“Brilliant stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We booked this hotel for the night before our holiday, car parking and the night we arrived back to England (which was VERY silly o'clock!!! The hotel was superb in every aspect - car stayed on sight (big relief), evening meal was lovely, transfer to airport very easy and included hot drink and snack while we waited 5 mins for the transport. When we landed back in the UK, we phoned the hotel using the courtesy phone and within 5 mins the transport had arrived. Our room was ready and waiting and our stay was ended with a lovely full English buffet breakfast. The hotel was very quiet and you had to keep reminding yourself it was at the end of a very busy runway- aircraft noise was at a minimum and unobtrusive. Thank you Radisson Blu - a job very well done with extremely polite and helpful staff on hand.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TillyTwo2
Daniel K, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi Yvonne

Thank you so much for the 5 star review, we really appreciate it and were delighted to learn our Park and Fly package worked so well for you.

Daniel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

A great hotel. Nice rooms (we had a junior suite with 15 days parking included - £159). Had excellent room service and the bar area is nice and quiet. The shuttle bus runs frequently or on request. On arrival back at the airport, there is a courtesy phone in arrivals for the hotel - they advised us to go to arrow cars to get a minibus back to the hotel, which was waiting for us.
Great stay, good service and in my opinion a far better place than the Thistle or the Hilton, which according to many opinions is nowhere near as nice as it used to be.

Room Tip: Junior suite if you can get one - nice!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael M
Daniel K, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi Mykey

Thanks for the great 5 star review, I'm really pleased that our Park and Fly package worked so well for you and you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay.

There were a few minor mistakes: Expedia didn't tell them we wanted a twin room and the shower was playing up. Other than that, it was very good.

The hotel staff were excellent, from reception to the cleaners: In particular our waiter Tom was very affable and professional.

A lovely break. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Andy

Thanks for the great review and your kind comments about our team, especially Tom. I'll be sure to thank him on your behalf.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night including 14 days on site parking and paid £120 when booked through holiday extras as a mystery 4 star hotel. Ended up with a junior suite for this price including airport transfers. Hotel was excellent, the concierge picked us up within 5 minutes of calling from the courtesy phone at the airport and dropped us directly by our car in the on site car park. Very impressed and would recommend. It would have cost approx £75 for parking alone at the airport so if you have an early flight definitely worth while

Stayed: July 2014
Debbie E, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Hello Lutterworthcooper,

Thank you for awarding us 5 stars.

We're very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the Shuttle bus facility was efficient and easy to use.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Was on business in the area, booked into the Hotel as business was nearby the airport. Car Park was spacious, reception area well set out. Rooms were fabulous great space to move around within but having the capability to watch tv from the shower well who needs a tv in the bathroom not here.

Well priced ultra comfy beds never had such a good nights sleep in a hotel, Breakfast was well worth a visit ultra friendly staff. Eben managed a late night drink in the bar staff could not be more helpful.

Highly recommended hotel

Room Tip: Check you can watch tv from the bathroom
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank maverick276
Debbie E, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Hello Maverick276

Thank you for posting a response and awarding us 5 stars.

It’s always great to hear when our guests like the special features in the bedrooms.

Best wishes

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here on business mid-week. I've stayed here before and been very impressed with many aspects of the hotel, to the degree that it was my default choice when needing to book a hotel in the area.

The hotel has plenty of onsite parking and it costs £5/night for guests. There are various park'n'fly options available for those wanting to leave their car here and there appears to be a shuttle service to/from the airport that is very close by (as the picture hopefully shows).

Check-in was efficient and professional, with Patricia (apologies if I've got your name wrong) recognising me from my previous stay (did I cause that much trouble last time?!). The hotel was completely full so the usual complimentary room upgrade I enjoy as a Concierge level member of Carlson Rezidor's loyalty program wasn't possible. However, I'm fairly certain that they had allocated me one of the best available Business Class rooms, as I ended with one at the end of the corridor, so it was in effect a corner room and had a fantastic view directly toward the airport. The view was great - I had no idea that EMA was so busy - and there was no intrusive noise from the planes taking off & landing. I even got to see a Condor (or Antonov AN124) landing which is a bit of an event.

