“Disappointing”

The Priest House by the River
Derby, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My husband and I were given a gift voucher for afternoon tea at the Priest House Hotel. The leaflet promised fine china, a beautifully dressed table, leaf tea and home-made preserves. In reality the crockery was not china (but ok), the preserves were commercially produced in a jar, the tea was the bag variety and the table plastic, easy to wipe down. The sinks in the ladies' loo were grubby. The service was fine and I do think the sandwiches were freshly made. I wrote to the hotel manager and received a letter by return saying that he had drawn these comments to the attention of a senior manager and also the head chef. I replied asking if they would let me know what improvements would be made. So far so bad! No reply. Ask carefully what you will actually receive for such a gift voucher and if it will match what was promised!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
England
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Hidden away at the end of a country road and on the bank of the river Trent this is a great find. As with all HP Hotels we have tried the service is absolutely first rate, rooms well appointed and comfortable and the menu adventurous and delicious.
(Deleted and reposted to allow a small edit)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I'm really not sure why this hotel gets negative reviews on here. We got married at this hotel and would have no problem recommending it to anyone (weddings and hotel guests). Jennie the wedding planner couldn't do enough to help and every member of staff we spoke to from planning until the big day was very friendly and welcoming. The food was exceptional with the restaurant serving local produce and being listed in the Michelin guide. The drinks are expensive but like others have said no more expensive than similar hotels. Wedding packages do sometimes include complementary £500 behind the bar which helps so it won't hurt to ask! The day itself ran very smoothly, our reception rooms looked fantastic and the staff couldn't do enough to help any of our wedding guests. The morning after we got our own private breakfast room with all our guests around a private table which was the perfect ending and a great time to say goodbyes. Really recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
wendyducati
Reviewed 22 November 2010

All the members of staff ( reception/bar/waiting ) I encoutered during our one night stay were, without exception, polite, friendly and showed excellent levels of care and service above what you normally get, even the gardener/cleaner was polite/greeted us. This I put down to good positive team leadership from the top, and not just the fact they are all 'just like that' naturally!

Bar food was very tasty, would definately eat there again and I hope we have time to try the 3 course £32.50 2 rosette menu next time. Yes, drinks are possibly expensive as other reviews have suggested, a single bombay + tonic is £5.70 but you are in an attaractive and pleasant environment, not a gotty pub.

Only downside for us was our cottage room right next to the traffic entering and leaving the site which woke us up during the night several times and at 6am/7am in the morning (staff arriving). Next time we would ensure we had a larger, quieter room and pay more. Management did reduce the bill, which was nice and I didn't expect. Room was very clean, newly and tastefully re-furbished, bathroom too small for anyone carrying excess weight though, max 18stone I would guess due to its narrowness.

Overall impressed by this hotel. Lovely location for wedding and photos!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I was really looking forward to my stay at this hotel but was disappointed as soon as I found my room. I was staying in the first floor of the cottages which is away from the main part of the hotel. To get to the first floor you have to walk up a steep set of external tiled stairs (slippery when wet!) at the side of the building. The stairs made the cottages feel really cheap as there was falling down fence panels and paint peeling off the walls. The room was very tired and in need of painting - you could see where walls had been patched up with poly-filla but then not painted, windows were dirty and the carpet stained. The TV remote control was really dirty. In the bathroom there was no heated towel rail so towels were stored under the sink. The extractor fan was filthy and needed a good clean.

Overall, a lovely location but a very disappointing room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 8 September 2010

OK, so I love the Hand Picked Hotels group but I was a little nervous of staying here (for one night en-route to visit relatives in Yorkshire) given some of the reviews that I had read. Absolutely groundless as the whole experience was fantastc from the time we were checked-inby a chap who was one of the friendliest receptionists that I have ever met (and again so, on departure). The cottage room that we stayed in was so peaceful and I liked that it was away from the main building. The room was smallish but perfectly adequate and well furnished. The bar staff were friendly and the bar area was comfortable and pleasant. The main restuarant was very elegeant and the food superb and our waitresses Chloe and Rebecca were friendly but professional. Breakfast was great. So would gladly return again. I can't understand those who have writtten poor reviews - if my very high expectations were met then I wonder how they have cause to complain. Drinks were expensive but it is a hotel - if you want cheap, go the the pub!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed at the Priest House for a friend's wedding and have nothing but positive things to say. (Except for the bar prices, which everyone seems to agree on). Having worked many years in the hotel industry I feel it's only fair to give praise where it's due.

The food and service was of a high standard, and all the staff we encountered were friendly and courteous.

We stayed in one of the cottage rooms in the grounds and were very impressed with the style, size and cleanliness of the room. The bed was huge and really comfortable. Having spoken to others who stayed over, it seems that these rooms are larger than the ones in the hotel.

If you are considering this venue as a location for your wedding I would definitely recommend it and I am a fussy customer!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 7 in Castle Donington
Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!