We were most impressed by the location of this hotel and I can see the attraction to have weddings there.
However we were not impressed by the service, we expected more for the prices charged.
It started at the bar for an arrival drink. The first glass had lipstick on it and as the weather was good we took our drinks the the outside patio. All very nice except the tables were not cleared of classes and the ash trays were full, that went for all tables not in use.
We booked a table in The Fine Dining Restaurant, there were five of us dining. When we arrived the table settings were short of cutlery and two side plates. The staff were most helpful and attentive though and this made things a little better.The next problem occurred when the meal arrived, no one had removed the unused glasses. This left no space on the table for the serving dishes.
Breakfast was a similar experience with side plates and glasses short for the place settings set.One glass had lipstick on it.
Overall the food couldn't be faulted, the presentation was superb, the staff were friendly and helpful. I get the impression that student/ part time staff were used as it was a weekend , some extra training would not go amiss.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a tranquil and stunning location on the banks of the River Trent, The Priest House's history is a rich one that can be traced back almost 1,000 years. Built around a mill tower with its very own water wheels, this 42 bedroom hotel is perfectly placed for a romantic break, an exclusive conference venue or a picture perfect wedding. We've hand-picked a fine selection of food and drink to compliment the charm and romance of our English Countryside setting. Fine dine in our beautiful dining room or relax in our newly renovated and re-named Millstream Bar & Terrace where you can enjoy al fresco dining overlooking the River Trent in the Summer months. We invite you to come and relax and really feel at home with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your The Priest House by the River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Priest House Hotel Castle Donington
- Priest Hotel Castle Donington
- The Priest House By The River Castle Donington, Derbyshire