“Lovely Setting”

The Priest House by the River
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Lovely Setting”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were most impressed by the location of this hotel and I can see the attraction to have weddings there.
However we were not impressed by the service, we expected more for the prices charged.
It started at the bar for an arrival drink. The first glass had lipstick on it and as the weather was good we took our drinks the the outside patio. All very nice except the tables were not cleared of classes and the ash trays were full, that went for all tables not in use.
We booked a table in The Fine Dining Restaurant, there were five of us dining. When we arrived the table settings were short of cutlery and two side plates. The staff were most helpful and attentive though and this made things a little better.The next problem occurred when the meal arrived, no one had removed the unused glasses. This left no space on the table for the serving dishes.
Breakfast was a similar experience with side plates and glasses short for the place settings set.One glass had lipstick on it.
Overall the food couldn't be faulted, the presentation was superb, the staff were friendly and helpful. I get the impression that student/ part time staff were used as it was a weekend , some extra training would not go amiss.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the out side block, it was noisy and the water ran out during my shower. it was 08...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank john w
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was certainly disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your visit with us as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver here at the Priest House.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Gwyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was our second stay here as our last stay was not a good one. We agreed to come back and see that we had just been unlucky due to other circumstances that were explained to us.

I have to say that we were extremely unlucky first time around. There seemed to be a totally different atmosphere to the place this time. We were met at reception by James and he was welcoming and friendly.
Our room was fantastic with a great view of the front of the hotel where the river is. The weather was so good that it was just a lovely place to be.
We sat outside in the evening before dinner and the bar staff were attentive and friendly. Other guests seemed to be enjoying the surroundings which was nice ( totally different to last time).

We had dinner at 8pm and like last time the food was excellent. Many thanks to the chef and his team for some great tastes. The restaurant staff looked after us and were very attentive, friendly and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. We were even allowed to take our cheese board outside the bar area to have as we finished off our wine and coffee. This was so nice, just being able to move outside to finish our meal. Thanks Sammy, you looked after us really well.

Breakfast the following morning was very good again and as we expected from last time. It was extremely busy but nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

As we checked out we were asked about our stay and it was nice to chat.

As I explained our last stay was completely different and not good at all. We had a really bad experience but I must say this was the total opposite and was a lovely welcome break that my wife and I enjoyed. We stayed because it was her birthday and she had expected so much last time that we agreed to try again. We are both glad we did.

Thank you to everyone who made our stay as nice as it was.

Would I recommend the Priest House hotel- Yes.
Would I stay again- Yes definitely.

We were just very unlucky last time due to other circumstances.

2 Thank Daniel B
Thank you for lovely review. The team are passionate about providing great service so I am genuinely delighted to read your comments and hear that you felt so welcome upon your return.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your break and look forward to welcoming you back.

Nottingham
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I always wanted The Priest House Hotel to be where I would get married, knowing it to be a beautiful setting with a modern décor inside and great service; this is exactly what I wanted for my wedding day!

Needless to say when we decided for many reasons to get married abroad I thought that I wouldn't have my quintessentially British venue, which boasts views of the river Trent along the front I was slightly disappointed.....I needn't have been!!

Not only do they do big weddings but also have rooms to accommodate all sizes. You can have your own tailor made wedding reception be it formal or just a celebration.....amazing!

So we chose the date of our wedding celebration for when we returned and sent out the invite's....yay I got to get the most beautiful hotel in the East Midlands for my wedding reception!

The day was perfect - well groomed grounds, seamless service and the all important personal touch I had hoped for!

I highly recommend The Priest House Hotel for all celebrations, big or small!!!

Thank You to everybody who helped make the 5th July 2014 such an amazing celebration.

Tina & Russ.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are amazing and definitely stay in the tower if you are a honeymoon coup...
2 Thank TINA072
Thank you for your review and for all the fantastic comments with regards to the hotel and the staff. Your review means even more to us due to the fact that you would recommend the hotel to others.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Priest House Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Myself and my wife held our wedding reception at The Priest House on July 19th 2014. I simply cannot fault anything with this place.

