“Relaxing break!”

The Priest House by the River
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
“Relaxing break!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had a wonderful weekend away with our young family. It was our first time at this hotel and simply loved it. The staff were very friendly and helpful, just fantastic. Good choice of food, we couldn't fault it. We would recommend it to our friends and family and we are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RSPandGDP
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind comments. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and I will be sure to pass your feedback the team who will be thrilled with your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

Gwyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have visited the Priest House hotel for an evening meal on two occasions now and was delighted both times.

The location is amazing, very easy to find and a great, peaceful setting. It's quite close to the East Midlands airport but I didn't notice any noise.

When we entered the hotel we were greeted pleasantly and we able to speak with Chris, one of the managers, who was very friendly and was able to accommodate our request to see some of the rooms as I'd like to stay overnight on a future visit.

The restaurant was lovely, nicely light, very comfortable. The service was exceptional, the waiting on staff checking in on us and tending to every request. The food was divine, we had all courses and enjoyed every one. I particularly enjoyed the desert on both visits! Absolutely mouthwatering and wonderful presentation. Despite being a petite lady, I tend to eat large portions and the Priest House did not disappoint, I was very full by the end of the evening.

Unfortunately I was driving so I wasn't able to sample the wine but the selection looked enticing and I hope to stay over one night so I can have a glass from the white selection.

Overall a great experience on both visits and would recommend to other people.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you found the service to be friendly and helpful and that all aspects of your visit were impressive. I will ensure your kind words are communicated to the team and especially Chris. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellent service really helpful and cheery people, really good choice of food, beautiful location in rural England. Very clean and nicely decorated rooms with thoughful touches such as up to date magazines/ good set of toileteries. Would really recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for lovely review following your stay at the Hotel, the teams are passionate about providing great service so I am genuinely delighted to read your comments and hear that you felt so welcome. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Surrey
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here recently in one of the cottage rooms. The setting of the hotel is fantastic, picture postcard stuff. We were staying for a Saturday night to break a journey. The room was pleasant and as others have stated not blighted by the Castle Donnington Raceway or East Midlands Airport. The restaurant was a little curious as only two couples (including us) were eating that night, service seemed a little sloppy; the food was I suspect a little over ambitious for the chefs capabilities and consequently was a bit of a miss - would not eat an evening meal in the restaurant again. Breakfast was great! We have stayed at other hotels in the 'Hand Picked Group' and would not say that this stay was reflective of our previous experiences. All in all a bit of a shame!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PDubois
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am extremely sorry that some aspects of your stay below the standards that we expect to deliver. I would be grateful if you would provide a telephone number so that I may call and you can elaborate on your experience. My email address is gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were guests at a wedding. we did not stay as we live close by, many of our family did. It is a lovely venue, but the service in the bars and management was terrible. The meal was fine. Generally the staff were young people on the bars and servicing food. the bars were undermanned and people were waiting up to 20 mins to get served. The staff said could not do cocktails as too busy anyone there who was not part of the wedding would be furious as this type of hotel and price should be able to offer a full service. It was a hot day and many people started to feel unwell as it was so difficult to get a drink. It was not the bar staffs fault there were many managers wandering around with clipboards who did not offer to help. This wedding cost thousands but later there were signs on the second bar saying no wedding guests they lost out massively on revenue. We had been told the areas of garden outside the reception room could be used. The light bulb had gone and it was pitch black out there and was all overgrown with weeds. The room was to small if the outside areas were not used. The meal was good and the service was good for the meal. The bars had no lemonade. The drinks were extortionate more expensive than top London bars when you actually got one. Very poor value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TheMcs
Thank you for registering your recent review on Trip Advisor.

It is disappointing to read a report such as this. We are always receptive to feedback about our product and service and are work tirelessly to make continuous improvements. To do this we always listen to honest and constructive comments from our guests and visitors even when it is uncomfortable to do so.

I am very keen to understand which wedding you attended as we have previously had no such feedback and would ask you to contact me directly or email me at gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Gwyn Jones
Stansted, Kent
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The room here lacked attention to detail (flaking ceiling emulsion paint in the bathroom - easily rectified - rusty exposed screw heads on panelling)
The main problem is that although the food is VERY good the service is appalling. We dined here on two nights and the service was SLOW. On our second night it took 45 minutes to provide our starters (both easily done within 10) We do not want rushed service by any means but two hours for a dinner for two is stretching it a little !
If management actually looked in at meal times or just looked around they might just be able to see the problem and hopefully correct it.
My letter to head office elicited just a very bland apology. A great shame, the hotel occupies a delightful spot, the rooms are good (notwithstanding my comments above) and to repeat, the food is good BUT..................!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roger L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was delighted you found the food to be well presented and to a good standard. However previously stated I was disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your visit.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt.

West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed one night in the cottages on business, the function room and hospitality was very good, the room I stayed in in the row of cottages was very clean. The setting was lovely on the river bank, very peaceful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve W

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!