Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport(Castle Donington)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$85
  • Free Breakfast
US$98
US$83
  • Pool
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport(Castle Donington)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$82
US$87
US$83
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Donington Manor Hotel(Castle Donington)
Free cancellation until 05/08
US$121
US$92
Pleasant House(Castle Donington)(Great Value!)
US$79
Premier Inn East Midlands Airport Hotel(Castle Donington)(Great Value!)
US$75
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe cottagesmain buildingcottage roomhand picked hotelsthe fine dining restaurantbanks of the riverafternoon teasecret escapesscallopswedding venuetravelzoo dealwine listwedding guestswedding breakfastrelaxing breaksconestwo night stay
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I guess my stay started as it was meant to continue...

First impressions were good, the hotel is on the River Trent and is certainly a nice looking property. As I entered the hotel, the reception desk was not manned, and I was left looking for a bell, or something to try and get someone's attention - after shouting Hello!! a couple of times someone came out and fetched the chap who checked me in.

Surprisingly, and without me knowing, I was put in a suite, which was really lovely, despite the floor which was on a tilt. In the room you had the bedroom area with ensuite bathroom and a very comfortable sitting area. The room was very nice indeed!

I don't know if it was me, but I thought the bed had not been leveled and thus was on a slant too.

We dined in the restaurant, which only had two other people there. The food took a significant amount of time to come out, as did the wine. When the food did come out, it was not piping hot and did affect the enjoyment of the meal.

One big gripe, is that with desert, you are given the smallest balls of ice-cream known to man - BE MORE GENEROUS (but then I really like ice-cream!!)

The bed was average in terms of comfort, the pillows were not great and hence I had a poor night's sleep.

After a sleepless night, I was looking forward to breakfast, and this was the highlight of the stay. The breakfast is cooked to order and was really tasty, so 5* for that.

The staff that are around are very polite and courteous although, you get the feeling if they staffed the hotel better, service might be more prompt.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dhalv
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for your constructive review, naturally I was disappointed to read about the inconsistencies you experienced.

Our Restaurant is a 2 Rosette Restaurant and undergoes regular inspections to keep this status. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect the quality and standard associated with this accolade.

I hope you will return and if you do plan to do so, please contact me directly so I can personally welcome you back I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Priest House in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stop over with hubby after booking with Secret escapes. We were given complimentary upgrade on arrival. Room comfortable and bright ,overlooking the lake. Set in attractive grounds, very nice. A bottle of Champagne (complimentary) waiting in an ice bucket with glass flutes on the dressing table. Real Champers not a substitute. Good check in, friendly staff. Would have liked some nibbles to go with the drink but that's just being picky. Dinner was part of the offer and we enjoyed a pleasant evening in the attractive restaurant. Dinner was good but the star who made the bread deserves to be noticed. Three different types of small light delicious rolls were presented with smooth non bitter Spanish oil & Balsamic glaze. Spot on! After a comfortable nights sleep we had breakfast which was excellent. All in all a well worth trip to this hotel. Thank you Guys.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Priest House. I am pleased you had a wonderful experience at our hotel where we aim and work hard to deliver a personal level of service and positive comments, such as yours, are a great motivator for the team.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week. Staff are fantastic and so friendly, nothing is too much trouble. Food is truly amazing and credit must go to the chef. There are two menu's a fine dining and an informal brasserie menu, we were lucky enough to stay two nights and therefore sample the two and both are fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

What a wonderful review. I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments in relation to your recent stay here at the Priest House. It is always extremely pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from my sisters wedding here at the weekend. Everything from start to finish was just perfect! Helpful staff, cleanliness, beautiful spacious rooms. Didn't want to leave!
Unfortunately they dont have a lift, so access proved difficult for a couple of party members!
Overall a fantasic place and worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2014
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your comments about the team. We are fortunate to have some very natural, attentive and genuinely charming staff who love what they do and who are very proud to work at the Hotel.

Many thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My girlfriend had booked for us to have afternoon tea at the priest house hotel on Sunday as she was visiting from Leeds. She booked the week before and stated that I myself have a gluten and dairy intolerance to which they said the could cater for and would make a note on the booking. However on arrival we found that the booking had not been made therefore they could not cater for myself as all the items contained dairy. They offered me a salad and fruit while my partner could have the afternoon tea but as i had been looking forward to it all week as it is not easy to find places that cater for my intolerance we were very disappointed and declined this offer and left. It ruined what was a otherwise lovely sunny Sunday.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LJH85

Thank you for your feedback and my sincerest apologies for the experience you received. This is not the type of service or quality of food we offer at the Priest House. It also deeply saddens me that we did not get your reservation and therefore dietary requirements. We are very proud of our innovative and creative chefs and excel at creating dishes around our customers needs.

Once I am able to get a clear picture of what happened on the day, then I am certain we can rectify our mistakes. I would therefore like to pick this up separately on and ask you to email me at gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.