“Another “Superficial style but doesn't deliver on its promise””

The Priest House by the River
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Recent reviews of the Priest House have been pretty good so we decided to break our journey back from Leeds to London on bank holiday Sunday.

First impressions were quite good; a pretty building, nice green grounds and the sun was shining. However the reception was a little lack luster and by the time we got to our room I was feeling rather disappointed. We had booked a suite, dinner and breakfast package for £250 and requested a four poster bed as shown on their website. What we got was a very bland room and normal double bed, far too much beige and no luxurious touches. The only plus points were the size of the room and pleasant views but I didn't feel like it was the relaxing treat we were hoping for and it certainly didn't warrant the price tag...

The stay didn't get any better at dinner; pretentious tiny portions that were far from perfect (unseasoned and undercooked fondant potato and cold lamb), an uncomfortably silent dining room and young inexperienced bar staff who informed us after dinner that they couldn't make us a margarita or espresso martini as they "weren't on the cocktail menu".

It's a shame as this hotel has the setting and potential to be great but it needs the service and style to match and we left rather disappointed by the whole experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarahkc
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to report your experience at the Priest House. We value our guests opinions and this enables us to address any issues which you raise from your visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you were pleased with a number of aspects during your visit however naturally disappointed with your comments about food being cold. We take all our guest comments very seriously and I have addressed these with our kitchen food and beverage team.

From your comments and feedback it is clear to me that, on this occasion, we failed to meet all of your expectations and I fully understand your disappointment for which I am truly sorry. We endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean comfortable environment with friendly, bubbly and well trained staff and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this for you.

Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope that I will be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your valued comments.

There are newer reviews for The Priest House by the River

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a one night stay at this hotel and cannot praise it high enough. The location is extremely beautiful and relaxing. The staff are all without exception very cheerful and cannot do enough to ensure satisfaction at all times. The food is is delicious and eating surroundings are comfortable and attractive.

We would recommend anyone to book this venue and we will certainly
Be going back for another break at some time in the near future.

Ron and Paula
Staffordshire

Room Tip: We got a better deal by phoning the hotel direct even though we originally found it on a well known...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RonPaulaParker
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for your review and for all the fantastic comments with regards to the food and the staff. Your review means even more to us due to the fact that you would recommend the hotel.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Priest House Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for months....

myself and my husband got married here at priest house hotel on 26th September 2013- It was the perfect day and everything was amazing. We were a loud bunch with over half of hour 107 day guests staying due to my husbands family being from ireland....

The food was fab and the hotel and wedding planners were great we had a lot of people with special dietary requirements. They were so accommodating and everybody (all 107 guests) had a meal that was fab and or there need! :-)
The evening do was great... bar is expensive but i guess hotel wedding its going to be... guess its just something to be aware of.... The buffet in the evening was fab- there was so much food and people are still talking about it.... I really recommend the pork pies!

The location was beautiful and we had what felt like a perfect summer day... Close to the airport so dead easy for the irish family to get to... but actually u feel like u are a million miles away from EMA.

The staff attended to every need.... some of our evening guests arrived early as they had traveled a long way and the staff found them seats and provided them with desserts. Chris was our master of ceremonies and he did a fab job. He so professional and helpful everyone commented how lovely he was.....

Becci and Claire were the wedding planners i worked with and they made my husband and i feel at ease and they were so on the ball and organised. The rooms used for the wedding were decorated by the staff according to the instructions we sent in and it was perfect, they put up all the bunting and table centers and sweet buffet as asked and they took everything down and packed it into boxes after.... honestly that was a massive weight off my shoulders everything was organised and coordinated it beautifully.

The rooms were lovely cottage rooms and the main hotel rooms are clean and well laid out. ... my only comment might be that the suite rooms are possibly a little tired in places and expensive. My husband and i got one as part of the wedding package so weren't to disappointed.

The morning after the wedding because there were lots of who had stayed they laid on a private breakfast for us and that was lovely, it was another chance to catch up with people before they headed off....

Our guests have been telling us its one of best wedding they have been to and we had some very hard to please people. So, for a wedding, this venue gets the biggest thumbs up from me and my husband. I often wish we could do it all again.....

We are heading to another handpicked hotel in May so we are really hoping it lives up the reputation that the Priest House did....

x

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nayajoy

I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for your much valued feedback in relation to your wedding here at the Priest House.

I was pleased to read that you found the food to be fabulous. I was also extremely pleased to read your comments about the team; we spend a great deal of time training our teams to make days like this so very special.

Customer service is something we are passionate about here at the hotel so thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Gwyn Jones

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The food was delicious and it was great to see such a nice selection of savoury items served with afternoon tea as opposed to just sandwiches. The savoury selections were a huge hit with the male members of the group in particular who always favour these items more than the cakes. Service was discreet and friendly. It was also nice not to feel that we had to leave in any hurry and took our time to enjoy a glass of wine afterwards too. My only criticism is that you have to make your own tea with tea bags served separately on plates. Having proper tea leaves would have much more decadence to the experience. Saying this, it was a lovely change to have unlimited tea and coffee, which you don't always receive at many other places. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EJ150480

Thank you for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to us. I was delighted to read your comments about the team. We are fortunate to have some very natural, attentive and genuinely charming staff who love what they do and who are very proud to work at the Hotel.

With regard to the teas we have over a dozen loose leaf teas available and I am therefore sorry you did not select one of these. Many thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Me & my boyfriend stayed here in a Deluxe room, the bath was amazing!! Absolutely huge! Can't thank the staff enough, extremely helpful - special thanks to Chris & Wendy on Reception & Sammy Jo in the Brasserie for their helpful knowledge on the area! The Brasserie is a lovely intimate setting. A must stay if heading to Alton Towers theme park!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you found the service to be friendly and helpful and that all aspects of your visit were impressive. I will ensure your kind words are communicated to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Had a wonderful Afternoon Tea at the Priest House. The location is stunning with the drive down to the hotel and then it gets even better with the river alongside, it is in a great location. Were greeted warmly at the reception and then again in the Brassiere were afternoon tea was served. Choice of teas, then sandwiches, cakes and scones were served and I must say it was probably one of the best teas that I have had. Staff were wonderful, attentive but not overbearing and the service was spot on. Brassiere/bar was well decorated and clean and it just made you feel good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for lovely review following your visit to the Hotel, the teams are passionate about providing great service so I am genuinely delighted to read your comments and hear that you felt so welcome. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This place had thought of everything from a coffee machine in my room to a dressing gown. Really beautiful setting too. Nice and quiet for a good nights sleep. Brekkie was good but only had cold buffet as didn't want the hot but it looked good. Would highly recommend

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at the Priest House, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#3 of 7 in Castle Donington
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!