“Simply the best...”

The Priest House by the River
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Simply the best...”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Priest is undeniably the nicest hotel in the Midlands, if you're looking for a beautiful, relaxing, comfortable, inviting property then this is for you.... From the long driveway, parking by the river and getting your first view of the original mill, its stunning. The reception staff are just superb, great service with nothing being too much trouble. We've stayed there at least one weekend a year since getting married there 3 years ago, our most recent stay on our wedding anniversary.
The hotel staff know us by name and look after us so well. The most recent visit they upgraded our room to the suite we had on our wedding night, a glass of champagne before our dinner and the option to have the restaurant menu in the cosy bar area... nothing is too much trouble to make you feel at home.
All the rooms are lovely, they have the main hotel rooms and the cottage rooms which are slightly cheaper but still lovely. The bar area is just perfect with an open fire and comfy chairs. The bar menu has changed recently but the food is lovely and reasonably priced.
Weather its sunny or snowing the Priest house is a guaranteed great weekend away. A walk by the river in the sunshine or a mulled wine and mince pie by the fire in the snow.
A buffet continental breakfast with a full english breakfast cooked to order either on your room or served in the restaurant, good quality produce, served freshly cooked.
I can't recommend this hotel enough, if you want somewhere easily accessible from the motorway, with a welcoming, relaxing vibe you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb however if you're looking for something extra special the Heron and Sto...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heather M
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. It was a pleasure for me to read it and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. I have shared your feedback with all of my colleagues and I know that they are pleased that their attention to your needs was appreciated.

Our Executive Chef, David was really pleased to read your comments about his food as he has worked hard to influence the menu and its dishes. That you enjoyed his food is a huge reward for his team's efforts.

I do hope that it will not be too long before you make a return visit to us.

Gwyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiul hotel, lovely setting, even better food, really enjoyable. We were lucky enough to come on a night when the chef changed tge menu and had one of the most exquisit and decadent vanilla and peach desserts i have ever tried. Special thanks has to go to "Faye" she really was attentive and couldnt do enough for us. The secret escape offer really was the icing on the cake. Definatly recommend and definatly be back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for writing such kind things about your recent visit to the hotel; it is much appreciated. I was delighted to share your review with my colleagues and Chef, in particular, was delighted you enjoyed the vanilla and peach dessert.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Priest House in the very near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We have just had 2 nights at the Priest House for a mini break. The setting is absolutely lovely on the banks of the River Trent. The food is excellent particularly in the restaurant and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The standards are high but the atmosphere is nice and informal, we really enjoyed it and will definitely be visiting again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah E
Thank you for your review. It is always wonderful to receive feedback about the team delivering excellent customer service, as we spend a lot of time training our team about exceeding guest expectations. Once again, many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Myself and my fiancee booked the Priest house for our planned wedding and I paid £1750.00 towards the costs. we booked 9 or 10 months in advance and worked out a payment package with the Hotel. My Fiancee looked after all the booking forms and letters.. My fiancee dropped the bombshell on me a few months ago that she no longer wanted to marry me and that the relationship was over. This shock gutted me and I developed depression and anxiety. My doctor put me on medication to help me cope.
I recently lost my sister to cancer and im coming to terms with as well.
I'm 67 years old and was looking forward to settling down after living alone for 20 years. We had planned to move into a new house and start from fresh.
I then had to start phoning round informing all the invited guests and explain the news of the cancellation and i had to explain the situation to the estate agents.
I had to cancel the photographers and Wedding car hire, all this with help from my friends.
I emailed and phoned the Priest House and explained the Situation to them and I asked if it was possible to get a refund because of the length of time of the cancellation.
I had to ring them again because I heard nothing for some weeks. They said that they couldn't find the original email and that they would look in to it.
I rang them again some weeks later and was told that a refund would not be possible even though there was still several months left to go before the wedding date 28th Sept. I thought that because id given them plenty of notice it would be possible to claim back some of the deposit,they still said no.I explained that I would have been happy with half the deposit but they were adamant and told me a definite no. It had taken me months to save the deposit out of my State pension and it would have helped soften the blow. My ex fiancee had all the paperwork but destroyed it. Me and my fiancee stayed at the Priest house on our engagement night that's the reason we booked it for our wedding. We was very satisfied with our previous stay there so we decided to use the Hotel again.
I would have thought under the circumstances and the well in advanced cancellation that the manager would have been more sympathetic and understanding.
I'm slowly getting better with the help of my GP and friends.
I'm very Disappointed in the way they dealt with my situation but I suppose i have to accept the outcome.
Thank you for taking time to read my problem

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Dave O
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
As previously stated I was very sorry to hear you had to cancel your Wedding.

As I have explained I have checked through the terms & conditions on your signed contract with regards to your deposit. Based on the contract, I am unable to offer any refund. If you took out wedding insurance then this will normally be covered under the terms of the insurance.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

It sounds like some people have had some unfortunate incidents. I have attended a wedding in the past which was an amazing day. Our recent visit was just for a relaxing trip and it was just that. we stayed in a main house rooms and it was a great size. The staff were friendly and approachable and the service was good but unobtrusive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon M
What a wonderful review. I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments in relation to your recent stay here at the Priest House. It is always extremely pleasing to receive such positive feedback from returning guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We booked for a couple of nights away for some shopping and a general relax. On arrival the grounds are lovely and there is plenty of room to park. The receptionist was very helpful and helped us with everything we needed. Our bed and room was lovely and comfortable with a large TV plenty of tea/coffee and water and our bathroom was excellent with a lovely big bath! We eat in the Brasserie on the first night and our food was excellent. We had a great nights sleep and our breakfast was as good as anywhere we have stayed. The service was great and they catered for everyone. We shopped in Nottingham all day and when we came back there was a wedding but there was no disruption at all us and we had a snooze. We ate in the main restaurant that night and to be fair its hard for us to judge the food as its very posh and not what we would normally eat. Everyone around us looked like they were really enjoying the food but its not really our thing. What we had was nice but would have preferred a good steak! The wedding disco did not disrupt us at all and we had a lovely nights sleep and again another terrific breakfast the next day. We would stay again and would recommend to anyone else who maybe thinking of staying here.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart J
Thank you for your review and for all the fantastic comments with regards to the hotel and the staff. Your review means even more to us due to the fact that you would recommend the hotel.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Priest House Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We recently visited the priest house and I would recommend a visit when in Derby or Castle Donnington.
We found the staff to be friendly, attentive and efficient.
We decided to try the fine dinning and was not disappointed, very palatable and a good choice of dishes to choose from, to finish the evening off we sat outside looking out over the river drinking wine. Thank you priest house for helping our romantic evening go so well

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annette T
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at the Priest House, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 7 in Castle Donington
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!