“All round excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Priest House by the River
Thirsk, United Kingdom
“All round excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Excellent stay. Lovely comfortable clean nicely furnished bedroom with a view of the river Trent. The hotel is situated in a very pleasant location at the end of a lane alongside the river. All the staff were friendly helpful and efficient. Food was excellent as was the service at both dinner and breakfast. The only quibble I would have is that the wine is very expensive compared to other hotels. However I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the river in the main building
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor.

At the Priest House we ensure all team members are kept up to date with regards to reviews so we can where necessary learn and improve on constructive feedback. I know they will be delighted with your review highlighting the positive attitude they displayed during your break and I know David our head chef will be pleased to read about the excellent quality dishes you experienced.

On behalf of the team I look forward to welcoming you all back to the Priest House in the near future.

Gwyn Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I guess my stay started as it was meant to continue...

First impressions were good, the hotel is on the River Trent and is certainly a nice looking property. As I entered the hotel, the reception desk was not manned, and I was left looking for a bell, or something to try and get someone's attention - after shouting Hello!! a couple of times someone came out and fetched the chap who checked me in.

Surprisingly, and without me knowing, I was put in a suite, which was really lovely, despite the floor which was on a tilt. In the room you had the bedroom area with ensuite bathroom and a very comfortable sitting area. The room was very nice indeed!

I don't know if it was me, but I thought the bed had not been leveled and thus was on a slant too.

We dined in the restaurant, which only had two other people there. The food took a significant amount of time to come out, as did the wine. When the food did come out, it was not piping hot and did affect the enjoyment of the meal.

One big gripe, is that with desert, you are given the smallest balls of ice-cream known to man - BE MORE GENEROUS (but then I really like ice-cream!!)

The bed was average in terms of comfort, the pillows were not great and hence I had a poor night's sleep.

After a sleepless night, I was looking forward to breakfast, and this was the highlight of the stay. The breakfast is cooked to order and was really tasty, so 5* for that.

The staff that are around are very polite and courteous although, you get the feeling if they staffed the hotel better, service might be more prompt.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dhalv
Thank you for your constructive review, naturally I was disappointed to read about the inconsistencies you experienced.

Our Restaurant is a 2 Rosette Restaurant and undergoes regular inspections to keep this status. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect the quality and standard associated with this accolade.

I hope you will return and if you do plan to do so, please contact me directly so I can personally welcome you back I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Priest House in the very near future.

Kind regards

Rhyl, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stop over with hubby after booking with Secret escapes. We were given complimentary upgrade on arrival. Room comfortable and bright ,overlooking the lake. Set in attractive grounds, very nice. A bottle of Champagne (complimentary) waiting in an ice bucket with glass flutes on the dressing table. Real Champers not a substitute. Good check in, friendly staff. Would have liked some nibbles to go with the drink but that's just being picky. Dinner was part of the offer and we enjoyed a pleasant evening in the attractive restaurant. Dinner was good but the star who made the bread deserves to be noticed. Three different types of small light delicious rolls were presented with smooth non bitter Spanish oil & Balsamic glaze. Spot on! After a comfortable nights sleep we had breakfast which was excellent. All in all a well worth trip to this hotel. Thank you Guys.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Priest House. I am pleased you had a wonderful experience at our hotel where we aim and work hard to deliver a personal level of service and positive comments, such as yours, are a great motivator for the team.

St Helier, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week. Staff are fantastic and so friendly, nothing is too much trouble. Food is truly amazing and credit must go to the chef. There are two menu's a fine dining and an informal brasserie menu, we were lucky enough to stay two nights and therefore sample the two and both are fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
What a wonderful review. I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments in relation to your recent stay here at the Priest House. It is always extremely pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from my sisters wedding here at the weekend. Everything from start to finish was just perfect! Helpful staff, cleanliness, beautiful spacious rooms. Didn't want to leave!
Unfortunately they dont have a lift, so access proved difficult for a couple of party members!
Overall a fantasic place and worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your comments about the team. We are fortunate to have some very natural, attentive and genuinely charming staff who love what they do and who are very proud to work at the Hotel.

Many thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House hotel in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend had booked for us to have afternoon tea at the priest house hotel on Sunday as she was visiting from Leeds. She booked the week before and stated that I myself have a gluten and dairy intolerance to which they said the could cater for and would make a note on the booking. However on arrival we found that the booking had not been made therefore they could not cater for myself as all the items contained dairy. They offered me a salad and fruit while my partner could have the afternoon tea but as i had been looking forward to it all week as it is not easy to find places that cater for my intolerance we were very disappointed and declined this offer and left. It ruined what was a otherwise lovely sunny Sunday.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LJH85
Thank you for your feedback and my sincerest apologies for the experience you received. This is not the type of service or quality of food we offer at the Priest House. It also deeply saddens me that we did not get your reservation and therefore dietary requirements. We are very proud of our innovative and creative chefs and excel at creating dishes around our customers needs.

Once I am able to get a clear picture of what happened on the day, then I am certain we can rectify our mistakes. I would therefore like to pick this up separately on and ask you to email me at gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

ashby de la zouch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We booked in for the gourmet evening and overnight stay, and it was a lovely treat for us both. We approached the hotel down through the picturesque leafy lane and as we arrived, the frontage of the building, which dates back centuries didn`t disappoint. We were warmly welcomed by staff who were kind and thoughtful throughout our stay. The meal was a delightful mix of subtle and delicious flavours; I didn`t know I liked oxtail but chefs` oxtail and walnut ravioli was just divine, as was the whole menu. We retired to our beautiful room and woke to a frosty view towards the river. After a relaxing breakfast we left as the sunshine was just highlighting drifts of snowdrops on the grassy woodland banks.

Room Tip: The room in the turret tower looks so romantic.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. It was a pleasure for me to read it and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. I have shared your feedback with all of my colleagues and I know that they are pleased that their attention to your needs was appreciated.

Our Executive Chef, David was really pleased to read your comments about his food as he has worked hard to influence the menu and its dishes. That you enjoyed his food is a huge reward for his team's efforts.

I do hope that it will not be too long before you make a return visit to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
#1 of 3 in Melbourne
Donington Manor Hotel
Donington Manor Hotel
#8 of 8 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!