“dream wedding perfect location and staff...”

The Priest House by the River
“dream wedding perfect location and staff...”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for months....

myself and my husband got married here at priest house hotel on 26th September 2013- It was the perfect day and everything was amazing. We were a loud bunch with over half of hour 107 day guests staying due to my husbands family being from ireland....

The food was fab and the hotel and wedding planners were great we had a lot of people with special dietary requirements. They were so accommodating and everybody (all 107 guests) had a meal that was fab and or there need! :-)
The evening do was great... bar is expensive but i guess hotel wedding its going to be... guess its just something to be aware of.... The buffet in the evening was fab- there was so much food and people are still talking about it.... I really recommend the pork pies!

The location was beautiful and we had what felt like a perfect summer day... Close to the airport so dead easy for the irish family to get to... but actually u feel like u are a million miles away from EMA.

The staff attended to every need.... some of our evening guests arrived early as they had traveled a long way and the staff found them seats and provided them with desserts. Chris was our master of ceremonies and he did a fab job. He so professional and helpful everyone commented how lovely he was.....

Becci and Claire were the wedding planners i worked with and they made my husband and i feel at ease and they were so on the ball and organised. The rooms used for the wedding were decorated by the staff according to the instructions we sent in and it was perfect, they put up all the bunting and table centers and sweet buffet as asked and they took everything down and packed it into boxes after.... honestly that was a massive weight off my shoulders everything was organised and coordinated it beautifully.

The rooms were lovely cottage rooms and the main hotel rooms are clean and well laid out. ... my only comment might be that the suite rooms are possibly a little tired in places and expensive. My husband and i got one as part of the wedding package so weren't to disappointed.

The morning after the wedding because there were lots of who had stayed they laid on a private breakfast for us and that was lovely, it was another chance to catch up with people before they headed off....

Our guests have been telling us its one of best wedding they have been to and we had some very hard to please people. So, for a wedding, this venue gets the biggest thumbs up from me and my husband. I often wish we could do it all again.....

We are heading to another handpicked hotel in May so we are really hoping it lives up the reputation that the Priest House did....

x

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nayajoy
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for your much valued feedback in relation to your wedding here at the Priest House.

I was pleased to read that you found the food to be fabulous. I was also extremely pleased to read your comments about the team; we spend a great deal of time training our teams to make days like this so very special.

Customer service is something we are passionate about here at the hotel so thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Gwyn Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The food was delicious and it was great to see such a nice selection of savoury items served with afternoon tea as opposed to just sandwiches. The savoury selections were a huge hit with the male members of the group in particular who always favour these items more than the cakes. Service was discreet and friendly. It was also nice not to feel that we had to leave in any hurry and took our time to enjoy a glass of wine afterwards too. My only criticism is that you have to make your own tea with tea bags served separately on plates. Having proper tea leaves would have much more decadence to the experience. Saying this, it was a lovely change to have unlimited tea and coffee, which you don't always receive at many other places. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EJ150480
Thank you for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to us. I was delighted to read your comments about the team. We are fortunate to have some very natural, attentive and genuinely charming staff who love what they do and who are very proud to work at the Hotel.

With regard to the teas we have over a dozen loose leaf teas available and I am therefore sorry you did not select one of these. Many thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Me & my boyfriend stayed here in a Deluxe room, the bath was amazing!! Absolutely huge! Can't thank the staff enough, extremely helpful - special thanks to Chris & Wendy on Reception & Sammy Jo in the Brasserie for their helpful knowledge on the area! The Brasserie is a lovely intimate setting. A must stay if heading to Alton Towers theme park!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you found the service to be friendly and helpful and that all aspects of your visit were impressive. I will ensure your kind words are communicated to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Had a wonderful Afternoon Tea at the Priest House. The location is stunning with the drive down to the hotel and then it gets even better with the river alongside, it is in a great location. Were greeted warmly at the reception and then again in the Brassiere were afternoon tea was served. Choice of teas, then sandwiches, cakes and scones were served and I must say it was probably one of the best teas that I have had. Staff were wonderful, attentive but not overbearing and the service was spot on. Brassiere/bar was well decorated and clean and it just made you feel good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for lovely review following your visit to the Hotel, the teams are passionate about providing great service so I am genuinely delighted to read your comments and hear that you felt so welcome. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This place had thought of everything from a coffee machine in my room to a dressing gown. Really beautiful setting too. Nice and quiet for a good nights sleep. Brekkie was good but only had cold buffet as didn't want the hot but it looked good. Would highly recommend

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at the Priest House, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Leics
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had been meaning to visit for some time and finally managed a trip over this week. A stunning location helped by the beautiful sunny day. I took my mum for a cream tea in the brasserie. Although not the cheapest place for cream teas, we found the scones were delicious and as we received 2 each, plenty for a small lunch or large snack. I had read about the tea box and was not disappointed. We were able to smell a sample if the teas before we chose them and these were also of a good quality. The only two things we thought let this experience down slightly were that the cleanliness: carpet was not clean (food crumbs etc) and cobwebs were around the window; and the lovely staff sadly lacked confidence and/or experience so we were served our scones before we'd chosen our teas, tea box still on the table, tea was then served without cups, and I'd read that we would receive top-ups of hot water which did not happy even though we sat for some time and there was only 1 other table of customers so not busy. A lovely place, lovely food, would be excellent with these two things changed.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank MummyHG
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was certainly disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your visit with us as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver here at the Priest House.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Lichfield, England
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Ate here the other night, trully an outstanding meal, only criticism service wasnt as "slick" as i would have expected and there seem to be a shortage on staff, what staff there were are friendly and polite although young and inexpericenced their personalities and mannerisms outweigh. I would definatly visit again in the near future.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lucy-lou-1980
Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to the Hotel.

Once again we are very fortunate to have a review which highlights the quality of the team, I do believe they are what makes the Priest House a great hotel as each member of the team truly goes out of their way to ensure all guests experience the wow factor during their visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
#7 of 7 in Castle Donington
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!