“Brilliant Location and faclitities”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Restaurants in Castleton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, View, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Castle - Castleton offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliant Location and faclitities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Another great Innkeepers Hotel - great location, excellent rooms, and brilliant food. Superb value for money and great service. Would stay again at the drop of a hat!!

Visited June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Teesside
“Lovely pub with fantastic views & great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We visit the Peak District regularly in our caravan, and having been to Castleton several times in the last 4 years, The Castle is definitely one of our favourite places to go. The decor inside the pub is lovely. Very rustic, cosy and homely. The beer garden out the back has fantastic views of the Peaks and Peveril Castle. Even more beautiful when the sun is shining! We've eaten here quite a few times and the food has always been enjoyable and cooked and presented to a good standard. Really good pub grub. Most times that we visit, we take our 2 dogs with us and the staff are very accommodating and friendly and will allow them inside once they have stopped serving food. A great pub which I'm sure we will visit time and time again.

• Visited April 2014
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
“Nice pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Ate here during a week staying in Castleton in June 2014. Have eaten here on a previous visit in Dec 2013 and that was good. Slightly disappointing when visiting in June. Restuarant and garden areas could be better if a bit more effort was made to keep them tidy and clear tables quicker. Food was average. Selection of beer (real ales) is good.

Visited June 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I went in with my husband and a group of friends, 7 of us in total. We were asked if we had booked, which we had not, but the waitress quickly checked table availability and was able to accommodate us.
There are 3 vegetarian choices on the dinner menu, which is much better than most pubs. Unfortunately for me, each dish involved one of the unholy trinity of vegetarian pub food cheeses; ricotta, feta and the dreaded goat's cheese. The dominance of these cheeses on vegetarian menus countrywide has served to deter me from eating them ever again! Luckily, the starter menu featured beer battered mushrooms, so I asked if I could substitute the goat's cheese in the salad with those. The waitress came up with the idea of ordering the mushrooms and 2 side salads for £5, which made an adequately sized main course and saved me money.
The puddings were gorgeous and I was spoiled for choice, which made up for the cheese dominated vegetarian menu. No, I didn't order the cheese board!
I did notice there was a tomato pasta option on the lunchtime menu. We were too late to order from that. However, I would begrudge paying £6.50 for a dish I could make at home for a third of the price.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Understaffed with average food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Visited on Father's day and while I realise this is a busy day surely the managers of the pub realised it too? We were waited around forty minutes between starter and main course and when it came my son's burger was cold and my lamb was undercooked yet as tough as old leather. My husband and I had picked meals from the 2 courses for £15 menu yet were charged per course. There was minimal contact with the waitress yet she seemed surprised when we didn't leave a tip. At £65 for a family of four, we expected better food and service than this. We will not be back.

• Visited June 2014