The room was very spacious and certainly felt larger than the quoted 28m2 on the website. It had plenty of storage & hanging space, a good-sized bed, table & armchairs and a decent-sized work desk and lamp. Next to that was a unit containing the mini-bar, tea & coffee facilities and a Nespresso machine. There was also a rather clever narrow but full length mirror that folded out of the side of this unit, ideal for getting dressed in and without having to walk across to the main mirror opposite the bathroom exit. For those getting dressed into work clothes, it was a clever touch.

The bed was the usual Radisson standard; soft but not too soft and certainly conducive to a very restful night's sleep.

The climate control unit was effective and able to both warm and cool the room quickly and without too much intrusive noise.

There was a decent-sized (I'm guessing at least 32") flat screen TV on the wall opposite the bed, which had a very good quality picture and a selection of - but not all - Freeview channels. The TV wasn't that interactive and the EPG was next to useless. Compared to other Radisson Blu properties - I'm thinking here of the exceptionally good interactive features and easy EPG on the LG TVs at Radisson Blu Stansted - the TV here was a little lacking. Having said that, I know in the suites that the TV emerges from the base of the bed like something out of Tracey Island, which was enough to amuse me for hours.

It was good to see UK and international sockets on the corner of the work desk, ideal for those travelling into the UK from abroad who don't have enough/any UK travel adapters.

The bathroom was relatively spacious with a shower over the bath. The half-length shower door was a very effective fit, meaning that no water leaked out onto the bathroom floor. One of my bête noires is getting out of the bath after a shower and stepping into a small inland sea, where the water from the shower has ended up mostly on the floor.

The water temperature was good but the water pressure from the rain shower head and the hand-held head was a little disappointing; the rain shower was more light precipitation and the hand-held head suffered from the age old problem of the cable coming away from the head, resulting in the water dripping out at that point and the loss of pressure through the head when you pulled the cable taut. I've stayed in other higher grade rooms in the hotel (the Jensen, Hamilton and Presidential suites) all of which have had much more effective shower heads (granted in standalone walk-in shower cubicles) and so one would expect to see the same effective shower heads across all grades of room.

There were plenty of clean, fluffy towels with the second set of towels being housed in the wardrobe opposite the bathroom, in a clever nod to sustainability: there were enough towels for two but if you were in the room on your own, as I was, there wasn't the temptation to use all the towels simply because they were all hanging in the bathroom.

Sustainability is one of this hotel's party pieces. It has some of the highest sustainability credentials for any Carlson Rezidor property in general and Radisson Blu portfolio property in particular, in which I've stayed. I've highlighted this in previous reviews on here and if you're interested, read those earlier ones. To reiterate the key issues;

- the room's lights are all low energy and/or LED. These include the combination bedside lamp/flexible reading light units either side of the bed.
- the corridors have motion sensors that turn on the lights ahead of you as walk along the corridor and then turn them off when the corridor is empty.
- the language used is sustainability2.0 and not 1.0.
- the hotel's restaurant (Runway - reviewed separately on here) seeks to maximise the use of both local and/or seasonal produce.

I had dinner in Runway and have reviewed it separately. One point I would add that I omitted to include in that review was that the bill was presented to me without the automatic addition of a discretionary service charge; something that is itself a paradox. It was very refreshing to see this in a modern hotel as it is becoming the norm, as inertia means most diners won't remove it. My personal view is always to remove and then give the server the same amount in cash, so that it goes into the tronc and isn't used to subsidise the hotel's wage bill. It's even worse when you are presented with a bill that not only a discretionary service charge added but also has a Gratuity or Tip section with an open box next to it. Hmmm. Anyway, Runway has neither and should be commended for this.

I had breakfast the following morning and was again impressed by the range of items on offer as well as the service. There is an omelette station where you can have an omelette cooked to order with your choice of ingredients (in fact they will cook eggs to order as well). Despite it being relatively busy, the charming lady doing the cooking offered to deliver the omelette to my table that was much appreciated and was a nice touch.

The breakfast was certainly up to the Super Breakfast Buffet standards and the availability of jars of Marmite, peanut butter and Nutella is fantastic. It no doubt goes down well with those travelling with children although a warm croissant with Nutella on it is appealing to guests of all ages!

