available in Runway on a technicality over its opening hours. If Daniel the GM is reading this, have a word with Paul your counterpart at Heathrow - I don't want to steal his thunder but what he is doing with his FOM in terms of recognising specific types of guests is very clever and adds to the guest experience.

Overall, this is a very high quality that offers a consistent, reliable and enjoyable service. Next time I am in the area, I once again won't even bother to consider any other hotels in favour of booking here automatically.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hello Propaganda_Machine

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review which has provided us with much ‘food for thought’.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that we continue to offer reliable and consistent service. We note your constructive observations and these have already been discussed with the relevant teams.

Regarding the glass panels in the bathrooms, many of our guests appreciate the availability of natural daylight, however, we do have a number of bathrooms which have frosted glass, and we would be happy to accommodate you on your next visit.

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write such a positive and enlightening review.

Hexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were flying from East Midlands airport for a fortnight's holiday and needed an overnight stay and parking for the period we were away. Radisson Blu proved to be ideal. The hotel is clean, modern and nicely decorated. The hotel provided free transfers to and from the airport. All staff were very helpful. I couldn't fault the service that was provided. As and when I am in this area again I would have no hesitation in using this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Hello Hipsway2013

Thank you for your recent review.

It's great to hear that the hotel was ideal for a night's stay prior to your departure.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had been to this hotel before for a meeting and loved it. Though I only stayed for lunch I was impressed. My bf took me for a night as he remembered I commented how great it was. This is a very big hotel, but the service is top notch, and more like service you would expect in a smaller hotel that has time to pay attention to detail. The room was ace, it was quite masculine but I liked that. The design was super modern, I loved the glass dividing wall from bathroom to bedroom. The room was ULTRA clean, I'm very OCD when it comes to cleanliness, and I checked every nook and cranny and it was spotless. The chrome fittings were polished until they reflected. There was a real duvet on the bed rather than 10 million sheets and a scratchy blanket. When we got a bit chilly we turned the heating on, it worked and the room was toasty! Bed was huuuuuuuge and so comfy. We had food in the evening and breakfast. Food was great, as was service. We will be returning ASAP!

Room Tip: We had a room with a bathroom not a walk in shower. But it still had a shower in it anyway. We were...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChristinaSac
Debbie E, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear ChristinaSac

We are delighted that every aspect of your stay was to your liking.

Guest satisfaction is an integral part of the overall service standard we strive to offer, and we are delighted we did not disappoint.

All feedback is very important and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a response.

Best wishes

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I've stayed here once and would come back if I need to stay in the area. As it's a new hotel, everything was nice, the rooms were super and swimming pool ideal (15m). No noise from the airport. Breakfast was pleasant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Gords Guinness

Hearing that a guest would return to the Hotel is the ultimate endorsement and we would like to thank you very much for this.

Mauchline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed one night at the Radisson Blu Castle Donington on business trip. Upgraded my room and had a kingsize bed, excellent comfort. Ate in the restaurant and it was a varied menu and I had a lovely meal. The service in the reception, bar and restaurant was excellent. The restaurant manager was so efficient and Ola was our server. She was so friendly and mannerly.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I upgraded the room to a kingsize and it was very comfortable with excellent décor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hello EvelynK

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such great comments.

Is it reassuring to hear you received excellent customer service in all area of the hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 8 in Castle Donington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#3 of 8 in Castle Donington
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Premier Inn East Midlands Airport Hotel
Premier Inn East Midlands Airpor...
#5 of 8 in Castle Donington
The Priest House by the River
The Priest House by the River
#4 of 8 in Castle Donington

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!