“Best breakfast in Derbyshire! ”
Review of Rose Cottage Cafe

Rose Cottage Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Castleton
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Ordered extra toast, quality sausage & bacon, choice of fried or scrambled egg. Really good hearty meal and goid service. Lovely homemade cakes too for afternoon tea. Definitely recommend. We always visit here ehen in Castleton - with dog Poppy who was treated to a chew and bowl of water :)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I visited on New Year's Day with close friends. I have eaten at Rose Cottage Café and it hasn't failed to impress me with its small but satisfying menu and delicious selection of home made cakes and pastries. My best friend's wife had fish and chips and we both had steak, onion and mushroom ciabatta with chips and salad. The portion sizes are just right. The service was prompt and the food very tasty. Afterwards, we enjoyed Bakewell tart and apple pie, the latter of which was generously filled. I would advise to perhaps book a table during the winter months as we arrived just at the right time in order to have a table indoors. There is an outdoor heated area where you can sit but on a cool, January day, perhaps this is not as nice an option as in, say, the month of May. Also the toilets are outdoors too. However, for an authentic Peak District eating experience with fresh, well prepared and tasty food, Rose Cottage Café is a very good choice.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Try the boozy hot chocolate, awesome! Gorgeous cakes and lovely warm surroundings. Staff very helpful finding us a table for five which could accommodate my disabled Dad.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

After a walk around Castleton we heard the owner of a Blue John Shop reccommend Rose Cottage Cafe to a customer she was serving. We were ready for a snack and a drink so popped in.

Very quaint with an interesting outdoor area, but ti was too cold so we decided to stay inside. There were quite a few people in and the food looked nice. The staff were pleasant and attentive.

We only wanted a drink and a snack so opted for a cram tea, apple pie and a coffee. Service was swift and efficient and the tea was lovely. Apple pie and cream went down a treat. The menu had some interesting background on the building too.

Would reccommend to anyone. Thank you.

1  Thank RobE16
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I'm getting a bit fed up with eating out in Castleton. Prices in all the places I've tried are too high and the quality of food, in my experience, not high enough!. Anyway, after a decidedly mediocre lunch in a nearby pub, a wander round the lovely village and a tiring visit to Speedwell Cavern, we thought a cream tea would set us up nicely for our journey home.

The pot of tea was fine, but the scones tasted very much of warmed up mass produced baking and were served with perfectly ok clotted cream sealed in its own little plastic tub and a very ordinary mini jar of jam of the sort you get at breakfast in any old b&b.

It wasn't an unpleasant experience ( I've had plenty worse!), but for a cafe in a prime position in the centre of the tourist honey-pot of Castleton it wouldn't take a lot of effort to make it a bit special.

2  Thank Claribelle