On the downside:

- The selection of Nespresso capsules was almost right but for some reason the standard 2x3 flavours had ended up as 3+2+1 of flavours. Hardly anything to write home about but the presentation of the same mixture of capsules across the portfolio is for me a mark of consistency that shows uniformity.
- Whilst it was good to see Nespresso-sized cups next to the machine, as well as normal-sized coffee mugs (because the latter a) don't fit under the nozzle and b) give you no benchmark for how coffee to dispense), there was only 1 and not 2 of them. A little reminder to housekeeping that the little things are important.
-The bathroom looks into the bedroom area with glass panels either side of the splashback mirror. Whilst the toilet itself in the bathroom is separate with its own door, there is still a lack of privacy when you are in the bathroom as you see into the bedroom and vice versa. It could easily be solved with a curtain that can be pulled across.

These downside points are very minor and hardly likely to be noticed by most people but I believe feedback should be comprehensive and honest. Also, it is the attention to detail that can differentiate a hotel from its competition when their overall levels are guest service are similar.

Talking of that, the levels here are very high. All the staff I met were very efficient and polite, perhaps slightly too professional to the point of appearing slightly detached and impersonal. It may well be that I haven't stayed here enough times and that I am comparing the staff to other properties (notably Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow, where all the staff are superb) where I know the staff better. This is perhaps the only observation I can make that could in any way be construed as constructive criticism: the hotel doesn't yet have a 'feel' to it. It can come across as a bit impersonal and that risks being misinterpreted by some guests as disinterested.

It is something I have experienced at airport hotels in the past (Radisson Blu Gardermoen in Norway was one example), where the airport has such a captive market that it doesn't have to try that extra amount or go that extra bit in terms of delivery customer service excellence. It shouldn't be the case as the Radisson 'Yes I Can!' ethos is about doing just that. In contrast, Park Inn Gardermoen at the other end of the airport couldn't do enough for me and it had a lovely feeling of familiarity to it.

I accept that the proximity of the hotel to the airport means that holidaymakers and business conferences are not going to be in short supply. However, complacency is never good and having elevated itself to a very high ranking on Tripadvisor - a ranking that it thoroughly deserves - it should be focusing upon establishing its own distinct identity. It is a relatively new property, having only been open for a couple of years and maybe it has yet to establish its own feel.

My observation is perhaps a little skewed because of my Concierge level membership: the good news is that when I stay in Carlson Rezidor properties I actively look for things with which to find fault, as my expectations are very high. At Radisson Blu East Midlands, my expectations were only again exceeded and the only points I could make are those listed above (which are hardly earth-shattering).

The rooms here are modern and well-equipped, the facilities are excellent (including a lovely little pool - if you stay here, don't forget to bring your swimming costume) and the value for money is superb: I paid £129 for a Business Class room that represented excellent value for money.

What felt lacking was an awareness of and ability to respond to Concierge members, not helped by the relevant discount not being available in Runway on a technicality over its opening hours. If Daniel the GM is reading this, have a word with Paul your counterpart at Heathrow - I don't want to steal his thunder but what he is doing with his FOM in terms of recognising specific types of guests is very clever and adds to the guest experience.

Overall, this is a very high quality that offers a consistent, reliable and enjoyable service. Next time I am in the area, I once again won't even bother to consider any other hotels in favour of booking here automatically.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Hello Propaganda_Machine

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review which has provided us with much ‘food for thought’.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that we continue to offer reliable and consistent service. We note your constructive observations and these have already been discussed with the relevant teams.

Regarding the glass panels in the bathrooms, many of our guests appreciate the availability of natural daylight, however, we do have a number of bathrooms which have frosted glass, and we would be happy to accommodate you on your next visit.

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write such a positive and enlightening review.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were flying from East Midlands airport for a fortnight's holiday and needed an overnight stay and parking for the period we were away. Radisson Blu proved to be ideal. The hotel is clean, modern and nicely decorated. The hotel provided free transfers to and from the airport. All staff were very helpful. I couldn't fault the service that was provided. As and when I am in this area again I would have no hesitation in using this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Hello Hipsway2013

Thank you for your recent review.

It's great to hear that the hotel was ideal for a night's stay prior to your departure.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 7 in Castle Donington
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
The Priest House by the River
The Priest House by the River
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington
Donington Manor Hotel
Donington Manor Hotel
#7 of 7 in Castle Donington
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!