The Priest House by the River
Hilton East Midlands Airport(Castle Donington)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$100
  • Restaurant
US$84
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport(Castle Donington)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$92
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Donington Manor Hotel(Castle Donington)
US$136
Priceline
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cottagesmain buildingcottage roomhand picked hotelsthe fine dining restaurantbanks of the riverafternoon teasecret escapesscallopsbride and groomwedding venuewedding breakfastrelaxing breakwedding receptionevening mealtwo night stayshort break
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Had a amazing time for my friends 70th birthday.. was a nice surprise for her she didnt know about it..champagne afternoon tea.. staff,, food everything spot on,, would defo recommend it was very special. X been there before to a wedding so really fab place. grounds are very picturesque. Xx

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your ‘Wonderful’ review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you found our afternoon tea to be excellent and that you would wish return to the hotel.

On behalf of the team may I thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House in the near future.

Gwyn Jones

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Impressive staff (particularly Sammy), very comfortable rooms, fantastic food, good value and a beautiful location make the Priest House a lovely place to stay. I went for a weekend break with my university friends and we will definitely be going back.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for sharing your kind comments. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and I will be sure to pass your feedback the team who will be thrilled with your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband & I stayed for 1 night midweek. We were greeted at the reception and promptly directed to our room (no 32). The room itself is pleasant enough but does need some serious TLC, such as new curtains and re-grouting in the bathroom. A few tweaks here and there would really improve the accommodation tenfold. However, they really do make you feel welcome and relaxed. We had a large bottle of champagne which we thoroughly enjoyed whilst relaxing in the complimentary bathrobes. The toiletries in the bathroom were divine and plenty of clean towels were provided. The view from this room is mainly of the car park & you can just about see the river. The only issue we had was because it was so hot outside, we had to sleep with the windows open as there is no air con. This meant we were frequently listening to the barrier to the car park being raised and lowered but it wasn't a huge issue and had a decent night's sleep. The bedding was immaculate and the mattress and pillows were very comfortable. The highlight of our evening was our meal in the restaurant. The food was lovely. The staff were very friendly & are a credit to the hotel and although our main meal was delivered to another table before us, and then the same waitress brought over someone else's dessert to our table, we saw the funny side and it was no big deal. They even brought a birthday plate over for me which was very thoughtful. The next day's breakfast was just as nice, the only thing I would say here is that if you arrive in the later slots then the buffet looks very sparse and I did feel that I was picking at leftovers. We ordered two full English minus a few bits and they got both orders correct and they arrived promptly. Again, the staff checked that everything was ok with your meals and were extremely pleasant. My overall view of the hotel is that, it's in desperate need of a refurbishment (general woodwork, window frames, strip, re line and paper walls and new carpets in some areas etc) , but it has great food and great staff which makes this a great place to stay. Thank you for making it a special birthday for me.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lulu8847

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. I have shared your feedback with all of my colleagues.

Our Executive Chef, David was really pleased to read your comments about his food as he has worked hard to influence the menu and its dishes. That you enjoyed his food is a huge reward for his team's efforts.

I do hope that it will not be too long before you make a return visit to us.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We attended a wedding reception and had a great time. The hotel is set in a lovely location by the river and from the moment we arrived we were made most welcome. Food at the reception was very good quality and taste, especially as they were catering for over 90 people. Breakfast was buffet style for the wedding party which is not too our liking but the food was OK and service very good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Priest House. I am pleased you felt so welcome, we aim and work hard to deliver a personal level of service and positive comments, such as yours, are a great motivator for the team.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The setting by the river is very nice but this comes at a price - Mosquitoes, so don't forget the Deet.

We had a "Garden Room". Does this conjure up an image of a picturesque setting surrounded by flowers and plants. The reality is the "Garden Rooms" are in the accommodation block on the left as you approach the hotel. Our upstairs room was reached via a dirty, scruffy staircase badly in need of refurbishment. The "garden" adjacent to the first floor rooms is a steep slope with a variety and good quantity of weeds

The room which doesn't have air-conditioning had reasonable storage space for a few nights stay. The en-suite was adequate. The net curtains at the windows were in need of an urgent clean as the bottoms of the nets were black.
The sound proofing between rooms is also very poor. You could hear conversations from an adjacent room which didn't help "sleep quality" when said conversations took place after 1.00 a.m. and again around 5 o'clock in the morning.

Breakfast was a joke. Items constantly ran out and it was an age before they were replenished. When asked for bacon a waiter said he had just put some out and seemed surprised it had already gone. But that was because so many people were waiting. Maybe it was a surprise to the hotel that they had so many guests.

At the price paid this stay was such poor value.

Room Tip: Maybe better in the more expensive rooms in the main house?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TonyinUK

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your recent visit. I am really sorry that you were underwhelmed by the cottage bedrooms and you felt the food was below average. If you were able to elaborate on these comments I would be most appreciative. My email address is gbjones@handpicked.co.uk