Booked and paid in advance for a nut free champagne afternoon tea for 8 for a very special occasion.
No welcome, barmaid surly and not attentive. Waited at the bar for a full 10 minutes whilst she scowled at the till and a previous order.
When I introduced myself and said I was with a party for a champagne tea we were told it was all set up... But I had tI prompt her to tell us where!!
We went to the table rather than being shown and waited for another 10-15 minutes before she appeared to take a drinks order.
When we asked the barmaid for wine we had to prompt her to bring over a wine list, then she brought just one list for a table of 8 and was more concerned in telling us it would be in addition to the 'afternoon tea'
we were waiting for some of the party to arrive and did not want to open the champagne until all had arrived, I felt as if we were being 'inconvenient' to the barmaid- the extra money for a bottle really wasn't a problem and I did not want my guests to be troubled by this!!
Waited over an hour for the afternoon tea, then it arrived with nut based cakes. These were replaced for the but allergy sufferer- but I had been quite specific when booking that I wanted but free for all, so as not to single out one person- aftersll afternoon tea is aboyt sharing a three tiered plate, not individual settings.
Two if the afternoon tiers arrived, another 5 min wait for the third.. Causing the whole party to wonder if there would be more, or enough sandwiches to go round.
Overheard other diners complaining about waits- one diner actually went to speak to the chef!
I complained about our wait, the nuts and the fact coffee and milk served was not enough for 8 cups let alone a refil. I did not recieve an apology.
Staff did not check on our service, no apologies for the lateness, barmaid insistent in blaming others.
At the end of a truly Dissapointing afternoon I was hosting for friends I was then presented with a bill- I had paid advance. After the barmaid 'checked' with someone else I paid for the additional bottle of wine we had ordered.
Barmaid did not once apologise for the mistake or ask if we enjoyed the tea.
Food was lovely, but there is absolutely no excuses for the terrible service and lack of attentiveness as a 'handpicked' hotel.
I would not recommend dining at this hotel, we returned home watched fireworks in the village and got better service from the volunteers serving cups of tea than we recieved from the Priest House.
Truly terrible, dissaponting, embarrassing and awkward dining experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a tranquil and stunning location on the banks of the River Trent, The Priest House's history is a rich one that can be traced back almost 1,000 years. Built around a mill tower with its very own water wheels, this 42 bedroom hotel is perfectly placed for a romantic break, an exclusive conference venue or a picture perfect wedding. We've hand-picked a fine selection of food and drink to compliment the charm and romance of our English Countryside setting. Fine dine in our beautiful dining room or relax in our newly renovated and re-named Millstream Bar & Terrace where you can enjoy al fresco dining overlooking the River Trent in the Summer months. We invite you to come and relax and really feel at home with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick and Ebookers so you can book your The Priest House by the River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Priest House Hotel Castle Donington
- Priest Hotel Castle Donington
- The Priest House By The River Castle Donington, Derbyshire