“Exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Priest House by the River
Stockport
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed for one night on a Secret Escapes deal and wished we had stayed longer. From the reception to the farewells everything was top class. Our room was lovely and we particularly liked the ambience of the dining room. The staff were exceptional in all areas of the hotel. A delightful setting nestled in lovely surroundings.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank Janet N
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 2 October 2014
Thank you for lovely review. The team are passionate about providing great service so I am genuinely delighted to read your comments and hear that you felt so welcome.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your break and look forward to welcoming you back.

Gwyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Salcombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just a beautiful setting for the wedding. The room we given was superb. Lovely & big
We had to leave really early in the morning and the staff very helpful in arranging some breakfast to be brought to our room. Which was lovely!!
Only down side was the bar prices. But then that's hotel bars for you!!

Room Tip: Nice for a quiet getaway
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Gloyner
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your visit to the Priest House. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time and you found the team to be so helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Thanks again for your kind words.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way to the north. Beautiful setting... Just on the river bank, with some woods close by. About 7 minutes into Castle Donnington where there were some reasonable looking restaurants. Clean and comfortable, with great breakfast. The restaurant not opened on Sunday evening, but brasserie is. We stayed in a building slightly apart from the main building, and there was no phone signal here.... But was able to get it close to the main building. There is an airport and racing circuit close by and this did cause some noise audible in the distance.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olaivas
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind comments. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Priest House and will be sure to pass your feedback to the team who will be thrilled with your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This is set in a peaceful location for a romantic getaway. We had a room overlooking the front and the river so it was ideal. The only issue we had was when my partner ordered a glass of white wine at the bar, he was offered Pinot Grigio at £12 per glass, without a choice of house wine. We don't mind paying but at least make it clear that there are alternatives especially when he commented on the cost.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Tazeen R
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your recent visit; I was delighted to read your comments about your visit however I am sorry you felt our drinks prices were expensive but we believe that our single vineyard house wines at £5.50 for a 175ml glass offer excellent quality at sensible prices. However a 250ml glass of Pinot Grigio is more expensive and is clearly priced in the wine list on each table.

Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope that I will be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your valued comments.

Gwyn Jones
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were most impressed by the location of this hotel and I can see the attraction to have weddings there.
However we were not impressed by the service, we expected more for the prices charged.
It started at the bar for an arrival drink. The first glass had lipstick on it and as the weather was good we took our drinks the the outside patio. All very nice except the tables were not cleared of classes and the ash trays were full, that went for all tables not in use.
We booked a table in The Fine Dining Restaurant, there were five of us dining. When we arrived the table settings were short of cutlery and two side plates. The staff were most helpful and attentive though and this made things a little better.The next problem occurred when the meal arrived, no one had removed the unused glasses. This left no space on the table for the serving dishes.
Breakfast was a similar experience with side plates and glasses short for the place settings set.One glass had lipstick on it.
Overall the food couldn't be faulted, the presentation was superb, the staff were friendly and helpful. I get the impression that student/ part time staff were used as it was a weekend , some extra training would not go amiss.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the out side block, it was noisy and the water ran out during my shower. it was 08...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank john w
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was certainly disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your visit with us as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver here at the Priest House.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was our second stay here as our last stay was not a good one. We agreed to come back and see that we had just been unlucky due to other circumstances that were explained to us.

I have to say that we were extremely unlucky first time around. There seemed to be a totally different atmosphere to the place this time. We were met at reception by James and he was welcoming and friendly.
Our room was fantastic with a great view of the front of the hotel where the river is. The weather was so good that it was just a lovely place to be.
We sat outside in the evening before dinner and the bar staff were attentive and friendly. Other guests seemed to be enjoying the surroundings which was nice ( totally different to last time).

We had dinner at 8pm and like last time the food was excellent. Many thanks to the chef and his team for some great tastes. The restaurant staff looked after us and were very attentive, friendly and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. We were even allowed to take our cheese board outside the bar area to have as we finished off our wine and coffee. This was so nice, just being able to move outside to finish our meal. Thanks Sammy, you looked after us really well.

Breakfast the following morning was very good again and as we expected from last time. It was extremely busy but nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

As we checked out we were asked about our stay and it was nice to chat.

As I explained our last stay was completely different and not good at all. We had a really bad experience but I must say this was the total opposite and was a lovely welcome break that my wife and I enjoyed. We stayed because it was her birthday and she had expected so much last time that we agreed to try again. We are both glad we did.

Thank you to everyone who made our stay as nice as it was.

Would I recommend the Priest House hotel- Yes.
Would I stay again- Yes definitely.

We were just very unlucky last time due to other circumstances.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel B
Thank you for lovely review. The team are passionate about providing great service so I am genuinely delighted to read your comments and hear that you felt so welcome upon your return.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your break and look forward to welcoming you back.

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I always wanted The Priest House Hotel to be where I would get married, knowing it to be a beautiful setting with a modern décor inside and great service; this is exactly what I wanted for my wedding day!

Needless to say when we decided for many reasons to get married abroad I thought that I wouldn't have my quintessentially British venue, which boasts views of the river Trent along the front I was slightly disappointed.....I needn't have been!!

Not only do they do big weddings but also have rooms to accommodate all sizes. You can have your own tailor made wedding reception be it formal or just a celebration.....amazing!

So we chose the date of our wedding celebration for when we returned and sent out the invite's....yay I got to get the most beautiful hotel in the East Midlands for my wedding reception!

The day was perfect - well groomed grounds, seamless service and the all important personal touch I had hoped for!

I highly recommend The Priest House Hotel for all celebrations, big or small!!!

Thank You to everybody who helped make the 5th July 2014 such an amazing celebration.

Tina & Russ.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are amazing and definitely stay in the tower if you are a honeymoon coup...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank TINA072
Thank you for your review and for all the fantastic comments with regards to the hotel and the staff. Your review means even more to us due to the fact that you would recommend the hotel to others.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Priest House Hotel again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 8 in Castle Donington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!