Location - The drive down the road alone is picturesque. Once you arrive you are greeted with stunning views of the river and cottages. The main building is a beautiful mix of modern with the old water mill.

Rooms - The Heron Suite which we stayed in was huge and absolutely amazing. It's a shame we weren't staying longer! It is also clear that cleanliness is one of The Priest House's top priorities. The feedback we had from our guests were that they were all happy with their rooms too.

Staff - Every staff member we encountered during the planning of our wedding were polite and incredibly helpful. Special mentions to Helen, who was our wedding co-ordinator and worked so hard to make sure we had everything we wanted. Also to Emma, who co-ordinated on the day and helped to make it run as smoothly as it did.

Food - The food was gorgeous and there were no complaints from anyone. All 3 courses of the wedding breakfast were superb, the hog roast tasted great and the buffet style breakfast the following morning had lots of variety.

All in all I would recommend this place to anyone. We will certainly be returning as guests sometime in the future.

1 Thank Bluecainy
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor of regarding your recent wedding. We were thrilled to have the opportunity to help you celebrate your wedding and I was delighted to read your very kind comments about the team. I am pleased we were able to help you create the dream wedding at the Priest House.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and working with you on many future occasions.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Had a amazing time for my friends 70th birthday.. was a nice surprise for her she didnt know about it..champagne afternoon tea.. staff,, food everything spot on,, would defo recommend it was very special. X been there before to a wedding so really fab place. grounds are very picturesque. Xx

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your ‘Wonderful’ review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you found our afternoon tea to be excellent and that you would wish return to the hotel.

On behalf of the team may I thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Priest House in the near future.

Gwyn Jones
Nottingham
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Impressive staff (particularly Sammy), very comfortable rooms, fantastic food, good value and a beautiful location make the Priest House a lovely place to stay. I went for a weekend break with my university friends and we will definitely be going back.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind comments. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and I will be sure to pass your feedback the team who will be thrilled with your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed for 1 night midweek. We were greeted at the reception and promptly directed to our room (no 32). The room itself is pleasant enough but does need some serious TLC, such as new curtains and re-grouting in the bathroom. A few tweaks here and there would really improve the accommodation tenfold. However, they really do make you feel welcome and relaxed. We had a large bottle of champagne which we thoroughly enjoyed whilst relaxing in the complimentary bathrobes. The toiletries in the bathroom were divine and plenty of clean towels were provided. The view from this room is mainly of the car park & you can just about see the river. The only issue we had was because it was so hot outside, we had to sleep with the windows open as there is no air con. This meant we were frequently listening to the barrier to the car park being raised and lowered but it wasn't a huge issue and had a decent night's sleep. The bedding was immaculate and the mattress and pillows were very comfortable. The highlight of our evening was our meal in the restaurant. The food was lovely. The staff were very friendly & are a credit to the hotel and although our main meal was delivered to another table before us, and then the same waitress brought over someone else's dessert to our table, we saw the funny side and it was no big deal. They even brought a birthday plate over for me which was very thoughtful. The next day's breakfast was just as nice, the only thing I would say here is that if you arrive in the later slots then the buffet looks very sparse and I did feel that I was picking at leftovers. We ordered two full English minus a few bits and they got both orders correct and they arrived promptly. Again, the staff checked that everything was ok with your meals and were extremely pleasant. My overall view of the hotel is that, it's in desperate need of a refurbishment (general woodwork, window frames, strip, re line and paper walls and new carpets in some areas etc) , but it has great food and great staff which makes this a great place to stay. Thank you for making it a special birthday for me.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lulu8847
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. I have shared your feedback with all of my colleagues.

Our Executive Chef, David was really pleased to read your comments about his food as he has worked hard to influence the menu and its dishes. That you enjoyed his food is a huge reward for his team's efforts.

I do hope that it will not be too long before you make a return visit to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!