Recent reviews of the Priest House have been pretty good so we decided to break our journey back from Leeds to London on bank holiday Sunday.
First impressions were quite good; a pretty building, nice green grounds and the sun was shining. However the reception was a little lack luster and by the time we got to our room I was feeling rather disappointed. We had booked a suite, dinner and breakfast package for £250 and requested a four poster bed as shown on their website. What we got was a very bland room and normal double bed, far too much beige and no luxurious touches. The only plus points were the size of the room and pleasant views but I didn't feel like it was the relaxing treat we were hoping for and it certainly didn't warrant the price tag...
The stay didn't get any better at dinner; pretentious tiny portions that were far from perfect (unseasoned and undercooked fondant potato and cold lamb), an uncomfortably silent dining room and young inexperienced bar staff who informed us after dinner that they couldn't make us a margarita or espresso martini as they "weren't on the cocktail menu".
It's a shame as this hotel has the setting and potential to be great but it needs the service and style to match and we left rather disappointed by the whole experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a tranquil and stunning location on the banks of the River Trent, The Priest House's history is a rich one that can be traced back almost 1,000 years. Built around a mill tower with its very own water wheels, this 42 bedroom hotel is perfectly placed for a romantic break, an exclusive conference venue or a picture perfect wedding. We've hand-picked a fine selection of food and drink to compliment the charm and romance of our English Countryside setting. Fine dine in our beautiful dining room or relax in our newly renovated and re-named Millstream Bar & Terrace where you can enjoy al fresco dining overlooking the River Trent in the Summer months. We invite you to come and relax and really feel at home with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, LateRooms and Cancelon so you can book your The Priest House by the River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Priest House Hotel Castle Donington
- Priest Hotel Castle Donington
- The Priest House By The River Castle Donington, Derbyshire