“My visit to the Priest House ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Priest House by the River

The Priest House by the River
“My visit to the Priest House ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We recently visited the priest house and I would recommend a visit when in Derby or Castle Donnington.
We found the staff to be friendly, attentive and efficient.
We decided to try the fine dinning and was not disappointed, very palatable and a good choice of dishes to choose from, to finish the evening off we sat outside looking out over the river drinking wine. Thank you priest house for helping our romantic evening go so well

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annette T
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at the Priest House, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Gwyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

The setting of this hotel is beautiful, but I am afraid that's where it ends. I was here for a wedding, we paid for a luxury room, and the room itself was quite big. When we got into our room there was a very heavy smell of bleach coming from the bathroom, which filled the whole room and was quite choking especially for the little one. It was only when that died down we had another smell greeting us, that of human waste, it was just not our room we could smell this in but a majority of the hotel had this lingering, and several of my family staying there also commented on the smell. There was 2 adults and 2 children sleeping in our room, the children's ages were 16 and 6, the sofa bed prepared for them was awful, there was no padding to the mattress and to lie down on it meant that you had springs digging into your back. So there was no alternative but for all 4 of us to sleep in the one double bed, which led to a very sleepless night for everyone. When we arrived back home 1 of the children had awful stomach ache and was violently sick. Speaking to some of my relatives that were also there, I found out that several had also become quite ill also. I must also comment on the price of the drinks, a glass of wine at this hotel will set you back £10 which is extortionate. Would I recommend this hotel no way! This nightmare cost me £140 for the room that was not fit for purpose, biggest waste of money I have ever spent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am extremely sorry that some aspects of your stay below the standards that we expect to deliver, whilst I am sorry to hear you were indisposed during your stay, there is no evidence to support an allegation of this type, but again will be happy to reassure you further on this point. I would be grateful if you would provide a telephone number so that I may call and you can elaborate on your experience. My email address is gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a valentines package with my girlfriend which included accomodation an evening meal and breakfast. The hotel location was very nice, unfortunately I visited after weeks of heavy rain and most of the grounds were flooded due to the proxinity to the river so I couldn't go for any walks around them. The rooms were decent and clean, bed was fairly comfy. The food was decent too, both the evening meal and breakfast. Overall it was a decent stay and the value was okay due to the package but would be a bit pricey for what you get normally. I would probably rate a touch higher if I had been able to get out and about around the grounds a big more.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your visit to the Priest House. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time and you found the food to be of a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Thanks again for your kind words.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have been a couple of times now and the food was delicious on both occassions. Nice to see proper hand cut chips and homemade food rather than out of a freezer.

The first time the service was superb, but we were the only people in the restaurant. The 2nd time not so good and we waited a long time for orders to be taken, the bill etc. The food arrived within a reasonable time but getting orders in etc was very slow. It certainly wouldn't be ideal if you wanted a quick lunch.

The restaurant is clean and well laid out. Toilets immaculate.

Setting wise, its lovely. Plenty of parking.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chezwylde
Thank you for your feedback and we are so sorry that the service elements during dinner did not reach your expectations.

It is clear that we failed with regard to attentive service and your points have been conveyed to our Food and Beverage Manager for his urgent attention. I would be happy to discuss this with you should you wish to contact me either by telephoning 01332 815301 or via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Although the hotel was situated in a lovely spot we found that the attention to detail was not the best. The shower screen in our bathroom did not close properly, and a drop light in the bedroom was loose.
We could not get a table in the main restaurant on the day we wanted, though every time I passed the restaurant it seemed empty? However the meals in the small bistro were good even if they didn't have all the sweets that were on the menu.
We also thought the wine was very overpriced at £30 fior a very average bottle of wine and all other drinks quite expensive.
One positive note was all the staff were very pleasant and friendly.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GTD16
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was certainly disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your visit with us as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver here at the Priest House.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt.

Thank you again for your valued comments.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked this as a special offer through secret escapes and we got the room, afternoon tea, 3 course meal and full English breakfast for £159. The deal was fantastic and as I'd wanted to visit the priest house for an overnight stay for a very long time I snapped up the deal. The room on arrival looked lovely, the bed was really comfortable and the room was fitted with all the little touches you would expect from a good quality hotel room. Afternoon tea was fabulous, the member of staff serving was a pleasure and although he really wasn't sure what he was serving he got away with it as it all look gorgeous. The brasserie setting was lovely, laid back with a beautiful view. That evening we went for the 3 course evening meal, the fine dinning menu could only be described as a bit pretentious and so opted for the brasserie menu instead which the staff were more than happy to change things around and accommodate. The food was nice, not the best I've had but nice. The drinks were extremely expensive, I expected to pay more than usual but £26 for 3 glasses of wine seems excessive to me. Completely bloated we went to bed and had a great nights sleep, I do need to mention that the walls are extremely thin for a hotel and we could hear everything from the next room.... This didn't really effect me though as I slipped into a food coma.
The following morning we were greeted with silverfish in the bathroom, from this point I couldn't wait to get out, if you've ever seen them you'll know why, creepy little suckers. We packed up straight away, had a quick breakfast, then shot straight off.
So to conclude, the deal we brought was worth 4 stars, great offer and the hotel and food combination met that value, however paying full price I would have been very disappointed and I would have given 2 stars, so I've met half way at 3.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kerstin2006
Gwyn J, Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your recent visit; I was delighted to read your very kind comments about your visit especially those about the team and the quality of your nights sleep.

I am sorry you felt our drinks prices were expensive but we believe that our single vineyard house wines at £5.50 for a 175ml glass offer excellent quality at sensible prices. We endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean comfortable environment with friendly, bubbly and well trained staff and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to meet all of our own expectations.

Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope that I will be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your valued comments.

Gwyn Jones
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked a relatively last minute stay and booked via the hotel due to accessibility concerns as I was on crutches as a result of a broken ankle. Kathryn Clift at the hotel was excellent and put me at ease that my condition would not be an issue. On our arrival at the hotel we were warmly welcomed and it was immediately apparent that the staff member on reception had been pre-warned of our arrival which I thought was very good indeed. We were shown to our room which was as promised in the main hotel, on the ground floor and near the hotels restaurant and bar etc. In the evening we had a relaxing drink in the bar before a fantastic dining experience in the fine dining restaurant. Genuinely the food was excellent. The food was equally excellent at breakfast. Every member of staff we encountered were a credit to the hotel.

1 Thank Mark B
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Hotel.

Once again we are very fortunate to have a review which highlights the quality of the team, I do believe they are what makes the Priest House a great hotel as each member of the team truly goes out of their way to ensure all guests experience the wow factor during their stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
#1 of 3 in Melbourne
Donington Manor Hotel
Donington Manor Hotel
#8 of 8 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!