Myself and my fiancee booked the Priest house for our planned wedding and I paid £1750.00 towards the costs. we booked 9 or 10 months in advance and worked out a payment package with the Hotel. My Fiancee looked after all the booking forms and letters.. My fiancee dropped the bombshell on me a few months ago that she no longer wanted to marry me and that the relationship was over. This shock gutted me and I developed depression and anxiety. My doctor put me on medication to help me cope.
I recently lost my sister to cancer and im coming to terms with as well.
I'm 67 years old and was looking forward to settling down after living alone for 20 years. We had planned to move into a new house and start from fresh.
I then had to start phoning round informing all the invited guests and explain the news of the cancellation and i had to explain the situation to the estate agents.
I had to cancel the photographers and Wedding car hire, all this with help from my friends.
I emailed and phoned the Priest House and explained the Situation to them and I asked if it was possible to get a refund because of the length of time of the cancellation.
I had to ring them again because I heard nothing for some weeks. They said that they couldn't find the original email and that they would look in to it.
I rang them again some weeks later and was told that a refund would not be possible even though there was still several months left to go before the wedding date 28th Sept. I thought that because id given them plenty of notice it would be possible to claim back some of the deposit,they still said no.I explained that I would have been happy with half the deposit but they were adamant and told me a definite no. It had taken me months to save the deposit out of my State pension and it would have helped soften the blow. My ex fiancee had all the paperwork but destroyed it. Me and my fiancee stayed at the Priest house on our engagement night that's the reason we booked it for our wedding. We was very satisfied with our previous stay there so we decided to use the Hotel again.
I would have thought under the circumstances and the well in advanced cancellation that the manager would have been more sympathetic and understanding.
I'm slowly getting better with the help of my GP and friends.
I'm very Disappointed in the way they dealt with my situation but I suppose i have to accept the outcome.
Thank you for taking time to read my problem
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a tranquil and stunning location on the banks of the River Trent, The Priest House's history is a rich one that can be traced back almost 1,000 years. Built around a mill tower with its very own water wheels, this 42 bedroom hotel is perfectly placed for a romantic break, an exclusive conference venue or a picture perfect wedding. We've hand-picked a fine selection of food and drink to compliment the charm and romance of our English Countryside setting. Fine dine in our beautiful dining room or relax in our newly renovated and re-named Millstream Bar & Terrace where you can enjoy al fresco dining overlooking the River Trent in the Summer months. We invite you to come and relax and really feel at home with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, LateRooms and Cancelon so you can book your The Priest House by the River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Priest House Hotel Castle Donington
- Priest Hotel Castle Donington
- The Priest House By The River Castle Donington, Derbyshire