“Comfortable, great location, nice breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Cheshire House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 13 Castleton B&B and Inns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, great location, nice breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2009

Cheshire house was well located in the village, near some great places to eat, ie the Castle pub. Lovely cooked breakfast, like home from home which was nice, relaxing, comfy beds and very clean room and bathroom. The owner Sue is quiet but I think that's just how she is and she just left us to get on with enjoying our stay which is what people want but she was very polite. We would recommend this place to stay to explore Castleton.

Sarah & Jason, Barnsley

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

I would certainly recommend staying at Cheshire House. It is perfectly situated for numerous walks, and close to many pubs with great food. The rooms are clean and very quiet- no noise from fellow guests. En suite very clean. Good views from window. Close to a car park. The breakfast served at 8.30 is large and very good, with different options. The landlady was very friendly and helpful regarding finding taxis, places to walk etc.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

In January we stopped at Cheshire House for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). From booking the rooms right through to departure we had a painless, comfortable and relaxing stay. When we booked the owner directed us to Castleton, on arrival she directed us to our own spacious car parking space and was welcoming from the very begininng. The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated-a kind of home from home really. It was very clean and breakfast in the morning was both extremely tasty and served just at the right time so that we could get a full day's sightseeing and walking in. The location of Cheshire House was perfect for sampling the local food and exploring the local amenities, only a short distance along the road in the direction of Hope there were even better restaurants and pubs. For a getaway weekend it was a great place to go and money extremely well spent! We will go back to Castletona and when we do we will stop at Cheshire House.

• Stayed January 2009
cambridgeshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

We stayed at Cheshire House last weekend for 2 nights.My friend had booked the two rooms a few weeks earlier by phone, however later on the same evening the landlady called to say one room had been double booked.The other reservation was made via the website and this apparently takes priority.Be warned as the website doesn't appear to be updated regularly. For example, I checked availability on Friday 12 December at 08:10 to find it hadn't been updated since Wednesday evening the 10th December.
Approaching the house didn't look that appealing but was fine once we arrived. The landlady seemed a bit nervous but wasn't very chatty , only polite conversation, no advice or interest shown in what you were doing during your visit. which I found disapointing.
The rooms were clean, albeit cramped and tired so I was surprised it had a 3 star rating and cost £65 per night.
The breakfasts were very good, although I like to choose on the day rather than the night before, plus you didn't have a choice of times.Breakfast was served at 08:30 which I thought was a tad early for for a Sunday morning.!! I also felt as if I was an inconvenience whilst staying there.
Castleton is a wonderful little place with 6 pubs , great food and atmosphere. I will definately return but not to Cheshire House. I will choose somewhere more cosy and welcoming.

• Disliked — Coldbness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
derbyshire2009, Owner at Cheshire House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 February 2009
I apologise for the initial error with the booking. As soon as I realised a mistake had been made I found another, more expensive, room close by, which I offered to subsidise at my own cost.

The rooms have just been assessed by the Tourist Board, who are happy to reaffirm that it is 3* accommodation. The room rates are in line with other bed and breakfasts in Castleton.

I now serve breakfast on a Sunday morning at 9 am, should guests wish, I ask if the time of breakfast is acceptable.

I am very sad that my naturally quiet manner has upset these guests. I try very hard to give my guests the most enjoyable stay I can, borne out by my other reviews, and entries my visitor book.
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

This is a very homely place to stay. Our room was comfortable and nicely decorated. The en suite was modern and ultra clean. Our landlord was a very pleasant lady and she cooked us a wonderful breakfast. The service was excellent. I would certainly go back to Cheshire House if I visit the Peak District again.

• Stayed August 2008
Derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

Castleton is an ideal location for exploring the beautiful Hope Valley, Kinder Scout and the High Peak Moors and the Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs.

My partner and I have enjoyed three visits to Castleton in recent months, and on each occasion we have stayed at the Cheshire House B&B. Sue, at the Cheshire House, has made us very welcome on every occasion. The rooms are a good size, en-suite, well furnished, warm, clean and comfortable. We were offered a good variety of food at breakfast, and as our days were spent walking in the area, this set us up very well. We dined each evening at one of Castleton's public houses, only a few minutes walk from Cheshire House

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleton
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
#3 of 13 in Castleton
Rushop Hall
Rushop Hall
#1 of 6 in Castleton

Been to Cheshire House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!